Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

yellowmadness54 said:

you also have to take in the fact midway was behind the storyline as well.

So what? Splash Damage continued Quake II and Quake IV's story with Quake Wars, and that is all on the same plot. Have something against Midway?

yellowmadness54 said:

It doesn't flow with the plot properly. Its a spin off.

It flows fine. Doom Marine has nightmares. Mother Demon is found. Doom Marine fought a buch of demons in Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom, so who else would someone hire to kill more demons?

Stop arguing about everything.

Clonehunter said:

So what? Splash Damage continued Quake II and Quake IV's story with Quake Wars, and that is all on the same plot. Have something against Midway?

It flows fine. Doom Marine has nightmares. Mother Demon is found. Doom Marine fought a buch of demons in Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom, so who else would someone hire to kill more demons?

Stop arguing about everything.

because you are saying stupid things!
Doom64 HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DOOMS STORYLINE!

neither does final doom, and the gatekeeper and bephomat are made up enemies by the creators of final doom.

Final Doom was a sequel to Doom II.

http://www.classicdoom.com/doomtext.htm

TNT: Then you heard a snortling gurgle behind you and whirled to face one of them. The beings that still haunted your nightmares. Your reflexes weren't dulled by your experiences, and you pulled out your pistol and blew the imp to gory shreds.

Plutonia: In an hour or two, the monstrosities inside will have finished their awful task, and will be prepared, once more, to take
on the world.

As for Doom64:

The Past...

Your fatigue was enormous, the price for encountering pure evil. Hell was a place no mortal was meant to experience. Stupid military doctors: their tests and treatments, were of little help. In the end, what did it matter - it was all classified and sealed. The nightmares continued. Demons, so many Demons; relentless, pouring
through.

Sort of hints that it's a sequel.

I guess yellowmadness (Oh he is mad alright...) belives only iD can sequel something of their own. Since iD created the Doom engine for FInal Doom, and since they pretty much worked on Doom 64 too (Midway is just a publisher I belive), they can still be considered iD software sequeled.

Clonehunter said:

I guess yellowmadness (Oh he is mad alright...) belives only iD can sequel something of their own. Since iD created the Doom engine for FInal Doom, and since they pretty much worked on Doom 64 too (Midway is just a publisher I belive), they can still be considered iD software sequeled.

But Final Doom consisted of just two megawads created by two groups of people.

What, and Master Levels is a sequel, too I assume?

Final Doom was created by people HIRED by id Software. I don't know the story behind Master Levels, but Final Doom is an official sequel of Doom II. Common knowledge.

When I say story, I don't mean storyline, just how it came to be and why it was made and published / sold / anything about it. lol

PRIMEVAL said:

As for Doom64:

The Past...

Your fatigue was enormous, the price for encountering pure evil. Hell was a place no mortal was meant to experience. Stupid military doctors: their tests and treatments, were of little help. In the end, what did it matter - it was all classified and sealed. The nightmares continued. Demons, so many Demons; relentless, pouring
through.

You forgot the most important part of the DOOM 64 story text:

The Demons have returned even stronger and more vicious than before. As the only experienced survivor of the DOOM episode, your commission is re-activated.

If that doesn't prove that it's a sequel (and that you're playing as the one-and-only DOOMGuy again), I don't know what does.

Also, while Final DOOM wasn't created by Id Software specifically, Id did tweak some of Evilution's levels, and created the storylines for both episodes.

darkreaver said:

I dont care what they do with Doom 4 as long as it`s Boom-compitable

a source port like Zdoom for all doom3-4 based engines....huh thats a thought.

Doomsfall said:

I would like to see them bring the unmaker back but I doubt they ever will.

mmm that rib cage lookin gun from DOOM64 and on some other WAD's?

yeah, its a pretty cool gun. But I like the wad versions better e.g the one with the yellow grip.

I'd also like the option to have my guns in center view.

DooM 4 NEEDS more varied levels!!!Two weeks ago I installed DooM 3 again to see whether the complaints of the community(and mine) are truly justified and you know what?THEY ARE!Honestly DooM 3 is one of the most boring games I have ever played(compared to classic doom).All I see in DooM 3 are the same doors, the same boring corridors and the same boring monsters.

To make DooM 4 fun and not boring to look at(I am NOT reffering to graphics) it needs:

-Good gameplay.
-Good and varied levels
-Heavy metal music
-Not-so-boring-to-look-at demons
-Top notch graphics of course

For the episodes here are some ideas that I've had in mind:

-The first episode should be a homage to Knee Deep in the Dead in every way by inserting familiar places,the weapons should look exactly like in original doom and don't forget the bruiser brothers!The first episode could achieve the retro doom look by saying that the phobos base was the first(and one of the most important) UAC bases.The central theme of the first episode is...finding out wtf happened here.

-The second episode should present an even more futuristic base(more usage of metal and less usage of concrete for example)The weapons should be upgraded versions of the originals(alternate fire and more futuristic looks) and the whole theme of the second episode should be teleporters, finally at the end you fight the Cyberdemon.The second episode should be Episode 1 V 2.0

-The third episode should be 50% fire and brimstone and 50% something original, why?Because we need something original and this is HELL!Everything is possible here.
The weapons should be demonic shotguns made out of bones that fire blood shells and demonic staffs that throw exploding fireballs some kind of chaingun that spits out bits of bones...you know that kind of stuff.
I picture the levels something like this:
You finally step out of the teleporter and you realise that your weapons are gone(yet again) and you see the dreadful Hellfortress on the horizon.

Knowing that the heart of the fortress is your destination you press forward and the first level starts.

The first level sets you in the outer parts of the castle.Here you can see new doomed souls that await their torment, you will also find the first hell weapons.The first level sets the general atmosphere of hell.

In the second third and fourth levels you are in the castle itself.These are traditional hellfire and brimstone levels where you can see crucified victims, inverted crosses, lots of wailing, rivers of blood, walls made out of intestines(that bleed if you shoot them) basically everything that made the original inferno episode so cool.

In the fifth level you are in an Unholy Cathedral which is basically an evil version of Notre Dame.Here you can see mozaics depicting important figures of hell, demonic sculptures, altars that are used for sacrifices and epic organ music in the background(map 21 from deus vult 2 was an inspiration :D)

The sixth level should be a place that changes constantly where you can see paintings of the most evil leaders of mankind(like Hitler for example) and then at the second half of the level you are teleported to a WW2-like place(where you fight nazis, Hans Grosse and then Hitler himself :D)

The seventh level should be a homage to the scrolling faces.This is a place dominated by complete silence where only people that commited unspeakable crimes are thrown.Everything here is silent and you see legions of souls that are unable to scream and move while demons torment them.

In the eighth level you find you what those rivers of blood are for.When the demons invaded Mars, Phobos and Deimos they quickly adopted many techological advances created by man but they soon realised that they need an enormous amount of electricity to power their factories.In this level your mission is to destroy the hell powerplant that converts blood to electricity.

The last level should depict the majesty and horror of hell in capital letters.Here you see enormous(and I mean ENORMOUS :D) gothic buildings and the sky full of tormented souls is even more restless.After you kill the last remaining demon in your way you finally confront satan himself(the spiderdemon was a lame boss fight imo) escape hell through a portal and find earth sorrounded by flames.

Unpredictability should be the theme of this episode.

Clonehunter said:

So what? Splash Damage continued Quake II and Quake IV's story with Quake Wars, and that is all on the same plot.

Quake Wars was actually supposed to be a prequel to Quake 2.

Doom_RO: you basicly just quoted my entire WIP for a doom wad, except the extra weapons parts and homages

EmZee712 said:

Doom_RO: you basicly just quoted my entire WIP for a doom wad, except the extra weapons parts and homages

Hey. thats nice to hear :D!I'm looking forward to playing your wad when it's done.

I don't think it really matters who writes the story, once characters and settings are created they get a life of their own and pretty much anyone can make a good sequel if they stay true to key elements.

I think Id has always had expansions and sequels done by different companies anyway, like how Raven did Quake the Reckoning.

Besides Doom is just a good excuse to put one badass marine against a horde of demons, you really only need an intro and an ending.

As for Doom 3, i always saw it as a cinematic version of Doom, not really a sequel but a modernization, it has it's good parts but lacks the intensity of Doom.

All old weapons, i like limited range weapons that do damage over time alot, so imho they could add something like a Shaft/Lightninggun or FLammethrower.

The Shotgun should be able to hit things that are farther away than a few yards.

Big Monsters, like the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind.

A Boss you have to actually fight, no fancy game mechanics or scripts, some big thing that throws everything it has at you, you gotta outmaneuver and outshoot it, the end.

No Sniperrifle or anything close to one.

Scripts and Videos: Yes, but not too much, you should be able to speedrun the thing.

PLEASE keep Keycards, PDAs as Keys, its one of the few things i hate about half-life, every door has to opened via a switch.

I actually enjoyed the PDA's in Doom 3. They really helped fit in with the overral story, which I enjoyed. I guess I found that it all fitted togetehr in the D3 world.

If Doom 4 though isn't a sequel to Doom 3, but perhaps D64, then PDA's wouldn't really be neccesary to the overall point of whatever they do to keep it connected.

Took me 10 minutes >>

After Doom 3 you escape Mars in your shuttle alone to a giant jump ship where you get interrogated about just what happened up there. They’re returning to Earth and you’ll spend the rest of your life in a padded room. Strange things happen on the jump ship. Strange things that get explained, but you know what’s going on and you fear that you’re the one that brought Hell with you in your escape pod.

Dead bodies are found. Those dead bodies later rise up from the morgue. There’s an Arch-Vile aboard resurrecting the dead to service hell. Soon they’ve overtaken the ship with a few survivors. You all decide to cliché blow up the jump ship or ram it into the moon.

Slug your way through enemies as an “episode 1” / tutorial sort of thing and you take the survivors to an escape ship and get the hell off the jump ship before it collides with the moon. There are other groups of survivors that make it to other small ships. On your ship headed to Earth, the others go into stasis, but there’s some behemoth still aboard that you need to protect the others from. Kind of like a bonus level of cat and mouse instead of a run & gun thing.

With everything dead, you point the ship toward the nearest spaceport / military base and go into stasis for another year or so while you return to Earth. However, there are problems upon your return, and your ship slams into a desert, instead of the military base you expected. You’re a week late compared to the other escape ships.

That’s when the game opens up and you have choices. Go to the nearest military base for an episode. Go to the nearest little town for an episode. Go up a mountain for an episode. The town is burnt to the ground, because Hell landed before you. It leads to underground caves and stuff. The military base is fending off an alien attack. At the top of the mountain episode is a transmission tower that is being used as a beacon for alien ships like the story for Final Doom.

The said ships destroy cities or maybe not even ships but a portal inside of the mountain facility. Kind of like a beta portal based on the one at Mars. Close the portal and complete the other 2 episodes then go on to a new mandatory episode of a giant city ala Doom 2. In the city, there will be Arachnatrons destroying tanks, cyber demons rocketing down buildings, Mancubus blowing up cars and Arch-Viles resurrecting citizens as zombies.

After wiping the Earth or region clean of monsters, you can fire up the portal again and go kick some ass in Hell. Something messes up where the portal rips open as a tear in space where minions just flow through freely. Maybe a villain character that wants to harness Hell can open it up. There needs to be an iconic villain. You enter through the portal into Hell.

Your focus then becomes either going deeper into Hell to climb a horrifying version of Tower of Babel at the end where you face a 150 ft tall Icon of Sin and rocket launch it in the face until its dead.

Clonehunter said:
yellowmadness54 said:

It doesn't flow with the plot properly. Its a spin off.

It flows fine. Doom Marine has nightmares.

Are they caused by his Deus Vult monstrosity or by yellowmadness54's posting?

yellowmadness54 said:

because you are saying stupid things!
Doom64 HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DOOMS STORYLINE!

neither does final doom, and the gatekeeper and bephomat are made up enemies by the creators of final doom.

Your posting is worse than mine, that's a hard feat to achieve.

Wait... Doom has a storyline?

geo said:

Wait... Doom has a storyline?

Doomguy gets arrested. Doomguy gets sent to phobos. Shit goes down. Doomguy kicks everyone's ass.