Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

One way of causing specific limb damage/dismemberment would be to have a really quick and short death animation that snaps into a ragdoll (games like Half-Life 2 do this with the Combine soldiers), the animation could be used to determine what is crippled or lopped off of the unfortunate foe as well as the directions the limb or body will fly and would create a realistic ragdoll effect in the process (None of that gently flopping over deaths you see happen in some games where the guy you just shot decides to literally kiss his ass goodbye).

Quake 2 has always had body damage. Enemies limp away and stuff. Then Rage made that a focus on the game.... our enemies limp away!

As for limb dismemberment. Sure. Sounds good.... if enemies still live. But more than that, I want zombies appearing with randomized limbs gone. Why does every zombie need 2 arms when they can have 1 or no arms... if not a missing head so you need to shoot it in the heart? Randomized clothes / armor plates.

I would say having a missing leg or legs every once in a while, but too many would be either too easy or too Killing Floor. But I guess a legless zombie with a gun still counts as a threat.

I don't think demonicly possessed human is the same sort of zombie as that, Doom 3 made it clear that they aren't exactly the same thing, they were possessed while still alive and fresh rather than coming back alive from the dead as a rotten corpse.

Piper Maru said:

So what sort of weapons do you guys want in Doom 4?

The super shotgun has to be in the vanilla game and not added in an expansion pack like Doom 3 RoE

For all people crying for Romero to go back and help id make DOOM 4, here's (~1h18m) what he said he'd do with a new DOOM game. He basically said he'd make it a Multiplayer Battlefield 4 or MMO style, a "Battlefield/Fallout 3" game with claustrophobic corridors but ability to choose where to go. There you have it, would it make you happy?

Touchdown said:

For all people crying for Romero to go back and help id make DOOM 4, here's (~1h18m) what he said he'd do with a new DOOM game. He basically said he'd make it a Multiplayer Battlefield 4 or MMO style, a "Battlefield/Fallout 3" game with claustrophobic corridors but ability to choose where to go. There you have it, would it make you happy?

That is definitely the way Doom 4 should be. I agree with that.

DooM_RO said:

With the over the top pop rockets from RAGE as an alternative ammo. Cmon, you know you want to!

Best. Weapon. Ever.

I'm not sure it would fit Doom's style (I think a "classic" shotgun would do better), but in RAGE it gave me fun like nothing else.

It should also have multiple alternate fires you could choose in a similar fashion you add attachments in crysis. Like for example the shotgun could shoot a rocket propelled shell and you could detonate it in mid air to do the same damage you would when extremely close to an enemy but at a farther range or the super shotguns double barrel could fold to make a quad barrel shotgun with the penalty of an extreme knock back.

I'd like to see a rail gun. Yes, I know. For some of you that's blasphemy. But it's an awesome fucking weapon and it requires precise aiming, so it's not like it would create imbalance.

GoatLord said:

I'd like to see a rail gun. Yes, I know. For some of you that's blasphemy. But it's an awesome fucking weapon and it requires precise aiming, so it's not like it would create imbalance.

I'm all for a Rail Gun. It doesn't have to be EXACTLY the same from the Quake series. They can make the rate of fire more faster for example.

Piper Maru said:

I'm all for a Rail Gun. It doesn't have to be EXACTLY the same from the Quake series. They can make the rate of fire more faster for example.

The way I see it is the rail gun would either be a weapon you would find lying around or it would be an upgrade for some sort of long rang weapon,(like I dont know, the uac long ranged riffle or something) The rail gun would be able to shoot through walls and I final upgrade would give it a scope with the ability to see through walls.( like the Far sight riffle in perfect dark.)

Doom 4 collectors edition should be something epic: huge box with gore/dark art, thick artbook, high quality figure of protagonist or antagonist, soundtrack, some game related item brought to our world etc.

Waffenak said:

some game related item brought to our world etc.

I want a life sized BFG9000 or its not worth bringing a game related item to are world.

I want Doom 4 to be exactly what Doom 1 was. A leap forward for the industry that pushes the genre forward. Yes, this means that a carbon copy of the first game with HURR MODERN GRAFIX is not exactly ideal, if we want to keep to (What I believe) the true essence of Doom was.

Something fresh, original, and something that raises the bar and will be remembered and hopefully still playable in the future. Simply making Doom 2: HD is, honestly, sorta lame in concept, and probably in execution too. I enjoy that style of game play, and I'm glad it's made a bit of a comeback with attempts like RotT and SW (Well the latter to a smaller degree maybe), but I'd rather see something new as opposed to a rehash.

Guest Unregistered account

I just want Doom 4 to have the same editing possibilities as Vanilla Doom - despite how hard that may be to implement. Also, the deathmatch levels should be designed with a more modern touch -
hard-to-reach weapons, not hard-to-reach crusher switches. Or something.

Joe667, your post was a bit baffling. To want vanilla style editing in Doom 4, "despite how hard that may be to implement" is asking for the moon. We're talking more like impossible to implement. There is really no way for a modern 3D editor to allow you to draw 2.5D sectors and linedefs. We're talking two completely different methods of rendering graphics. I'm also not sure what's so modern about "hard-to-reach-weapons" and "not-so-hard-to-reach crusher switches." Not trying to rag on you bruh, but you got some esplainin' to do.

Besides the incredible atmosphere the original Doom had, there is another, subtler quality it has, found nowhere in modern games. For me, Doom is survival of the fittest in the purest form. There is nothing philosophical or deep about the monsters, you kill or you die. Of course there are many games that do this but Doom does it in a very honest and unpretentious way which is why it's unique.

I think this theme could be implemented in the game to give its atmosphere increased potency. This should be primarly done through the behaviour and movements of the demons. I've always hated it in Doom 3 when the monsters always had a roar animation before attacking...leaving them completely vulnerable. In Doom 4 the monsters should roar and charge at the same time, their brutality has to be done in a novel but most importantly honest way. That means no talking, no ulterior motives, cutscenes that are not dramatic (like the imp intro ) each monster should have just ONE cutscene that focuses on fleshing out its personality as good as possible. No villains with pretentious monologues, no intelligent monsters (except animal, semi-human cunning) just pure desire to destroy.

It could also be done using environmental storytelling. Kinda what Alien did but sexual imagery is substituted with brutality.

I've always thought the main theme of Doom 4 should be like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9RyWMbw79s I find it fitting for some reason.

I would also like to have secrets in the levels like in classic doom, with better hints too, it could add puzzle elements that were absent in DOOM 3

I hope Doom 4 is a continuation of Doom 3. What happened to Mars city afterwards? Was the place destroyed after Resurrection of Evil? What happened to either of the Doomguys? Did they get put into an insane asylum?

Doominator2 said:

I would also like to have secrets in the levels like in classic doom, with better hints too, it could add puzzle elements that were absent in DOOM 3

You really haven't played the game, have you? Doom 3 had tons of secrets, especially by modern standards.

DooM_RO said:

You really haven't played the game, have you? Doom 3 had tons of secrets, especially by modern standards.

I've actually beat the game, I know that Doom 3 had a lot of easter eggs and storage rooms which require a pass code, the secrets that I want to have in Doom 4 are like for example a wall with a different shade that acts like a secret door that has some ammo and health or something along those lines on the other side.