Spider Mastermind
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 4 General > You know what? I'm glad they started over.

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:49. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GoatLord
I really should think before I post.

The more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that id could have gone ahead and finished the less-than-stellar Doom 4 that was ultimately scrapped, made plenty of sales and probably even have gotten (some) positive reviews. Instead, they admitted it sucked, and are so willing to make a proper version that they just plain started over, disregarding all the work that went into it. I don't think this is a DNF situation. They're not concerned with the gameplay being cutting edge or the engine outdoing everyone else's. They're concerned with their product truly looking and feeling like a Doom game and nothing else. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but this is a good sign.

Old Post 08-27-13 03:21 #
GoatLord is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Yeah. I think the middling success of RAGE might have been a bit of a wakeup call for them - made them realise they can't just slap "id" on any old game and expect a red carpet reception.

Old Post 08-27-13 04:58 #
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

Yeah, this speaks highly of them and Bethesda, who gave them a much needed spanking.

Old Post 08-27-13 05:57 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

I'm also glad that they scrapped the project. I hope the Doom 4 has the soul of original doom 1 & 2 with new era modifications and enchances without ruining the final project. I dont want it to be exact copy of original doom with just updated engine. I want Doom 4 to be revolutionizing game like it predecessors were.

Old Post 09-20-13 19:29 #
Waffenak is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

So much money and time wasted. Bad games can be released, but since people have said it wasn't anywhere near release speaks volumes for what a hydra of a fuck up Doom 4 would have been.

I still feel that no matter what the game, no matter what the name it will still be a let down or just meh.

Old Post 09-22-13 03:01 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Touchdown

You should be double glad because they've probably restarted the game again this year.

Old Post 09-22-13 12:13 #
Touchdown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

You have proof?

Old Post 09-22-13 14:13 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Touchdown

That's just my speculation, based on the following points that I think I've already mentioned:

* They still don't have a Design Director (a year and a half after the restart). Not to mention they're looking for a lot of people now.
* They fired Creative Director earlier this year (a potential change in direction).
* They hired a brand new Art Director not too long ago (who made it sound as if they'd barely started on the project).
* There were constant changes on leadership positions throughout the past year and a half.

I'm not claiming it's true. Personally that's the scenario I'm betting on but believe whatever you want as there's no proof. I say we won't see anything new until at least late 2015 or further.

Old Post 09-22-13 14:52 #
Touchdown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

Can Bethesda get Rockstar to make a Doom game? If iD owns the franchise and Bethesda / Zenimax own iD. They can still use the engine and design the game.

I look forward to 2015 when people get fired and 2018 when the game gets released at the end of the next gen cycle.

Old Post 09-22-13 21:25 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote