Doom monster
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Newfangled Doom > Doom 4 General > Doom Beta announced with pre-order of new Wolfenstein
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ViewtifulJC

I'm not even joking

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/19/54...ate-doom-4-beta

Old Post 02-19-14 15:09 #
ViewtifulJC is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Chris Hansen
(used to be c-cooper)

I almost chocked on my coffee when I read your headline!

But it would seem that you are only secured beta access for when they eventually release the beta:

from the link: A release date for Doom and its beta was not provided.

Old Post 02-19-14 15:17 #
Chris Hansen is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

What?
Please put me to shame.

Edit:

WHEN DOES THE DOOM BETA START?
Although you’ll receive the DOOM beta key code with your copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order, the DOOM beta won’t begin until a later, yet-to-be announced date. We will contact you with news and updates surrounding the start of the DOOM beta via the email address provided during the key code redemption process.

Well.

Old Post 02-19-14 15:32 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Touchdown

Take that naysayers. :)

Old Post 02-19-14 15:49 #
Touchdown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shaviro
Team Future Chief

Well, given the quote up there I'm not holding my breath. Either way it's nice to hear something that's not just a rumor of mismanagement or whatever :)

Old Post 02-19-14 15:55 #
Shaviro is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Magnetick
Mini-Member

http://kotaku.com/pre-order-wolfens...beta-1525878412

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/do...a/1100-6417840/

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/19/54...ate-doom-4-beta

No screenshots or anything, though. Just a beta confirmation.

Old Post 02-19-14 16:30 #
Magnetick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MFG38

Kinda makes me want to pre-order the game solely for the beta, but I'm not sure if I can be arsed.

Old Post 02-19-14 16:31 #
MFG38 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Magnetick
Mini-Member

Doom 4 is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

So. I mean. I'd wait until we at least see a screenshot before we grab the wallets.

Old Post 02-19-14 16:32 #
Magnetick is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
hardcore_gamer
Fáviti Member

Wait, you can only get the beta if you buy a boxed version of the game? So people who buy from STEAM or a digital retailer won't get any beta access?

Old Post 02-19-14 16:46 #
hardcore_gamer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

Doom 4 now just called Doom

I'd go with "ugh", but seeing as most people already think of Doom 3 when you say Doom, w/e.

Old Post 02-19-14 16:48 #
Phml is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ledillman
out of the blue

I fucking love Doom games, i'm a fan of them, but I don't think this will be a good game, I mean, i'm really used to play classic FPS and seeing how the FPS games have 'evolved' the last years this new Doom game can be fucked up and sadly will be like new games that care about multiplayer gameplay and have shitty ass singleplayer campaing, and crappy gameplay.

But I hope i'm wrong, I want to play a good game... if i ever buy it

Old Post 02-19-14 16:52 #
Ledillman is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

"DOOM" beta because that's what the game's going to be called - "DOOM". No number, no subtitle, nothing. Talk about milking the franchise. This is the sequel naming lack-of-ideas disease the game industry has as of late caught from Hollywood.

It pisses me off, mainly because it's specifically designed to cause search engines to start barfing up links to the new material based on searches for the old - ie., to marginalize the existing content - OUR content. Never mind that it also implies it is somehow worthy of replacing the original.

Yeah right.

Old Post 02-19-14 16:58 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geo
Forum Staple

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...der-pre-orders/

I don't think this means beta is out, but its a ploy to get buyers. At a later time beta will be downloaded with the access.

Old Post 02-19-14 16:59 #
geo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

Phml said:

I'd go with "ugh", but seeing as most people already think of Doom 3 when you say Doom, w/e.

You're not alone. It pisses me the fuck off.

Old Post 02-19-14 17:00 #
Quasar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Suitepee

Doom 3 atmosphere/graphics combined with Doom 1/2 gameplay? Yes please, otherwise it'll probably be as average as fuck.

And they'd better damn well bring back monster infighting.

Old Post 02-19-14 17:04 #
Suitepee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Touchdown

It's hilarious. It took a brief amount of time and people are already moaning and complaining on every site, mostly with their copy&paste arguments. Just like everytime anything related to id is in the news. Cute.

Last edited by Touchdown on 02-19-14 at 17:18

Old Post 02-19-14 17:07 #
Touchdown is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kontra Kommando
Let's attack aggressively

I'm going to take a leap of faith a have hopes that Doom 4 will be better than 3. I hope that it will be a great game, worthy of the name Doom. All this despite the fact that id does not have any of the original creators on board. At any rate, there are Doom WADs by its fan base that are arguably better than the original 3 games; the authors aren't part of the original creators either. Food for thought.

Old Post 02-19-14 17:26 #
Kontra Kommando is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

I AM OVERFLOWING WITH EXCITEMENT!!! I CAN'T THINK COHERENTLY ANYMORE!

I can't believe it, it's not dead!!!

Now I am going to have to manage all the fantasies I am undoubtedly going to make in my head about how the game is going to be like.

Old Post 02-19-14 17:28 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Here's the FAQ.

WHAT IS THE DOOM BETA? HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
We will be providing more information on the specific content and duration of the beta test at a later time.

WHEN DOES THE DOOM BETA START?
Although you’ll receive the DOOM beta key code with your copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order, the DOOM beta won’t begin until a later, yet-to-be announced date. We will contact you with news and updates surrounding the start of the DOOM beta via the email address provided during the key code redemption process.

Old Post 02-19-14 17:34 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DarkSoul520
Warming Up

I can tell by all your replies how excited you all are for this.

Come on guys, this could be good!
Please be good.

Old Post 02-19-14 17:36 #
DarkSoul520 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rampancy
Green Marine

Well I might actually preorder something lol. Oh btw Bethesda, I'd preorder a rage mission pack too. Just saying.

Old Post 02-19-14 18:01 #
rampancy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Quasar said:
"DOOM" beta because that's what the game's going to be called - "DOOM". No number, no subtitle, nothing.

The guys at id are geniuses with their naming conventions. In that way, we get a totally new "Doom" game every 10 years, presumably long enough for everybody (no-life DW dwellers that play a 20yo game excluded) to forget the old ones. Next stop, Doom 5, in 2024.

Quasar said:
Talk about milking the franchise.

No no, TRULY milking the franchise would be making a hyper-detailed, one-room simulation of Doomguy's house, where he sits before a 1994 PC and plays the Original Doom, whereas DOOM.EXE would simply run in DOSBOX ;-)

"Play DOOM The Way Doomguy Played It In The Future On HiS Grand-Grand-Grand-Grand-Father's PC!"

Old Post 02-19-14 18:18 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooM_RO

Why would Doom 4 need a beta?

Old Post 02-19-14 18:46 #
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

Wake me up when there's a screenshot.

Old Post 02-19-14 18:49 #
DoomUK is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

I'd like some promotional shots, but otherwise, I don't really care if they just call it Doom. After their first name for Quake II was unavailable, they could've routed their creativity too a new title, but then they just said: "Fuck it, lets just call it Quake II and move on." Besides, iD seems to like one word names for games anyways since Doom. Doom, Quake, Rage... Maybe Doom (4) should just be called Death, while the next entries are Bloody, Smash, Carnage, Gruesome, Womped, Crush, Gush, and THE ROCK

Old Post 02-19-14 19:01 #
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DarkSoul520
Warming Up

DooM_RO said:
Why would Doom 4 need a beta?

Multiplayer I assume?

Old Post 02-19-14 19:02 #
DarkSoul520 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Patrol1985

HELL YEAH!!!!!

Btw. the Wolfenstein game also looks awesome :D

Old Post 02-19-14 19:38 #
Patrol1985 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Touchdown

I don't have any strong feelings towards it if it ends up being called 'DOOM'. id's naming tendencies (or Valve's for that matter) are a trainwreck anyway. It would make sense to call it DOOM 4 or DOOM: [subtitle] to prevent the confusion but at the end of the day, I don't care that much.

Old Post 02-19-14 20:18 #
DooM_RO

Hmm, does this basically confirm that the current Doom 4 iteration is the final one?

Old Post 02-19-14 20:47 #
Maes
I like big butts!

Speaking of screenshots, what's the general consensus on these?

Some (like the one below) certainly do remind me of Doom somewhat (e.g. those distorted, smoking buildings at the end of Doom and The Ultimate Doom, not to mention Doom II's city sky)

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/17ez158i8ewxijpg.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/17ez14gvrwmuxjpg.jpg

Old Post 02-19-14 21:04 #
Maes is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote