Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

How do you think Doom 4's music should be like?

Symphonic. Lots of cellos and saxophones.

atmospheric and recognizable while masterfully turning into more metal inspired heavy stuff for the serious action when fighting strong boss like monsters. (to hint doom its past.)

Clonehunter said:

I really don't think metal is really a requirement, if only because Doom had only a few tracks like that (Really!) and Doom II had even less. Doom did have a good mix of fast paced and slower stuff, which should be replicated. Guitars, though, would be better than techanything.

I think they had a significant amount.

But at any rate, I like the idea for fast to mid-paced thrash metal for short levels, and ambient tracks for longer ones.

DooM_RO said:

Creepy horror music like in PSX Doom with metal during fights.

The Playstation Doom had a pretty kickass dark ambient soundtrack in my opinion.

Metal music in a modern horror-action game would be too cheesy. Dark ambient is what a game like Doom 4 needs.
Some orchestraic tracks would be nice too for the intense fights. But not Call-of-duty-orchestraic. It should be something more sinister like the PSX Doom intro music or DOS Doom II Map28.

Ambient metal and drone metal are legit styles. Mix that with dark ambient and you have the perfect neo-Doom soundtrack.

Yeah some soul-crushing and oppressive ambient/ambience is a must. And the occasional "metal" but not too much. I really hope for the music and ambience to invoke moments of badassery and impending doom in a good contrast with each other.

I too want Oppressive ambient music and some points like psx doom and doom 64 and metal for those hectic run and gun situations

But thinking realistically, I highly doubt they will implement the concept of "levels" in Doom 4 as they did in I and II. They're probably going to do what they did in Doom III and make it more like one huge level, which has it's pros and cons. It gives it a more immersing effect on the player, yes, but it just isn't Doom.

I haven't heard anything about "levels" or not. So if anybody else has, please let me know. I'm dying for this title to come out.

Metal music like classic dooms won't work on a AAA action-horror shooter in 2015. It mush have ambience sounds + creepy noises sprinkled in scenarios + some orchestrated scores for special moments(and those musics must be creepy too).

Kaskaum said:

Metal music like classic dooms won't work on a AAA action-horror shooter in 2015. It mush have ambience sounds + creepy noises sprinkled in scenarios + some orchestrated scores for special moments(and those musics must be creepy too).

Did you even listen to the song I posted? Yeah, it's metal. But it's ambient as hell. Check it out. If you can't imagine sawing demons to that...I just don't know about you, man.

TraceOfSpades said:

But thinking realistically, I highly doubt they will implement the concept of "levels" in Doom 4 as they did in I and II. They're probably going to do what they did in Doom III and make it more like one huge level, which has it's pros and cons. It gives it a more immersing effect on the player, yes, but it just isn't Doom.

I haven't heard anything about "levels" or not. So if anybody else has, please let me know. I'm dying for this title to come out.

The concept of levels currently is very unmeet for a AAA game except platformers like MARIO.

Imagine this in a supposedly 2015 Doom: after reaching some room, pressing some button and ban level is over, see the statistics, after that you are put in another place wihout any connection with the last room. It's cool for 1993 pattern but not for a 2015 game intended to be AAA.

I believe that it will be a unique HUGE level, a unique and HUGE Mars station interconnected, so there will be exploration, like a semi-open world but you must solve certain puzzles to go to certain places to trigger events to be able to progress until the ending.

Something inspired for example in Dead Space 1. With this you will only able to see the statistics after the end of an arc, or after the end of the game itself.

If they're making it open world, it'd be neat if it were more like a Metroidvania of sorts, maybe with 1000% less "bomb every wall in the explored map until one opens" kind of garbage that Metroid had, and more the "classic-style levels that all lead to each other" thing Symphony had going.

And as for music, as cool as metal is, I have a soft spot for the militaristic horror rock of Doom 64 and PSX Doom

It was already stated there was no metal on the demo, only ambience - some orchestrated music.

They want to put the Doom 3 dark feel but with more open and busy scenarios for more intense fights.

D3 can't be overlooked because it was the best seller in the entire series. The only problems of D3 was the weak AI which was criticized, almost the same AI as the old Dooms(at least D3 gave you some tension, you were forced to fight because you were not super faster than the monsters leaving them behind like a roadrunner to finish the level in 30 seconds), while games like Halo brought one the best AI for a FPS in the beginning of 2000s which helped it to become the holy graal of the FPS genre. And also D3 had mostly small scenarios and lack of more intense fights and repetitive monster apparition for jumpscares + repetitive closets opening with monsters inside.

With how game soundtracks are going nowadays, pretty sure it will be highly ambient. I love metal, but I agree it's hard to execute on a modern soundtrack without seeming a little corny, like it's trying to be edgy.

Out of curiosity, for people who saw the gameplay footage, did that have any music?

Touchdown said:

Simply reading the very first post (and Caffeine Freaks post a little bit below it) in the thread that is about the first impressions will give you the answer.

Alright, alright, touche. I read GoatLord's post quite a while ago and totally forgot he had mentioned the music. Should have checked again.

A bunch of hardly recognizable covers of some known compositions, like the original? I'd like nothing sounding like a real guitar, but something warped and equally abstract as that of the original midis, though brought up to 2015 digital sound manipulation standards. Sounding nothing like either guitar or midi, in other words. Just warped. Like hell twisted it. Maybe accordians.

The doom series is a mix of action and horror, so the music should be both exciting and suspenseful. I agree that a mix of ambient and industrial would be perfect. Metal can be used if it's of the darker variety, instead of thrash like the original game.