Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakke

DOOM 4 and Perks

Obzen said:

Sure, an arbitrary progression system would work in any FPS,but what exactly would you improve,gameplay-wise, by doing that? Would Doom and Doom II be better than they were if you had an ever-evolving arsenal, instead of a balanced arsenel of weapons that each had their advantages depending on the situation?

There is nothing a skill-tree or weapon upgrade system could do that would be superior to a system based on power-ups and consumables (see Super Mario Bros 3 and Quake 2 as examples)

I'm not saying it isn't in the game BTW, I just doubt it because of how focused id Software seem to be on a fast, tight gameplay experience. Really harkens back to the id of old, especially durring the Quake 3 era where it seemed they were much more interested in crafting an arcade game with a laser-focus on smooth mechanics over any gimmicks or superfluous subsystems.

Idk, maybe I want such a system because Demon Eclipse is my favorite Doom mod of all time and I have always seen Doom as a kind of first person Tyrian. To me, a progression system similar to God of War would absolutely fit Doom.