Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dylanblitz

Loadouts

One problem im having with multiplayer so far is the loadoutslarge

I guess their trying to go with the quake live style

Thats... hmmm
Unexpected I guess?
I honestly don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, they showed a custom game mode where you had to get points to unlock bigger weapons, and also hinted that there would be a "classic" game mode which might mean you start with nothing but work your way up. On the other hand, loadouts. It makes exploring the arenas less fun because you already have specific weapons.
This kinda answers questions about what your default starting weapon would be since we haven't seen a pistol.
Although that personal teleporter on the bottom left widened my eyes a bit.
Also judging from that screenshot, the player count is at least 12 (6vs6 in the team deathmatch screen)

This is a bit grim but remember that there's Snapmap; you can make CUSTOM GAME MODES, so maybe there is a way around this. It'd be odd otherwise.

But yeah, I never liked this model, which is why Quake Live is gradually becoming less interesting to me. Well, core gameplay is still good but I prefer the classic model; everyone spawns with the same guns and same advantages/disadvantages.

I have faith in Snapmap, though. Please let snapmap be a solution to this. D:

I guess it means you can select your starting weapon before the game starts. Saves placing an SSG on all the spawn points I suppose.

purist said:

I guess it means you can select your starting weapon before the game starts. Saves placing an SSG on all the spawn points I suppose.

I don't like the idea of choosing weapons before the game starts. In Quake Live not all of the weapons are worth a damn as starting guns and it makes things a bit unbalanced, IMO. I prefer the classic style, letting everyone start with the same weapons. So you have to pick up new weapons as you go along. I prefer when skill is the only determining factor between winning or losing.

I mean, let's be honest now, with this current model, is anyone NOT going to choose the super shotgun, if it's as powerful as in Doom 2?

Zemini said:

What is a loadout?

Everytime you spawn, you start with specific weapons/items/perks
So lets say you personally prefer starting with a machinegun, a personal teleporter, and extra armor, you can get that everytime you respawn/start a match, where I may want to start with a shotgun instead, for instance.
Theoretically, powerful weapons like a rocket launcher or BFG aren't in loadouts but are somewhere in the map.

DooM_RO said:

...Why would they put a loadout? I don't get it.

One word: consoles

And it's not just a load-out system like in Quake Live. You can carry lots of weapons in QL, but in the new Doom, you can't carry more weapons than two.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

but in the new Doom, you can't carry more weapons than two.

Please be fucking kidding :O

This is how the multiplayer is then gonna be? Freakin modern military shooter style two weaponlimit. WHY???

This guy apparently is one of the first few people that actually got to play Doom4 at Quakecon. It doesn't sound overly bad at all, any German speakers here feel free to translate/summerize because I'm too lazy to do it myself.

StevieCybernetik said:

This guy apparently is one of the first few people that actually got to play Doom4 at Quakecon. It doesn't sound overly bad at all, any German speakers here feel free to translate/summerize because I'm too lazy to do it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBEfv37_k0E

OK, first half, these are the highlights of the interview:

-movement is fast, but not as fast as Quake (and I assume he means Quake 3/Live)
-there is a powerful laser weapon you can pick up in the arena as well as the Revenant power-up
-you cannot carry more than two weapons at a time (I'm not clear how this gels with the laser gun)
-there are classes, such as assault and sniper

I'll get to the second half soon and post.

Loadout: Pistol + Fist

Mission: Find SSG

Edit

TheGamePhilosophe said:

And it's not just a load-out system like in Quake Live. You can carry lots of weapons in QL, but in the new Doom, you can't carry more weapons than two.

WHAT

FUCKING WHAT

FUCKING. WHAT!

Alrighty well I'm hoping snapmap comes with some dehacked-like shit built in cause if you up the speed by like 10% and remove the weapon carrying limit it looks awesome. In other words, I'm hoping they include the toilet paper to wipe away those two big shit stains on this piece of gold.

I only use one gun in deathmatch until I die, and that usually takes only 30 seconds anyways. So Ah don care, doggie

Not sure if I dig loadouts in a Doom game. However there are different multiplayer modes. My guess is one/some of the team based modes starts you out with a loadout and there are other weapons throughout the arena that you can acquire.

Maybe death match is just plain old death match without all the loadouts and what not. Idk I'm just taking a guess here, I'm sure we'll hear more soon.

Xaero_Four said:

Not sure if I dig loadouts in a Doom game. However there are different multiplayer modes. My guess is one/some of the team based modes starts you out with a loadout and there are other weapons throughout the arena that you can acquire.

Maybe death match is just plain old death match without all the loadouts and what not. Idk I'm just taking a guess here, I'm sure we'll hear more soon.

I sincerely hope you're right :)

As far as multiplayer goes, I honestly don't mind the limited loadout. You would very likely just use 1-2 weapons anyway, and fortunately they kept this away from single-player.

Arclite said:

As far as multiplayer goes, I honestly don't mind the limited loadout. You would very likely just use 1-2 weapons anyway, and fortunately they kept this away from single-player.

That is true. MP death match games usually end up having you use a few weapons at most, and majority of the time you never last long enough to acquire all the weapons. We are fortunate that they're keeping this in MP only.

If they stick with loadouts, classes and a two-weapon limit, that kills any kind of competitive scene this game would have. People are looking for a new Quake Live, and making its multiplayer just like every other shooter out will just make it so nobody plays it's multiplayer; they'll stick with the games they've already invested time into.

Maybe it's because you can't slow down time in multiplayer? I have to admit it would be very clunky to switch between 7 weapons in a competitive MP game. I just hope there will also be a classic mode, at least on PC.

DooM_RO said:

Maybe it's because you can't slow down time in multiplayer? I have to admit it would be very clunky to switch between 7 weapons in a competitive MP game.

Wasn't a problem in Quake 3.

Ghastly_dragon said:

Wasn't a problem in Quake 3.

I was referring to consoles, sorry for not being clearer. As long as there's a classic mode, I'm fine with it.

It's likely to be toggleable or at least moddable with snap map

I don't see how this unbalances or removes skill from DM either. If the load outs are unbalanced this will be quickly learned and everyone will just use the same ones.

Does Doom really need loadouts? Doom invented deathmatch and it had no loadouts, I honestly feel that this was completely unnecessary. Hopefully multiplayer is modifiable like single player will be.

This is probably a concession for consoles combined with active things they were experimenting with in Quake Live months ago anyway. Power-Ups like Quad Damage, a special limited ammo weapon (a supposed laser gun which may be the railgun equivalent, and I wouldn't be surprised if a BFG gets mixed in too), the Demon power-up, etc. No weapon pick-ups on the map whatsoever, just health and armor. Double-jumping is maintained for verticality, but apparently no bunnyhopping since movement is a very set rate rather than having actual momentum. Loadouts let you have two weapons each time you spawn along with a special item (grenades, or a personal teleporter that's kind of akin to a Translocator from Unreal Tournament), players are kind of damage-spongy in that they can take multiple rockets to kill, no real melee besides with a Super Shotgun it seems.

It's.. polarizing. And probably going to be very bland since you can just spawn in with a Rocket Launcher and a Plasma Rifle and go to town instead of relying on spawn memorization or other factors. If the original Doom multiplayer is like motorcyclists jousting with rockets and shotguns, I can't even really begin to make an analogy for this.

Fucking modern bullshit. That's why I still looking for new Quake game. I lost my hope on bunny hopping.

Absolutely no fucking reason to play in some SnapMap classic mod, because it has no offical support and part of general gamedesign. Who fucking cares about mods? Thank gods, they already announced Clan Arena!

Guys guys, it's all ok. With Snapmap we will be able to modify stuff like weapons speed as well as make new game modes. Do you really think a classic Quake 3 style mode is out of the question? If they won't make it, we will.

Loadouts are probably a safety net to keep the tons of snapmap maps that will probably be coming out from sucking too hard. Download a random map out of the deathmatch folders on /idgames and at least half the time the only super shotgun on the map is in a secret maze where its too far to see anything and half of the player starts are in nukage pits.

Still it does seem like a cop-out sorta. There are probably better and more inventive ways to filter out garbage maps. You start with a shotgun in Doom anyway dont you? Can't be that bad.

StevieCybernetik said:

- He played two rounds of Team Deathmatch, 12 vs 12 players
- You notice the PC origins of Doom (as opposed to console gameplay), it's very fast, but not as fast as Quake or Unreal Tournament
- Deathmatch like back in the day, you are in a arena designed for fast action.
- MP gameplay feels arcade-like
- He was allowed to chose two custom loadouts, 2 weapons + handgrenade, out of approximately 8 weapons.
- There is no automatic health regeneration, instead powerups play an important role
- There was some kind of laser super weapon that spawned once in a time in the MP map (not clear if it's a BFG or something else)
- There is a "demon powerup" that turns you in a very strong demon for a limited ammount of time, you are also able to fly with this powerup
- The MP map reminded him to Unreal Tournament. It had a high degree of verticality.