Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Full body armor sucks

I don't have a problem with the Doom marine wearing full body armour. I like it as a lore explanation for why he can run fast without tiring, be really agile, drop from ridiculous heights without fall damage and such.

With that said, what little I've seen of it doesn't particularly impress me, but I guess I'll need to wait and see if I can get a full body view of it before passing any real judgment.

kelliegator said:

Duke gets drunk from one beer, the new Doomguy CURB STOMPS PEOPLE WITH THEIR OWN FUCKING LEG.

Who's the real pussy? ;3

Duke used to be cool, Doomguy will Infintely always be cooler, but If Duke wants to be cool again He'll have to get a better game one of these days.

Tritnew said:

Duke used to be cool, Doomguy will Infintely always be cooler, but If Duke wants to be cool again He'll have to get a better game one of these days.

I'm holding my hopes on that happening, to show these new school kids that think shadow warrior reboots are anything like classic fps, to get them to understand what a real fps is and how it's actually done right.

quakke said:

I'm holding my hopes on that happening, to show these new school kids that think shadow warrior reboots are anything like classic fps, to get them to understand what a real fps is and how it's actually done right.

Even People are fucking comparing Shadow Warrior with the new DOOM, I feel that Isn't right at all, because DOOM Is the daddy of FPS, So... Ya Know, we need a return of the REAL classics like Duke Nukem and Blood, the classic Shadow Warrior on the other hand, I wanna see a Reboot true to that one there.

Tritnew said:

Hmm, yet Duke has Regenerating Health or "Ego". He shouldn't be talking.

And Duke plays with his own shit.

Tritnew said:

Even People are fucking comparing Shadow Warrior with the new DOOM, I feel that Isn't right at all, because DOOM Is the daddy of FPS, So... Ya Know, we need a return of the REAL classics like Duke Nukem and Blood, the classic Shadow Warrior on the other hand, I wanna see a Reboot true to that one there.

Totally and even when DOOM doesn't have any crap like regenerating health or ironsights.

Sofar even if this DOOM4 is consolized in a way, it still seems more classic-style than any other mainstream fps in years. I think it's not impossible for the history to repeat it's self.

"Wolf3D comes and blows minds, The Ultimate DOOM comes out and exceeds on what Wolf ever did and fps genre is actually born"

Then Duke3D comes and it changes the way people think about level designing.. Shadow Warrior comes and extends on what Duke3D did and Blood also does it's fairshare of improvements but imo more suddle than what Duke and Shadow Warrior did. But what i meant with this line of text, is that it looks like history might be repeating it's self.
First Wolf 2014 came and was imo bad but still again better than mainstream fps in years but took already this old school direction with stuff like "no need to use aimdownsights to be accurate". At this point DOOM is now coming again and seems to me to be kinda the *pack leader* as it was originally and it's the most old school out of any other big name fps that is upcoming. Hopefully Duke will again improve on what it learns from DOOM since it was now mentioned by gearbox that a new Duke game is wanted to be made.

SYS said:

Well, the Player forces Him to do It, He litterally hates It.

quakke said:

Totally and even when DOOM doesn't have any crap like regenerating health or ironsights.

Sofar even if this DOOM4 is consolized in a way, it still seems more classic-style than any other mainstream fps in years. I think it's not impossible for the history to repeat it's self.

"Wolf3D comes and blows minds, The Ultimate DOOM comes out and exceeds on what Wolf ever did and fps genre is actually born". Duke3D comes and it changes the way people think about level designing.. Shadow Warrior comes and extends on what Duke3D did and Blood also does it's fairshare of improvements but imo more suddle than what Duke and Shadow Warrior did. But what i meant with this line of text, is that it looks like history might be repeating it's self.
First Wolf 2014 came and was imo bad but still again better than mainstream fps in years but took already this old school direction with stuff like "no need to use aimdownsights to be accurate". At this point DOOM is now coming again and seems to me to be kinda the *pack leader* as it was originally. Hopefully Duke will again improve on what it learns from DOOM since it was now mentioned by gearbox that a new Duke game is wanted to be made.

Well, I thought the new Wolfenstein was great, the Story on the other hand was pretty Ok I guess, but Wolfenstein Isn't really about Story or any of the classic FPS either.

kelliegator said:

Duke gets drunk from one beer, the new Doomguy CURB STOMPS PEOPLE WITH THEIR OWN FUCKING LEG.

Who's the real pussy? ;3

He wasn't jokin at Doom4 guy's expense, that would require a time machine. Granted there was once a "doomed space marine". Not the Doomguy though, it was clearly a different doomed spacemarine.

And that beer is a strange one that also makes him more bulletproof, clearly it's not your average beer.

Tritnew said:

It always sounds defensive when people go after the Duke on the Doom forum. We all know Duke is cool. No need to feel threatened. =P

PsychoGoatee said:

It always sounds defensive when people go after the Duke on the Doom forum. We all know Duke is cool. No need to feel threatened. =P

Well, No. I was talking about DNF Duke, I think Duke Is still rocking, He just needs to make a return without Embarassing Himself like DNF.

Tritnew said:

Well, No. I was talking about DNF Duke, I think Duke Is still rocking, He just needs to make a return without Embarassing Himself like DNF.

If you like Duke, wouldn't it be odd to say Doomguy will always be infinitely cooler? Can you dig something that is infinitely less cool than something else you like? Infinity is pretty big.

(Duke, Doom, and quantum physics)

quakke said:

It looks like you get lots of health just for killing enemies in Doom 4 though, which is pretty much the same thing. It actually could be even easier than regenerating health, depending on how long it takes for health regen to kick in.

Personally, I think any health system can be balanced well to maintain the challenge.

^ I do agree. Classic Doom and Doom3 did great with the finite amount of HP, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing that can be fun. It's certainly a staple for DOOM, but not FPS as a whole.

SYS said:

I forgot about that, yet another point for Duke!

Since we're discussing character design from 2015 we haven't really seen and lamenting it doesn't resemble the 1993 character design, can I go off on a tangent here and say I'm still super pissed the Paul Verhoeven version of Starship Troopers scrapped 95% of the concepts in the novel and we never saw the original powered armor in practice? Because that's one of my favorite novels - I hold it as dear to myself as religious nuts do the bible - and they totally fucked up the execution (which really sucks because Verhoeven directed RoboCop which is without question my favorite movie of all time.) Not relevant to the conversation but while we're nitpicking over shit that doesn't matter here... XD

If gameplay is solid, then I'll be happy. If multiplayer is well done, I'll be happier. If SnapChat is well designed, I'll be ecstatic (I don't have a PC at the moment and I've been really wanting to tinker with some Doom and Wrack levels lately). If the sound is well designed, I'll be pleased. if the graphics are excellent I might drop some acid (Unrelated: Probably the only way to get me to play Destiny again. Gorgeous game when you're tripping.)

I wasn't too happy with the redesign of the Mancubus, my favorite enemy to frag, although I could've lived with the Snark face if it wasn't for the weak looking green projectiles. Dodging giant napalm balls while trying to get in for the kill with an SSG was much more ascetically pleasing but hell, I'll live with it. Again, Gameplay, Multiplayer, Snapchat, Sound and Graphics, Character and Enemy Design, that order. So many games succeed on the last two categories and fail the first two (and completely omit any form of the third) so fuck it. They can put Doomguy in a Megasphere themed speedo as long as the game is fun.

Actually, now I want a pair of underwear that makes it look like a lost soul is doing his attack scream out of my ass. You can't put a price on something that awesome.

EDIT: I mean specifically astheitcs of character design in that second to last paragraph. Obviously enemy behavior goes in the gameplay category - a well programed ugly enemy is more fun to play against that a high-polygon super good looking enemy that doesn't do much but present a target.

Tritnew said:

I might be biased because I'm not a Duke fan but that seems unlikely as long as the franchise is potentially stuck with Randy Pitchford. :P

Duke could be cool again if only new game was made by some good developer team like one that make Shadow Warrior (Flying Wild Hog) or Rise of the Triad remake (Interceptor). For some long time ago Interceptor was working on their own Duke Nukem 3d mod made on unreal engine, but that project was canceled. Original 2d Duke 1 & 2 was very lame games, most sprites were ripped from other amiga games. Duke Nukem 3d was great game because of design, levels still look like not linear mazes, but on close inspection You can tell what each room was designed for, bars, streets, shops, cinema, etc. Weapons were well balanced and each enemy got it own behavior, grunt aliens use jetpacks, pigcops try to jump on ground, other ones use teleport.
PSX got also two good duke games, Manhatan Project was cool too, not as cool as 3d but still fun to play. Duke Nukem Forever sucks because it was made from scraps, some parts was very good like opening level, and some was totally lame like second level - lot of walking, no shooting and pointless interaction. Sometimes those corridors start to look cool and play well, but usually than somethings pop-up and brake it, like forced turned-gun section or ability to hold only two guns.

Gzegzolka said:

Duke could be cool again if only new game was made by some good developer team like one that make Shadow Warrior (Flying Wild Hog)

No no no no no no.. no more foreplay, take me to classic fps.

Srsly, the way they handled shadow warrior recently, is not a tribute to the real classic sw because it's nothing like it. The voice is totally uncool, level design was bad, enemies were just brought in hordes on arenas that locked the player in until cleared out, weapons felt extremely bad, weapons were generic and un-innovative.. I do agree on giving Interceptor a chance because their ROTT reboot was pretty close to that feel of classic fps.

Duke1 and 2 weren't lame, they were one of the more cooller games back then. And reason why DNF sucked hard, was because when george restarted the game for one last time, he wanted to make it a console shooter due to their own Prey succeeding in that quite well and the industry Call of Duty/Halo boom going on. Thus all the massive levels and interactivity had to be cut down so that it would run on the microsoft xbox console. See "cutting is shipping" for what was done..

Honestly DOOM 4 is looking 10x better than shadow warrior reboot (or even the upcoming shadow warrior 2) because it's less about bullshit and more about staying actually faithful.

So u didn't have any fun playing the new Shadow Warrior? I'm almost done with it and I'm having a blast. Its way better then the original game which I played to death way back when and still own.

Bit of a side topic, but I don't like the new Shadow Warrior, the original is much better. DNF is very good in my opinion, though Duke3D can't be topped, and you can hold four guns by the way (PC options). And I find it odd people would prefer the PSX generic third person shooters over it, though I did enjoy Time to Kill at the time. Manhattan Project has a frogger level and is in my opinion a garbage game. Do love Duke 1 and 2, played them when they came out too.

I also thought the RoTT remake was kind of cute and entertaining at times, but also much much less good than DNF. But I do keep hearing people would like one of those devs to make the next Duke game. Everybody has different taste.

Ideally for me it would be a new team, and preferably a bigger one with more of a budget. Maybe bring in the Tripytch/ex-3DR guys, bring in some industry veterans from Raven, Ritual and Remedy or something, I dunno, pouch developers from everywhere. Make a new team, call it Team Atomic.

(I know Remedy is busy, but hell steal one of them anyway. Get Sam Lake to write a genius Duke story. We know he can do humor too.)

quakke said:

The Shadow Warrior remake wasn't too bad, it was certainly scores better than Duke Nukem Forever. Not that that's particularly hard to do.

MetroidJunkie said:

The Shadow Warrior remake wasn't too bad, it was certainly scores better than Duke Nukem Forever. Not that that's particularly hard to do.

The problem with the Shadow Warrior remake is that it feels like they're trying to repeat Painkiller in order to impress Yahtzee.

MetroidJunkie said:

Not exactly certain, you see it's personal taste... but I don't want to create an endless timeloop here. DNF is a lot better than the new Shadow Warror. You see, both our statements are equally true in that they just relay our personal experiences with some entertainment. It's not objective.

NoirSuede said:

The problem with the Shadow Warrior remake is that it feels like they're trying to repeat Painkiller in order to impress Yahtzee.

I sure hope we're not in an era where the taste of a random youtube reviewer has an actual effect on game developers.

NoirSuede said:

This

The SW remake should've been more like the original without the repetitive Painkiller-esque gameplay.

I love painkiller so shadow warrior was right up my alley. And with extra gib able bodies and awesome weapons the game was great. And the next one will be better.

Tritnew said:

the classic Shadow Warrior on the other hand, I wanna see a Reboot true to that one there.

No, we are not going to have a game with an old Asian man who is reminded of Hiroshima when he sees an explosion and who talks about his penis in 2015.

Doominator2 said:

No, we are not going to have a game with an old Asian man who is reminded of Hiroshima when he sees an explosion and who talks about his penis in 2015.

So, by Your logic In a way these kinda Characters who do One-Liners and references aren't good enough for 2015? I mean, If You follow that they should stay In the past. :| The only thing that would be better Is If they added In better and more clever jokes.