Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Checkmate

How do I configure PrBoom to test maps in DB?

When I use PrBoom as the executable it says "couldn't open +map.wad" and crashes out when I try to run a test. Thanks for any help you can give...

No wonder. Doom Builder's defaults are confusing for anyone not using ZDoom and not in the know. Try something like this:

Engine: prboom.exe

Parameters: -iwad %D -file "%F" -warp %M -skill 4

That would load the IWAD you were editing for (though you might have to replace %D for the full path and name if it doesn't work, such as c:\doom\doom2.wad), the wad file you're editing, it would "warp" (jump to) the map you've been editing at difficulty skill 4 (Ultra-violence). You can add "%A" before "%F" if you're using an additional wad with extra resources (sounds, textures, etc.)

The "can't load +map.wad" comes from PrBoom trying to load +map as a wad (it adds the wad extension), since +map is a quake-like console based way of saying what map to jump to not supported by the more or less classic engines.

You can also use a full set of commands, though using the letters (or string variables) as above is better because you don't have to edit the Test tab each time you change something you're editing. A straighforward command set equivalent to the one above (assuming you're editing Map01 of a wad called my.wad) would be:

-iwad c:\doom\doom2.wad -file c:\doom\my.wad -warp 1 -skill 4

Paths are only necessary for wads not in the same directory as PrBoom, and PrBoom will add "wad" extensions. But use the exact input only if the string variables (%D, "%F", etc.) fail. By default Doom Builder saves the wad you're making in your IWAD (main) directory, though you might have specified some other place through "Save As".

Myk - Thanks for the in-depth reply. I added paths as in your example:

myk said:

A straighforward command set equivalent to the one above (assuming you're editing Map01 of a wad called my.wad) would be:

-iwad c:\doom\doom2.wad -file c:\doom\my.wad -warp 1 -skill 4

Now I get the error: 'IdentifyVersion: Iwad not found'
I've triple checked the paths to doom2.wad and the map I'm working on, and tried them with and without the .wad extension. Any ideas?

If you paths contain spaces in the directory names, the doom engine might not understand the command line parameters correctly. Just don't go nuts with your directory names; do not use spaces (silly microsoft idea anyway), or put the IWAD in your engine directory and just put doom2.wad instead of %D, or try using quotes like "%D".

CodeImp said:
If you paths contain spaces in the directory names, the doom engine might not understand the command line parameters correctly.

Yeah, PrBoom won't be able to read a path with a space, unless quotation marks are used.

This won't work:

prboom -iwad c:\my documents\doom2.wad

(because it tries to read c:\my as the IWAD).

This should work:

prboom -iwad "c:\my documents\doom2.wad"

CodeImp said:

If you paths contain spaces in the directory names, the doom engine might not understand the command line parameters correctly.

That was it. Working fine now. Thanks guys!

One further point: I understand from comments in other threads that your aim in this is to test for Boom compliance. Given that, it would make sense to put -complevel 9 in the command line as well, as that makes it emulate Boom's in-game behaviour as closely as it can. (That's assuming you're using a recent Prboom-plus or an official 2.4.x. If you're using ye olde Prboom 2.02, then you don't need to put anything there.)

Grazza - Thanks for the heads up. You're right, I am aiming for boom compatability on my second map. On my first map (Uac Earth Headquarters) I was trying to get the basics of mapping down. My next release will have many boom features in it. I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. After that maybe I'll tackle a major port specific release. Anyway, as you noticed, there has been a major learning curve on compatability issues beyond Boom for me. Hopefully PrBoom will take care of that.