Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CodeImp

Doom Builder on Windows Vista - How To

aye! well, I asked my question a month agoo and still no reply. I guess the guys that can help us are on vacation! I have tried something myself. Like putting the Iwads in the same map as doombuilder. But none worked!

Please get this man back to disklaasing nerds.

Another victim of that damned 'error 9: subscript out of range' right here. Which really sucks, as some Vista users have DB working!

:(

*EDIT: No, wait, never mind that fix I posted. I couldn't save anything anyway D:

Something of a weird workaround that will cost you some time and harddisk space could be to set up a virtual machine (VMWare, or Microsoft VM -which is free), install XP and install Doom Builder in there. I guess it's better than nothing.

oooh I got it working.. So I went out, seeing if I could fix this myself, and it worked!
Now I have little knowledge about these programs and stuff, so there might even be a better way to do this. All I did was changing some things in Doom2.cfg file with notepad. Probably vista doesn't allow doombuilder.exe to make changes in this file.

So err, I don't know exactly what I changed and what not, but I changed everything that seemed logic to me. Also, I got the Iwad files in the doombuilder root folder.. That should be handy cause I think I had to fill in long pathnames otherwise. (basing all of this on my little actionscript knowledge :P)

So heh, PLAS! yay, I got it working pretty easy!
NOW LET'S GO WATCH GHER DANCING HURRAY!
http://www.plasproductions.com/cartoons/gher.html

(oh yes err If you want any other game format to work you must change the other cfg files, ofcourse)

"Error 5 - Invalid procedure call or argument"
I was working on a map, then bam, happens again and you know what it does EVERYTIME I tried to re-open that map/wad, I couldn't, as if it was deleted/corrupted...

[Edit] Try 2 on making a map, only made 1 room with window and lava pit, save: test, then back to mapping, made a switch and a wall that comes down from switch, save: test, back to map, made a door to outside, tried 3D, Runtime Error 5, db shuts off, I go back in, same as it was before Runtime, did a change, saved, and Runtime again and Corrupts file.

[Edit2] How would I be able to put Windows Xp on a Vista machine where DB will work properly?

Maybe Doom Builder 2 will be Vista compatible so such things like this won't happen...

Well Doom Builder works for the most part on Vista pretty good from what I can tell. But what's this mean? And how do I fix0r?! I'm pretty positive I got the latest DirectX on here, dxdiag says I have DirectX 10. So what's up with DB?

I have exactly the same error as you, xenaero, same configuration too.
Couldn't get the problem solved sadly.
I hope this will be repaired soon.

Xenaero said:

I'm pretty positive I got the latest DirectX on here, dxdiag says I have DirectX 10. So what's up with DB?

DB was coded before DirectX 10... So in fact, you having the latest DirectX may be what provokes the bug...

You could try the DB2 alpha here, but keep in mind that it's an alpha -- it's incomplete, and there are bugs. Plus the UI has changed a bit compared to DB1. But it should have less issues with Vista and DirectX.

Gez said:

DB was coded before DirectX 10... So in fact, you having the latest DirectX may be what provokes the bug...

You could try the DB2 alpha here, but keep in mind that it's an alpha -- it's incomplete, and there are bugs. Plus the UI has changed a bit compared to DB1. But it should have less issues with Vista and DirectX.

Argh, curses. I suspected this, but hoped it wasn't true! I'll give it a spin anyway. Although, normal editing functions work great so far. 3dmode is just kaput, and I don't really NEED that.

Thanks for that link anyway, I'll see what I can do with that.

I tested doombuilder 2 exactly the same thing happens...
looks like it initialize 3d exactly the same way even if it checks by himself the directx version, really annoying

okay it works!!!!
but the beta do not offers possibility of editing in 3D mode!
(no sector up down, no copy paste tex or offsets)
i don't understand why!

maybe it's an oooollddd beta?

Xenaero said:

Hey, I just got this same error despite having DirectX and a compatible video card and suchlike. What I did was to simply re-install DB and it worked like a charm after that. I imagine a critical file simply got deleted or misplaced by mistake, or something. You can try re-installing it and see if it works for you.

What should I do with
Error 429 in LoadConfiguration: ActiveX component can't create object?

I did all the steps...

I'm getting the error of 9 when attempting to change a texture for a sector or play test the map.

I have windows vista 32 bit service pack 1, i get no visible error,
doom builder crash when i double click and try to open the program.
I don't know what kind of error is it.

Jonathan said:

Did all of that, it still gives an error.

If you get a USB flash drive, or already have one, you should be able to just download the installer and extract the package portably on the flash drive, with no installation on the host PC whatsoever. It worked fine for me, and yes, I use Vista as well.