Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Edward850

Doom Builder on Linux - How to

So your using linux, and your sitting there bored out of your skull due to lack of mapping for doom? Well today is the best day of your freaking life. Here is the quick 'n easy process to get Doom Builder running on linux (only tested on ubuntu).

---

1. Install wine. If you haven't already: http://www.winehq.org/site/download

2. Because wine is a simple install, you should get though that easily. Don't bother setting it up just yet. Next you need to download doom builder. http://www.doombuilder.com is all you need to go to.

3. Start installing doom builder. As seen in this screenshot:

4. Don't load up doom builder yet, this next step will get DB working

4 a. Download msvbvm50.dll, and unzip the dll into your DB folder.

4 b. Do the same for oleaut32.dll, and unzip that dll into your DB folder.

5. Next your configuring oleaut32.dll. Open up your wine configuration (Applications -> Wine -> Configure wine), go to libraries, and do what this image says:

Its important that you set it to 'native, then built in' or other applications might not work.

6. Apply those changes and load up doom builder. If you have done everything correctly, you should get this:

---

Things to note:
* You can edit scripts, but its as slow as hell.
* I have not tested map testing yet.
* 3d mode works, but you do need a fast CPU/GPU.

Good luck.

Awesome, works great. Only problem I've noticed so far is that in 3d mode is that the mouse doesn't wrap around - I can turn about 360 degrees, but can't spin more than that in either direction. (I have wine set to allow exclusive mouse access under graphics tab, and I've tried setting in doombuilder's settings to allow exclusive mouse access.)

In the wine configure menu, I added a setting for Doom Builder to disable having the window manager decorate the windows, and that fixed the turning glitch (and gave it the windows look to the window).

The textures selector in 3d mode didn't work - to fix that, I turned on windowed mode for 3d, and set it to use the standard texture selector.

Problem I hadn't noticed before - in 3d mode, there is no cursor/reticle, and no messages show up on the screen (like when I change height of a floor). Anyone know how to fix this short of using a marker to mark the center of my screen to be a reticle? :/

I'm using last version of Wine from git (wine-1.1.12-250-g601870a). The problem are lags in 3D Mode, such as problems with mouse and settings on the screen. I've tried to change window display settings in winecfg, but the problem stays. Changing Direct3D settings in Wine registry also doesn't change anything. Is there a way to fix this?

Doom Builder works fine, but I'm trying to configure it to test w/ skulltag.exe, which I've also installed. The problem I'm having is that I need to browse to the .wine directory not "wine".

Is there any way of doing that, or do I have to install skulltag into a no-hidden location?

-=[EDIT]=-
Nevermind - I guess I had DoomBuilder on when I installed Skulltag and it hadn't refreshed everything yet.

Edward850 said:

4 a. Download msvbvm50.dll, and unzip the dll into your DB folder.

4 b. Do the same for oleaut32.dll, and unzip that dll into your DB folder.

5. Next your configuring oleaut32.dll. Open up your wine configuration (Applications -> Wine -> Configure wine), go to libraries, and do what this image says:
Its important that you set it to 'native, then built in' or other applications might not work.

I'd rather recommend using winetricks to install dcom98 and vb5run, as they both download from Microsoft's official site and integrate much better with Wine

Hey thanks for this, no longer do I have to dual boot or use Virtualbox to lay down a quick map.

I get the same glitch in 3D mode though - no cursor, and both texture browsers won't work either in fullscreen or windowed mode. What videocards are you guys using? That may have something to do with it. ATI 3850 here, I think I'm using Catalyst 9.3 drivers.

@MikeRS: Winetricks is okay for vb5run, but Doom Builder requires a newer version of oleaut32 than comes in the dcom98 package. If you already have dcom98 installed, you can put the newer oleaut32.dll in the DB folder (~/.wine/drive_c/blahblah) and it works fine.

At the time, My video card wouldn't support d3d (not that it matters on Linux) or Opengl, so I don't think your graphics card is the problem.

I got cursor and texture browser working in fullscreen 3D mode.

If I have a Thing in the 3D viewport, the cursor appears and both texture browsers work fine. If I have no Things visible, I can't see the cursor, and the texture browsers just display blank pages. The Things themselves don't actually appear in 3D mode, just their bounding boxes, and the Thing browser won't work either.

Either way, a working 3D texture browser is an awesome step forward.

Using winetricks for dcom98 and vbrun5 ended up messing up my wineprefix (ie: the registry stored in ~/.wine/) and GzDoom. I had to blow the lot away and start again from scratch. Winetricks is perhaps not recommended in this case.

Update: I also had success fixing the mouse with the MouseWarpOverride regkey. None of the Direct3D keys seem to affect the 3D cursor thing.
http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

I've followed these instructions on Ubuntu 8.10 using Wine 1.1.6, and I'm running into a bug that I hope someone can help me with. Like some others I am having trouble with 3D Mode, but that's ok---I can live with that. The big problem though is that I simply cannot save wads I create.

If I create a new file, add some sectors, a player start, and save it then Doom Builder locks up without saving the file. I thought maybe this was a problem with the node-builder being executed on save, but that turned out to not be the case.

Interestingly though, I can open the wad that Doom Builder comes with, make some changes, and can save that just fine. It's only when I try to create something new from scratch that it completely freezes.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any clues or ideas? Thanks in advanced for any help.

It could be folder permissions. Make sure you have full permission to write files on the folder your saving to.

For some reason, Wine fills the filename field in the save dialog with spaces. I guess it then has a problem saving a file with that much blankspace in the name, as you're not saving "filename.wad" but rather "filename <many spaces here> .wad"

Click in the filename field, select all (Ctrl+A), and delete, then type your filename. It should save fine.

I also map a drive (D:\) in Wine Configuration, to a folder in my home directory (~/doom/) and save to there. The IWADs are in there too.

(Wine 1.1.19 is out now btw, here's instructions on how to keep up to date with the latest in Ubanto)

I checked both the spaces in the filename and the folder permissions, and taking care of both of those fixed my problem. Thanks much! Also thanks for the Wine 1.1.19 link.

As for the missing crosshair:

I found that if the DB window is "too large", GL performance goes down the drain for me (well, I do have an oldish GF2MX400 with chipnumber "NV11"). If it is of a given size however, all is fine and I do have the reticle/'+' cursor. For me the limit seems to be roughly near 1000x600 pixel, or any other XY values that yield 600 Kpixels. This is for the entire DB window; the GL subwindow is obviously a bit smaller (about 402K pixels for 1000x600) to leave room for the 2D elements.

I get the missing/thing-dependent crosshair with both Intel and ATI 3D drivers. Screen size only matters to performance here, and it's quite useable at 1280x1024x32 on Intel 965, and 1920x1200x32 on ATI3850. Windowed Mode won't work at all for me, it doesn't draw anything in the viewport, though the texture preview works as I move the mouse around.

In my experience, different manufacturer's GL drivers render things quite differently under Linux. I had assumed this was a Wine/DirectX issue, but maybe I should put my old GeForce FX5200 in and see how that goes too.

I've updated the WineHQ app entry with all the DLL info and registry fixes. Is there any interest in my creating a Doom Wiki page about this? Or is this thread sufficient?

Or maybe it even has to do with the DLLs. Besides msvbvm50.dll I also copied msvbvm60.dll because that is what DB actually uses. Furthermore, msvbvm50.dll, msvbvm60.dll and oleaut32.dll have been taken from a preexisting "known-good" XP install instead of the linked webpage — just as a precaution to really get DB running in full glory.

BTW: It is of utmost importance that DB have not be started before the oleaut32 config entry is added, or otherwise Wine(?) will sort of prelink DB to the Wine implementations, including its dependencies (i.e. ole32.dll, and so on), and always yield

fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionGuid 00000001 (null) 4 {00021401-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 0xsomeaddr

of which I did not seem to get out of without nuking ~/.wine (or parts of the wine reg, whatever) and starting over. (Yay for non-conformist howto-followers ;-)

Intel 2.7 ("intel") and ATI Catalyst 9.5 ("fglrx") video drivers both allow Windowed 3D Mode to work. The performance is not too bad, though there's alot of tearing as you walk around levels. I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm running xorg 1.6 with background initialisation compiled out of it.

I had a look into the DLL files, and what is set in the download pages above, what comes with a clean install of XP SP2 and what is available from Microsoft at the moment. Here are md5sums of them, filenames should be pretty self explanatory:

eac679185ad621eeace9b6b286372f27  msvbvm50.forum
157b3267a46a79dd900104f241da8c4c  msvbvm50.xpsp2
157b3267a46a79dd900104f241da8c4c  msvbvm50.vb5

e949eee7d1be07e32267fe10d9992c38  msvbvm60.xpsp2
30ea35d4146b163e91278423f32c6385  msvbvm60.vb6sp0
faa00af796756ca72a967f625e8e3042  msvbvm60.vb6sp3
f28eb5cbc3ca6d8c787f09f047d1f9c8  msvbvm60.vb6sp6

7c5bfa19a17c1f9e442b53a831a17c6a  oleaut32.forum
b3742dee858b243e77c73d2b8f7c8223  oleaut32.xpsp2
6976dbbe4c97571c86d4aa19b10b1296  oleaut32.vb5
1368457495c81b643662a8697bb5d303  oleaut32.vb6sp0
7b156d230278b8c914ef3f4169fec1cc  oleaut32.vb6sp3
7b156d230278b8c914ef3f4169fec1cc  oleaut32.vb6sp6
I haven't noticed any different behaviour with any particular one, nor with putting the rest of the official DLLs in the DB directory. Latest official runtime downloads are available from http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vbruntime

Doom Builder 2 is a .net application. It won't work under Wine at the moment, and it will probably be a long long time before it does, if ever.

I have got Doom Builder 1 running, I used winetricks and the version of Wine with Ubuntu 9.04 and it works. It crashed when I tried to edit the config, and I have not tried 3d mode, but it worked.

SLADE version 2 beta 1 also works quite well in wine.

I couldn't get Doom Builder 2 to install and didn't feel like digging into it, but a .NET app running in Linux isn't crazy; some games can run with Mono. If anyone tries that out, post the results here!

Doom Builder 2 installation asks for .NET3 to be installed, It would be quite slow running that way maybe. I will try slade. I sometimes reboot into Windows to run DB2.

sorry for reliving this old thread...
but at the point 5

"5. Next your configuring oleaut32.dll. Open up your wine configuration (Applications -> Wine -> Configure wine), go to libraries, and do what this image says:

Its important that you set it to 'native, then built in' or other applications might not work."

for me there is no image at all, could somebody tell me what I have to do at the wine libraries ?

The image is gone, but your not missing any vital steps. Although I should get around to re-doing the images.