Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Woolie Wool

SLIGE megawad screenshot

I've created a 32-level four-episode megawad for The Ultimate DOOM (it is 32 levels instead of 36 because as far as I know, SLIGE doesn't generate secret exits). I've made a screenshot of E1M8 in GLBoom.

Click me.

I was never able to get SLIGE to work properly. Even after running the BSP the wads never came out right. They werent read by anything. (no port or nuthin)

ravage said:

I was never able to get SLIGE to work properly. Even after running the BSP the wads never came out right. They werent read by anything. (no port or nuthin)

Mine works with DOOM.EXE, PrBoom, MBF, Boom, GLBoom, and Legacy. I dunno about JDOOM, EDGE, Vavoom, or DOOM 95 (I'd never use DOOM 95 anyway...ugh). ZDOOM dislikes flats with names that didn't appear in the original WAD file (such as the SPARKS flat in the hell levels) so it crashes at startup.

Anyway, why can't I send it off to the Idgames archive when a level containing no more than a huge mono-textured featureless brown room with four orthogonal walls, lighting set at 255, and an illusio-pit containing a Cybie can be uploaded? I bet the author of this spent a lot less time on his wad than I did on mine.

Woolie Wool said:

ZDOOM dislikes flats with names that didn't appear in the original WAD file (such as the SPARKS flat in the hell levels) so it crashes at startup.

Zdoom can accept literally hundreds of extra flats that were not in the original wads without any problem whatsoever, so long as they are correctly included in the wad with suitable flat markers either side of the additional flats.

If that is the only reason your wad isn't loading in Zdoom, it should be an easy matter to fix it.

Woolie Wool said:

Anyway, why can't I send it off to the Idgames archive when a level containing no more than a huge mono-textured featureless brown room with four orthogonal walls, lighting set at 255, and an illusio-pit containing a Cybie can be uploaded? I bet the author of this spent a lot less time on his wad than I did on mine.

If they allowed SLIGE wads the entire archive would be full of randomly generated SLIGE levels. If I want to play a SLIGE level I'll run SLIGE myself.

It is also a waste of space. You can encode the entire wad as a single number used to seed the SLIGE random number generator. If you think you've found a special or unique level just put the number on your website.

Oh, and you didnt make it.

I put in more effort than you think. I didn't, and still don't know how to generate multiple levels at once with SLIGE so I had to build each individual map into its own wad file, edit EVERY SINGLE MAP NAME IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE 32 WADS, EXCEPT FOR THE LEVEL I CHOSE AS E1M1, and merge all of them into one. In the screenshot, I also loaded the SiN DM wad for more powerful weapons to make the fights with many enemies less tedious, hence the changed shotgun.

I managed to get some FTP space from this retard called Executor (I hated him almost as soon as I met him). I now have unlimited bandwidth and the ability to remote-load files, and no dependence on Geoshitties. That means...

DOWNLOAD TIME!

Woolie Wool said:

I put in more effort than you think. I didn't, and still don't know how to generate multiple levels at once with SLIGE so I had to build each individual map into its own wad file, edit EVERY SINGLE MAP NAME IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE 32 WADS, EXCEPT FOR THE LEVEL I CHOSE AS E1M1, and merge all of them into one. In the screenshot, I also loaded the SiN DM wad for more powerful weapons to make the fights with many enemies less tedious, hence the changed shotgun.

You didnt make the _level_. That is the part that generally matters.

I could write a script to build as many 32 level SLIGE megawads as I want, but it would be pointless. There is generally no real distinction between any two randomly generated SLIGE levels anyway so I might as well just run them seperately.

Woolie Wool said:

I LIKE my megawad

To call it "your" megawad is stupid. If I turn my radio on without tuning it in and record the static, is that "my" static?

Enjay said:

Zdoom can accept literally hundreds of extra flats that were not in the original wads without any problem whatsoever, so long as they are correctly included in the wad with suitable flat markers either side of the additional flats.

If that is the only reason your wad isn't loading in Zdoom, it should be an easy matter to fix it.

Each flat has FF_START above it, and FF_END and F_END below it. Do I need an F_START?

The compliation of the WAD really could be improved. There are multiple copies of a number of lumps - especially the new flats, there are F_END markers without F_START markers (I believe this problem is a SLIGE thing) and general disorganisation inside the WAD structure. I don't mean the levels, I haven't really tried them, but the lumps within the WAD need a bit of sorting out.

Yes, you are correct, Zdoom refused to load the file. After 5 minutes fixing it by taking out the multiple lumps and incorrect markers, and sorting out a few other things the file was almost 1 megabyte smaller and loaded without complaint from Zdoom.

Original file 2.77 MB big, fixed file 1.93 MB big, and able to be loaded by Zdoom.

I think we might be cross posting here.

I already downloaded it, had a look and fixed it. It is now a lot smaller (the zip is 692KB) and I'm pretty sure it is working like it should. Zdoom certainly likes it now.

Edit: Prboom seems OK with the fixed version too (I've only tried a couple of levels in either port). You got an e-mail addy you want me to send it to? I'm off to bed now, but I'll check this thread when I get home from work tomorrow.

BTW, I used the DeePsea PWad lump fixing tool (under the F7 options) to do the fixing.

Enjay said:

I already downloaded it, had a look and fixed it. It is now a lot smaller (the zip is 692KB) and I'm pretty sure it is working like it should. Zdoom certainly likes it now.

Edit: Prboom seems OK with the fixed version too (I've only tried a couple of levels in either port). You got an e-mail addy you want me to send it to? I'm off to bed now, but I'll check this thread when I get home from work tomorrow.

BTW, I used the DeePsea PWad lump fixing tool (under the F7 options) to do the fixing.

Upload it or mail it to me.

wool@doomworld.zzn.com

P.S. PrBoom already liked my WAD

Enjay said:

you just did all that on your own? that was nice of you! I think the pnames and such need working out in my megawad (and some redundant patches), but that's easy enough for me to do

It says in the slige TXT to run zdoom with -noflathack, did you try that? Slige CAN make 9 level doom WADs. Slige maps are (fortunately) banned from the idgames Archive... I suppose one can offer a slige WAD for download on his own page if there's a reason to, but most maps made by it aren't very interesting. I often use it to make place-holders when I'm building an unfinished WAD or when I am testing something that needs a map (DEH patch, etc.)

Woolie Wool said:

I've created a 32-level four-episode megawad for The Ultimate DOOM (it is 32 levels instead of 36 because as far as I know, SLIGE doesn't generate secret exits). I've made a screenshot of E1M8 in GLBoom.

Click me.

WOW! Its a white Page!, U must teach me your secret on how to get a page so white. :P *hint, hint, Nudge, nudge*

While we're on this subject, does anyone have a good guide to adding on to the Slige config file? The info that comes with it just doesn't cut it.

Woolie Wool said:

P.S. PrBoom already liked my WAD

I thought it might. All I meant was that I had tested the fixed version and it still worked, so I hadn't done anything to break it in PRBoom.

Also, I just noticed the SKY1 patch is 320x200 but was still part of a 256x128 texture. I shrunk the patch to 256x128 and that reduced the file size again.

File getting sent right now.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I'm pretty sure it is OK, but if you do spot something I messed up, just give me a shout.

kristus said:

OMFG!!

Woolie Wool: Are you're real name by any chance, Joey Mendez?

Who the goddamn fucking (insert more gratuitous expletives here) is Joey Mendez?

I've taken Enjay's revised version of my megawad, added some music to the wad, and put into the zip a very difficult expansion pack called Wool's Chaos. Wool's Chaos takes advantages of the "-biwe", "-levels", and "-bimo!" parameters to create an incredibly tough wad with 36 levels.

Click me or else