Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > X And Y Offset ???

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:32. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AngelOfDeath

Can someone explain x and y offset to me.
Like what to set them at if my walls have the same texture
but the sectors go down 16 for every stair.
If it helps the line and sector height is 128 width 64.
I need to make txextures look smooth.

Old Post 07-20-01 04:05 #
AngelOfDeath is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Espi
Möh.

Most editors can set the offsets automatically, but WadEd can't, so I have quite some experience of this :)

All the lines are offset from left to right, so start with the side of your stairs that starts from left and up, then goes down. You didn't say if the lines on the side of the stairs are one sided or two sided, so this is the case of 1-sided linedefs.

The first line, if the ceiling also goes down 16 units, has to have an Y offset of 16, so it's moved up. If the ceiling height doesn't change, there is no need to change the Y offset. The second line, if the lines are all 64 units wide, and the texture is wider than 64 units, has to have X offset of 64, and 16 more of Y offset if needed, so it's 32. The third line's Y offset should be 48, and If the texture you use is wider than 128 units, X offset should be increased by 64, so it's 128, and so on...

mirror the Y offsets to the other side of the stairs, and align the X offsets, starting again from the left.

I hope this makes some sense, it sounds more complicated than it really is when one gets the hang of it.

Old Post 07-20-01 10:42 #
Espi is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fanatic
Old Post 07-20-01 13:09
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]
Katgut
Post Out Of Order

Y offset affects a textures left-right offset (moves it left or right by Y pixels).

X offset affects a textures up-down offset (moves it up or down by X pixels).

(snip)

Marc, you got it backwards - X is left/right, Y is up/down.

Old Post 07-20-01 15:31 #
Katgut is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vorpal

Katgut is right. But what is this I hear about editors that can automatically align textures? That sounds damn nice...

Old Post 07-20-01 15:34 #
Vorpal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote