Cacodemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > An editing question
Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 15:42. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
deathz0r
Bitch fuckin' stole me chaingun!

for me, i'd say 6 or 7.

detailed self-review:

creativity/originality: 10 - I think of the most craziest stuff ever. Even Hyena says I'm crazy. And now that I'm learning ZDoom stuff again... mwahahahaha!
detailing: 4 - I suck, unless I really put dedication into it. However, I'm prone to using doom2.exe tricks.
gameplay: 9 - Believe it or not, I have a really good sense of item and monster placement. I don't usually put in much health, though.

Old Post 11-03-02 14:34 #
deathz0r is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Tarin said:
When you all are so good at editing and designing, why don't we see a dozen 1337 maps in /newstuff each week?
Just cause we're so amazing it doesn't mean we aren't lazy basrads :P

Fine, I'll give myself a -5 for getting wads done.

Old Post 11-03-02 14:35 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deathz0r

Ultimate DooMer said:
12 for innovative ideas/concepts
elaborate on your definition of "innovative ideas/concepts".

Old Post 11-03-02 14:37 #
deathz0r is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deathz0r

Archvile64 said:
Fine, I'll give myself a -5 for getting wads done.
work on udm2 you lazy basrad

while i'm on subject, why are you never on AIM?

Old Post 11-03-02 14:38 #
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

deathz0r said:
elaborate on your definition of "innovative ideas/concepts".

New level designs/themes that had never been done before (eg. remote island, a ship at sea, barren desert, a map with no walls), clever new features that are really cool (eg. blackout, flooding mine, elemental tests, timed sections) and concepts like setting all the levels in a world (together with a storyline), so you feel like you're actually going places while playing it.

/me now sits back and awaits the inevitable flamewar...

Old Post 11-03-02 19:17 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DOOM Anomaly
I am Weird Al

Ultimate DooMer said:

(eg. remote island, a ship at sea, barren desert, a map with no walls)

Well to tell the truth, I was going to, but now u just ruined the whole thing :P

I Love Picklehammer! Do You?

Old Post 11-03-02 19:19 #
DOOM Anomaly is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

DOOM Anomaly said:
Well to tell the truth, I was going to, but now u just ruined the whole thing :P

blame deathy, he asked the question....

But you can still do a map like that. Just because I made a map like that a year ago (Fragport map 31) doesn't mean you can't make one as well. (as long as it's different from mine)

Old Post 11-03-02 19:29 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

deathz0r said:
work on udm2 you lazy basrad
No.

Actually, I'm working on Freedoom. Really. I've got a level done already, and I'm on a good roll with another one.

while i'm on subject, why are you never on AIM?
Have you tried adding Hyzdu the Dragon to your buddy list?

Old Post 11-03-02 21:54 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deathz0r

Ultimate DooMer said:
a map with no walls
that's easy to do, plus it's not original.

Old Post 11-04-02 02:28 #
deathz0r

Archvile64 said:
Have you tried adding Hyzdu the Dragon to your buddy list?
did just then.

Old Post 11-04-02 02:30 #
The Ultimate DooMer

deathz0r said:
that's easy to do, plus it's not original.

Of course it's easy to do, (especially with custom graphics) but why was it not original? (in other words, who got there first?)

Old Post 11-04-02 11:44 #
DooMer 4ever
Forum Regular

Hmm, maybe

8 for architecture
7 for detail
6 for gameplay

Old Post 11-04-02 11:47 #
DooMer 4ever is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mordeth
Administrator

DooMBoy said:
I would rate myself at about a 7.

I take it you finally got doors working properly? :)

Old Post 11-04-02 13:42 #
Mordeth is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Mordeth said:

Ouch. That had to hurt :)

Old Post 11-04-02 13:51 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

Tarin said:
When you all are so good at editing and designing, why don't we see a dozen 1337 maps in /newstuff each week?

Because we are slow... :P

Old Post 11-04-02 15:36 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

Tarin said:

I sent my version of E1M8 to the /newstuff, but it didn't show up. Right now, I'm hip deep in my rendition of E1M7 :)

Old Post 11-04-02 17:08 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag

Mordeth said:

ZING!

Old Post 11-04-02 21:03 #
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Mordeth said:

. . .

Old Post 11-04-02 21:08 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

DooMBoy said:

I sent my version of E1M8 to the /newstuff, but it didn't show up.

Did you actually send it to /newstuff, or /incoming?

You are supposed to upload to /incoming. From there it is vetted to see if it complies with the archive rules, and then it is moved to /newstuff and its permanent home in the appropriate archive directory. You should not try to upload to /newstuff

Old Post 11-04-02 21:42 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deathz0r

Mordeth said:

heh, it took me four and a half years to make a two-room level.

Old Post 11-04-02 22:01 #
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Mordeth said:

Rather oddly, and just by chance, the first moving sector effect I ever got to work was a rising staircase. The problem was, it took me another 6 or 7 years to figure out how I'd managed to get it right in the first place as every one I tried after that didn't work as I wanted or expected it to.

:-/

Old Post 11-04-02 22:12 #
Enjay is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
timmie
2 legit 2 quit!

a solid 1. Seriously. That's why I'm a programmer...

Old Post 11-04-02 22:17 #
timmie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Spike
Team Future has a new Giger-esque in the works

I'll be generous and give myself a 7.

I've shied away from some of the advanced tricks as they had a tendency to fuck-up with Gl ports (Jdoom in my case), but the gwa-build mode on GlBSP seems to sort these out completely, so i've been using a lot of instant-floor tricks as well as transparant doors in the latest wads.

As for the lack of maps on /newstuff - we've released one teaser from our megawad project. Maybe a few more later on.

The best bit about editing lately, tho, is the XGdata. The scripting, ambient sounds, coloured lighting and linked events lend to the atmosphere.

Old Post 11-04-02 22:21 #
Spike is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Spike said:
I've shied away from some of the advanced tricks as they had a tendency to fuck-up with Gl ports (Jdoom in my case), but the gwa-build mode on GlBSP seems to sort these out completely, so i've been using a lot of instant-floor tricks as well as transparant doors in the latest wads.

Neat. I might then compile a GL-ready version of my maps then, since I rely on many of these for effects (it being a doom-compatible WAD.)

Old Post 11-05-02 00:19 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer

Spike said:
As for the lack of maps on /newstuff - we've released one teaser from our megawad project. Maybe a few more later on.

Is that for this week's newstuff? If so, which wad is it?

Old Post 11-05-02 23:57 #
Kid Airbag

Ultimate DooMer said:

Is that for this week's newstuff? If so, which wad is it?

Nah, they released one a while ago...

Old Post 11-06-02 01:28 #
Sphagne

Hmm, somewhere between 1-10 compared to others. ;)

Old Post 11-06-02 11:28 #
Sphagne is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheHighestTree
Retard

I hate rating myself :P

...but I consider myself in 7 or 8 range...i've actually never released a map yet (damn megawad), but i have ~2 years experience. I can only edit vanilla levels, but they usually turn out quite well once i'm done, especially gameplay-wise

Old Post 11-06-02 16:05 #
TheHighestTree is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote