Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Bug?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:36. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tormentor667

I got an ZDoom Bug called:

Z_Malloc: Failed to allocate "X" Bytes :(

What about this and how to fix it?

**EDIT**

The bad thing about it: I can't play my map anymore because of that bug :( ZDoom always crashes and tells me about this problem :(

Last edited by Tormentor667 on 12-23-02 at 23:20

Old Post 12-23-02 22:45 #
Tormentor667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

It's not really a bug. It just means there's not enough memory being set aside for whatever map you're playing. You can edit that .bat to add this:

zdoom -file filename.wad -heapsize 16

This should give you enough memory. If not, try using 24 or 32 instead.

Old Post 12-23-02 23:29 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

Or you could try a newer version of ZDoom, as they don't crash with this bug. (in my experience, anyway. I got crashes in LTSD's two biggest maps with 1.23b33, but not with v25)

Ichor: what's the default heapsize? (just interested)

Old Post 12-23-02 23:45 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tormentor667

Workz :) Thx!

Question: Is this problem machine specific or is this a map problem?

Old Post 12-24-02 00:36 #
Tormentor667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor

I think it's 8.

And the real big maps can cause the Z_Malloc error. The worst thing about this is if you get it when you try to save your game, it crashes like usual, but it also erases any previous saved game in that particular slot.

Old Post 12-24-02 00:40 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

It could be machine-specific, as if you have a machine (usually a low-end one) with not much free HD space on it, ZDoom might crash with a Z_Malloc when you try to save (I got this on a P200 playing an 1100-sector map with one script running at the time). It's also map related, as the maps I got a crash on both had 1400+ sectors in (playing on a duron 700), along with a ton of things and some complex scripts.

Old Post 12-24-02 01:12 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
deep
as in Deepsea

As Ichor stated. It's level dependent, especially if hi-res textures are used. A safe value is -heapsize 30 (for now). If one has at least 256mb of real memory, have at it. This same type of thing applies to the other ports too (that accept overrides).

Too bad the various ports couldn't standardize on just this simple name though. Some use -mb 30 some -maxzone 30 BAH!

Old Post 12-24-02 01:43 #
deep is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tormentor667

Hmm... so I should write something like this in my readme txt because my map has now over 5000 sectors and sometimes about 4 scripts running at the same time ;)

Thx for the help :)

Old Post 12-26-02 13:18 #
boris
meow

5000 sectors? Vrack2 has "only" ~2500!

Old Post 12-26-02 13:25 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
stphrz
I use a blowtorch to make crème brûlée

Sweet Jesus.

Old Post 12-26-02 13:34 #
stphrz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
NiGHTMARE
Forum Legend

Doesn't mean it's detailed, it could just be *very* big :)

Paradox: The gateways have re-opened. But this time it isn't hellspawn who've come through...

Old Post 12-26-02 14:16 #
NiGHTMARE is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Ichor

I don't think having a bunch of scripts running at the same time would be that much of a problem. Some of my maps have at least a half dozen scripts running (mostly lighting scripts and puzzles) with no errors. The only problems I had were on map 5 (Haunted Castle), but that was because of its size. Even that went away when I increased the heapsize.

Old Post 12-26-02 14:50 #
Tormentor667

@Nightmare - It IS detailed ;)

Old Post 12-27-02 13:12 #
deep
as in Deepsea

Tormentor667 said:
@Nightmare - It IS detailed ;)
Maybe there's some miscommunication here? 5000 sectors would tend to have around 15,000 (or more) linedefs. A level that size wouldn't work unless you let the -latest- ZDOOM build the nodes (+gennodes 1).

But you could be right - it's just unusual. ZDOOM could be doing the nodes automatically. I tested this but forget if it did or didn't kick in - I was after some other issue - IIRC it didn't. Enjay or somebody else with more time spent probably remembers better.

Which reminds me, Randy in the next release has fixed the ZDOOM internal nodebuilder to support over 32k linedefs and goes over 64k segs (the latter is usually what stops big levels from working - it's 32k for stock nodes to give you an idea).

Old Post 12-27-02 17:56 #
deep is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

The map only has 1725 sectors.

Old Post 12-27-02 18:20 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Tormentor667

? Only 1725 ?

Well, but if I open it with a editor, the last sector created has the sector id "5200" (or sth. like this). Why has the editor left out all sector numbers from 1000 to 5000?!

Old Post 12-27-02 18:28 #
boris
meow

Tormentor667 said:
? Only 1725 ?

Well, but if I open it with a editor, the last sector created has the sector id "5200" (or sth. like this). Why has the editor left out all sector numbers from 1000 to 5000?!

http://boris.slipgate.org/tnt2stats.png

Old Post 12-27-02 18:40 #
Biffy
Forum Regular

Are you talking about tnt2.wad? I noted in several other posts that this wad has a very strange sector problem, thousands of sectors seem to be "compressed" into zero space and don't appear on the map although they are in the database. One of the errors DeePsea fixed was to eliminate thousands of "unused" sectors and sidedefs. I think your wad editor is malfunctioning.

Have you received the fixed tnt2 I sent you? Do you see a difference?

Oh, I see your update in the wads forum, so you have it. :) It only lost 4 - 5 MB, huh?

Old Post 12-27-02 18:43 #
Biffy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote