Severed bunny head
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Palette Problems

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

When I take an existing DooM 2 texture, flat or sprite and colourise it in Paint Shop Pro, the colour goes all crappy when loaded into a wad with Wintex. (as if I was going from 24-bit to 256 colours, even though I'm not, as they're 256 colours to start with - PSP even says so)

When I play around with the various features (brightness, hue, saturation etc.) I can sometimes get it to screw up less, and with some colours (eg. red, grey) it doesn't screw up at all.

Is this a fault in PSP (does it always save bitmaps as 24-bit, thus producing this effect), or am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way of doing this (apart from doing it manually with Paint, which takes forever)

Old Post 12-28-02 18:37 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ichor
The Mysterious Red Square

I have to deal with this problem all the time. Before putting the picture in Wintex, apply the Doom 2 (or Heretic or Hexen, depending on the game you're working with) palette to it (Nearest color matching). This way, Wintex won't foul up the colors.

Old Post 12-28-02 19:26 #
Ichor is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
The Ultimate DooMer
(former) /newstuff Chronicler

In which case, where is the DooM 2 palette found? (assuming you mean load the palette in with PSP)

Old Post 12-28-02 21:48 #
The Ultimate DooMer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

Take any graphic, and save the pallete from there. Now you have the Doom Pallete. :)

Old Post 12-28-02 21:54 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

http://members.dodo.net.au/~mmnpsrsoskl/doompal.zip

Use that as your base for your palette :P

Old Post 12-29-02 00:35 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote