Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

Need detailed list of Sprites

Is there a detailed list of sprites posted somewhere? I'm trying to catagorize all the images (graphics, text, sprites etc) and though 95% of ctagorizing is a no brainer, i'm getting confused and i want to make sure i have everything in their respective folders for easy editing.

Some of the issues i'm facing involves some groupings of sprites...

such as
the apparently 2 groupings of mancubus fireballs... almost identical...

What sprites compose the rocket trails from the revanant...

what sprites are used for the teleporter, the archviles 'attack', the spawnspot 'fire'...

and why are there Blue plasma bullets, or 2 similar BFG plasma blasts?

I'm not looking for someone to answer all these, since there will be more thinngs ill need help with on this... but a list of sprites and grahics with a brief description of some of the groupings would be most helpful.

Ive tried cross referencing the names of sprites between dehacked, wintex, doomview... but thats not exactly working either.

please... show me the way!

p.s. I'm relatively new to the doomworld forums, so please be patient with me when i screw up my postings! Thanks I do like it here.

Welcome to the fun. :)

I'll just suggest first that you don't worry, there are some differences in how those programs display the information. But, using Wintex, you can view the entries exactly as they are written in the wad file. The category buttons help to filter to the matter of interest.

Soon, someone else should tell you about other editing utilities and their advantgages.

Teleporter is the green foggy stuff, tfoga0 - tfogj0.

The spawnspot fire is the same as the archvile flames which precede his "whack" on you, firea0 - fireh0.

Look at the graphics...Wintex displays them...you can see what sort of things they are used for.

Edit..heh, I dawdled. Hey.

BlueBeast said:
Is there a detailed list of sprites posted somewhere?

No. But try any WAD tool to see such a list.

the apparently 2 groupings of mancubus fireballs... almost identical...

They are. The mancubus attack codepointer makes it spawn two projectiles.

What sprites compose the rocket trails from the revanant...

Same as bullet puffs.

what sprites are used for the teleporter, the archviles 'attack', the spawnspot 'fire'...

TFOGx, FIREx (?) and BFOGx.

and why are there Blue plasma bullets, or 2 similar BFG plasma blasts?

The "blue plasma bullets" are probably the sprites from the item respawn fog (deathmatch mode); the BFG projectile consist of two frames because it is animated.

Ive tried cross referencing the names of sprites between dehacked, wintex, doomview... but thats not exactly working either.

Dehacked does use the same frame names as used in the WAD file itself.

Hope this helps,

On my site, you may find some info that will help you out (they are biggish tables, so take a little while to load on a slow modem - not too long though, just don't click "stop" thinking the page isn't there because it should be).

This one says it is the frame number and the letters associated with that number, but it would be more accurate to say it is the sprite code number, and the letters associated with that code. I'll have to change it.

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/doomsprites3.htm

Same info, just formatted differently

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/doomsprites4.htm

Both of which are on my site under the "Doom General" button.

It maybe worth pointing out that the Revenant firball trail does indeed use the bullet puff sprites for its trail, but it actually spawns 2 items that uses the same sprites.

It spawns a fireball trail that uses frames 311-315, using sprites PUFFB0, PUFFC0, PUFFB0, PUFFC0, PUFFD0 but it also spawns an actual bullet puff as well (very obvious if you use dehacked to give the bullet puff a ricochet sound).

The bullet puff uses frames 93-96 with sprites PUFFA0, PUFFB0, PUFFC0, PUFFD0 respectively.