Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DtM

Trenches wad glitch - why???

I have a wad on Geocities (unfortunately):

http://www.geocities.com/domthemighty2000/trenches.wad

I stuck four CyberDemons in the middle of a deathmatch arena designed to be on a trenches theme. I've shamelessly ripped off many graphics and in other cases ingeniously designed my own (you'll know when you see them, quite dodgy, be they). Anyhoo, if you play the wad, you'll notice that they disappear occasionally for no apparent reason, even while firing rockets, and then suddenly appear again.

WHY?! I cannot figure this out. Probably something quite obvious.

Whilst I'm on my idiot streak I think I'll mention NOW that it's a Legacy *.wad.

Idiot streak? Nonsense, just one minor mistake doesnt make it a Idiot streak, believe me, there are and have been quite a few idiot streaks around these forums ;D

Hmmm...after playing around in that general area of the CyberDemons I noticed they only dissapeared when I went a certain distance away from them. But the reason it does so is you have too many sprites in that area. When I removed the courpes in the area, the Cybers no longer dissapeared, simply remove some of the courpses for them to not dissapear :D

DtM said:
you'll notice that they disappear occasionally for no apparent reason, even while firing rockets, and then suddenly appear again.

DA is right: sprites that blink in and out of existance is due to the limit on how many sprites can be displayed on screen at one time. In vanilla Doom this limit was set at 64. Most source ports have removed this limit althogether, but apparantly Legacy hasn't.

Okay, I gots that working. The glitch still appears when you're up on the tower and too many rockets get shot, but meh... maybe when Legacy updates this will all be fixed.

I am presented with a new problem, again a dumb one.
http://member.lycos.co.uk/dtm2002/trenches.zip
I have made a feeble attempt at putting fragglescript in as a sort of optional briefing you can have, xept there is an annoying problem which I cannot seem to pin down. Does anyone knowes what the prob is?
(I included the seperate fragglescript in the zip file).

Mordeth said:

DA is right: sprites that blink in and out of existance is due to the limit on how many sprites can be displayed on screen at one time. In vanilla Doom this limit was set at 64. Most source ports have removed this limit althogether, but apparantly Legacy hasn't.

How lame is that? I'm glad I don't use Legacy.

Mordeth said:

...DA is right...

DOOM Anomaly said:

...Dear lord... :D

Will wonders never cease?! :D

well, I got a error like that too in zdoom... (btw, with a mock2 map :P), but I dunno if it is fixed... I think it is

DtM said:

Legacy's dead, isn't it?

Pretty much. There hasn't been an update for months. And personally, Legacy DOES suck.

ravage said:

Pretty much. There hasn't been an update for months. And personally, Legacy DOES suck.

Now now, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and in mine, your's sucks :P

DOOM Anomaly said:

Now now, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and in mine, your's sucks :P

Zdoom is better. :P

DtM said:

I am presented with a new problem, again a dumb one.
http://member.lycos.co.uk/dtm2002/trenches.zip
I have made a feeble attempt at putting fragglescript in as a sort of optional briefing you can have, xept there is an annoying problem which I cannot seem to pin down. Does anyone knowes what the prob is?
(I included the seperate fragglescript in the zip file).

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

...Seems to not wanna be there for me.

Yes, if 'tis the site you are referring to, 'twill be a Shockwave one, with many wonderful graphics, but for now it's just a place to stick all the files I need to send to other peoples, like wads in the works. :D