Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Heretic

Is there a limit to the number of frames on animdef?

Pertaining to deepsea editor, and a doom2 legacy project in HW mode.

Is there a limit to the number of frames in an extended animation on a texture?

How about a 50 frame animation? Dont question the motive, as it's far out there:D
Im ready to deploy fraggle scripting if neccersary.

Stock DOOM is unlimited and I imagine all the ports are if you do it the stock way. For example, I have a "movie" that uses 300 frames starting after FIREBLU1 (for example). Too bad I don't have more time, it would rock to do this in hires using ZDOOM.

All you need to do is insert the "animation textures" after FIREBLU1 and the rest is automatic.

I discovered the Zdoom animdefs limit a few months ago. I *think* it was 32. That's not to say the old method of putting extra frames between exisiting animation frames couldn't take it beyond that, or that the BOOM animated lump couldn't do more (frankly, I don't know), but the Zdoom ANIMDEFS method does have a limit.

I discovered it when I was sent some captures of the flaming sky from PSX doom to try and string together in an animation. I'd been sent a whole load of pictures, and put them all in a wad. At some point Zdoom started complaining. I think it may have even refused to load, quoting an animdefs error message or something. I pared the number of entries in ANIMDEFS back until I no longer got the error. Like I said, I think the limit was 32.

Just to be clear, I only mean you are limited to 32 frames per animation. You can certainly have a lot more than 32 frames of animation in total, just not all in one animation sequence. I have no idea if there is a limit to the total number of animations. I haven't reached it yet if there is.

Just found this in p_spec.cpp. It looks relevant.

#define MAX_ANIM_FRAMES 32

and

#define MAXANIMS 32 // Really just a starting point

Also, in rh-log.txt

July 16, 1998
- Removed MAXANIMS limit by scanning through the AnimDefs array to find out how many entries it contains and then allocating that many anim_t's. Also added support for BOOM ANIMATED lumps.

Enjay said:

Just to be clear, I only mean you are limited to 32 frames per animation. You can certainly have a lot more than 32 frames of animation in total, just not all in one animation sequence. I have no idea if there is a limit to the total number of animations. I haven't reached it yet if there is.

Just found this in p_spec.cpp. It looks relevant.

#define MAX_ANIM_FRAMES 32

and

#define MAXANIMS 32 // Really just a starting point

Also, in rh-log.txt

July 16, 1998
- Removed MAXANIMS limit by scanning through the AnimDefs array to find out how many entries it contains and then allocating that many anim_t's. Also added support for BOOM ANIMATED lumps.

The number of frames per animation is unlimited. Doom only stores the index to the first and last picture. The MAXANIMS limit is the number of total animation *sequences* the original DOOM Exe supported. To be more precise it was the size of the static array the animation data was stored in in the original Doom.exe.

kristus said:

32? weak

No longer.

From RH-LOG.TXT

January 31, 2002
- Removed the limit on the number of frames that can assigned to an
animation sequence with ANIMDEFS.

Go grab Zdoom 2.0 pre-release 39.

Heh, just noticed. The log says 2002, but those are changes made this year.

It's in the source code cab. Whenever Randy updates to a new version, he also posts a diff file. The first few lines in that are additional entries to rh-log.txt.

Location - same directory as the compiled exe's

http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars/