Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultraviolet

BEFORE you release your wad...

/me falls to his knees, raises his hands in the air, and screams your name angrily as onlookers say "What the hell is a shaviro?"

Being a 56K user, I actually have to agree with Shaviro. I'd rather spend the extra time downloading a huge file than have the author cut things out just to save space.

Funny... someone at school watched me surf this site yesterday, and asked me what a WAD was. I told him, but also mentioned that they run rather big. He said a couple megs for a bunch of levels isn't a lot, and in a sense that's right. But he said that because he has a fast connection. To me, it's not the download speed that determines "big..." it's whether or not I can carry it on a disk, whether I have to zip it or span it over multiple disks, etc...

Assmaster said:

People still use floppy disks?

People still use 56k?

Heh heh... well, I never invested in a ZIP drive, if that's what you mean. I do have a CD-Burning drive, but it won't do me any good; my other workstation is an obsolete laptop which can't acknowledge burned CD's.

Check the WAD thoroughly before you release it. Make sure there are no missing textures causing HOM. Make sure that the player cannot mess up in such a way as to make the level impossible to complete (such as by falling into an inescapable area). Look at every area of your map, and ask yourself, "can this be made to look and/or play better?". For deathmatch levels, you may want to experiment with bots and try to fix problems that they have, or at least leave a note in the text file warning that bots do not work well in the level. If possible, have a friend play the level and inform you of what they liked/didn't like about it. Try to avoid releasing levels that are "good enough", make them great.

Assmaster said:

Dell just recently started making their computers not have a floppy drive by default. You can get one if you pay an extra $20. Ah, it's a sign of the times isn't it?

Nanami said:

Dell just recently started making their computers not have a floppy drive by default. You can get one if you pay an extra $20. Ah, it's a sign of the times isn't it?

That's a bit off. What do they expect us to use instead as a cheap, quick and convenient way to transport stuff around on and be able to reuse it afterwards?

Either that, or they believe we all have 3GHz PC's with 50 gigs HD space, 2 cd/dvd rewriters, 1 gig zip drives and plenty of time to use them.

Oh wait, they're just trying to wring more money out of us (which is the whole point of big corporations...).

Ultimate DooMer said:

a cheap, quick and convenient way

Cheap? I believe CD-R are cheaper nowadays. Quick? Floppy disks are ass slow. Conveniet? Not if you want to transport anything that's bigger than 1.4mb. Plus, floppy disks are extremely unreliable. You just have to give them a harsh look and the data on them is damaged. BTW, you did hear of CD-RW, didn't you?

It's not like they're sucking money out of you. They don't come with floppy drives anymore is all. You can get one for $20, which means if you don't get one that's $20 you don't have to spend.

boris said:

Cheap? I believe CD-R are cheaper nowadays. Quick? Floppy disks are ass slow. Conveniet? Not if you want to transport anything that's bigger than 1.4mb. Plus, floppy disks are extremely unreliable. You just have to give them a harsh look and the data on them is damaged. BTW, you did hear of CD-RW, didn't you?

Yes I know about rewritable cd's, but the point is that not everyone has a PC that is fairly new, nor can afford one.

You don't need a good computer to burn CDs. And CD-RW drives are only ~50€.

I tried to use a floppy yesterday for the first time in a long time, and remembered why I hate them. I had a pile of about 15, the first three of which were corrupted and the fourth had a bunch of dumb files on it and was permalocked, but I finally found one.

I've heard people complain about how slow CD-Rs are, but think about it a minute... They can hold 700, 800 megs on them, and a floppy has what, 1.4 megs? If you think it takes a long time to write 100 megs on a CD think about writing that same information on floppies. That'd be like 70 disks, and those are even slower, especially changing disks, erasing old information, formatting, getting a new one if that one is corrupted...

But to be realistic, it's hard to consider using floppies these days. 1.4 megs is tiny. Anything on a floppy would be several disks, and just imagine how long it takes to write/read from a floppy. Plus you can just look at them wrong and they break.

I'm glad Dell started having their computers with no floppy drive by default. Good riddance. =P

Ultimate DooMer said:

Yes I know about rewritable cd's, but the point is that not everyone has a PC that is fairly new, nor can afford one.

Err, colour me stupid here, but this whole thing is about new Dell PCs not having floppy disk drives... so of course anyone who gets a new PC will have a new PC ;)... and anyone who has an old PC will have a floppy disk drive :)

Nanami said:

If you think it takes a long time to write 100 megs on a CD

I certainly wouldn't say that it's slow: my CD-RW drive (which isn't exactly state of the art) takes less than a minute to write that much, and just over five minutes for a full (640mb) CD :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Err, colour me stupid here, but this whole thing is about new Dell PCs not having floppy disk drives... so of course anyone who gets a new PC will have a new PC ;)... and anyone who has an old PC will have a floppy disk drive :)

roofles

NiGHTMARE said:

I certainly wouldn't say that it's slow: my CD-RW drive (which isn't exactly state of the art) takes less than a minute to write that much, and just over five minutes for a full (640mb) CD :)

I wouldn't say they're slow either, but I've heard people complain about it.

Shav's got it right, though i have to care about the 56k users cause i am one XD, and i cant seem to ever upload something over 2 megs without it fucking up (why cant someone make a "download accelerator" for uploading?), but i can put it on CD and go round my cousins/college and use thier broadband connection (though most free webhosts these days dont take files over 5 megs, hell some draw the line and 500k, which is stupidly small)

Yay for reviving old-ass posts, especially just to say you agree with someone!

Point was, less bandwidth used anywhere is good for anyone else anywhere that needs to use some bandwidth. Sure, there may be no shortage, I mean, that's why back when the archive was on CDROM.COM I'd always have to try several times before it would let me download a file in many cases, right?

EDIT: No, that doesn't mean there will be fewer connections used, but people can get in, get their file, and get out more quickly if things are efficiently packaged and well-compressed.

Ultraviolet said:

Yay for reviving old-ass posts, especially just to say you agree with someone!

It's okay, this is a sticky thread.

And for crying out loud, before you release your wad, tilt her head...
"just so.."

Tolwyn said:

And for crying out loud, before you release your wad, tilt her head...
"just so.."

Uh, I'm single again. Thanks a lot for reviving the painful memories, bastard! (Heh.)

netnomad312 said:

It's just that the new music can make or break the wad for me. I used Map01 as an example, but any of Doom 2's music gets repetitive. All of my favorite wads have new music...

I extracted TNT's MAP04 music and still play it on Media Player 6 today (screw visualizations you stupid bloatware idiots!). It's creepy, but sounds worse from Doom95 to ZDoom unless it's run through a MIDI eidtor (I use Anvil Studio). But with that nonchantant chore done, that's one sound I absolutely love! But yes, Winnowing HAll and Map01 from Doom 2 both are annoying when I play a new WAD in them. So I built the alias STAIRWAY to handle that.

alias stairway "changemus stairway.mid"

Assmaster said:

I DO. I have no CD burner and even worse my CD drive does not read CD-RWs. The only way to move stuff to my computer is by CD-Rs from someone else's house or by floppies. And the only way to get it off my computer is by floppies. But that will change once I get my new computer- USB Hard Drives! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Who even listens to the MIDI sound any more (well I cant because im to lazy to get my synth working under slack). But my point is I allways listen to Comercial music cds or MODs/MP3s when playing doom and I just crank the sound effects and turn off midi. I would prefer no one included midi sound in wads. If its a must, have a link to mp3s of good quality sound and let me burn them to cd or play them in a seperate process in the background.