Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sokko

No help for WinDEU32

As the title says, there is absolutely no help and no tutorial whatsoever in the W32DEU525.zip file. There's an init file, a readme, a DLL which I copied to the correct location, a license file, a What's New text file, and the program itself. I would like to have help, since the interface is very confusing; it brings up a "Results of WAD file guessing" box, then a box with "doom2.wad" in the top half and a bunch of names in capitals in the bottom. The only way to get out of there is to close (X) the box; clicking on any one of the ALL-CAPS things and then clicking Edit boots me straight out of the program with no explanation. If you do close it, behind it there's some sort of debugging box which doesn't do anything. The only thing you can do from there is click File/Open, which brings up the same box as before. Where on earth is the help for this thing? It seems to come with a rather scant number of files.

I use WinDeu32 ... well I started my map making with it ... then I got into scripting, but anyways it sounds more like there is something very wrong with WinDeu! When it starts it should bring up two introduction boxes (One if you turned it off with the INI) and bring you to the main menu (A blank screen and the toolbar options at the top) What you need to do is go to file and click either edit level or new level (New level starts you with nothing on screen and edit level keeps the oringinal level there) This will bring up a new window that wants you to choose a level number. Choose your number and away you go. My WinDeu came with a help file/tutorial etc. Your's should have too so once you are in that screen click F1 for further help.

I don't really recommend WinDeu. It was my first editor too, but then I discovered the powers of Deepsea and Wadauthor! I recommend Deepsea, but it has a size limit for your levels because it is shareware! Wadauthor is also shareware and only gives you 15 days of usage. There are ways around this, but I'm not saying because cheating the system is a very bad thing! So try out Deepsea is what I recommend! Then if your map is too big you can switch to the non-shareware, but moreprimitive editor WinDEU!

Never mind. I had some kind of beta thing, now I got 5.24. It has the help and stuff. Yay!

That could get confusing, as that was the download on DoomWorld's website. The documentation said something like 5.25 beta 3, but the zipfile said 529. I wonder how many people were deterred from using WinDEU because of that wrong download.