Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

HOMs that didn't appear before... appear in ZDoom?

no you downloaded the source, what you want 2-0-42.cab (I think that's the name, the site is down atm, but it's one of the first ones listed in /lars) which has all the necessary files you'll need to play zdoom (the exe, runtime, wad and various docs).

unless of course you have msvc++ and you want to compile a copy for yourself ;) but I assume you aren't versed in such things from your response hehe.

Well, I know what cpp files are, and while I don't know C++ (or have any C++ programming software), I do know a good bit of Java (did you know it's based on C++ and thus doubles as a DOS programming language?).

I'll download 2.4 beta now...

The ZDoom server seems to be down at the moment. You can download 2-0-42.cab from <a href=" ">here</a> temporarily.

The file 2-0-42.cab contains these 3 files:

fmod.dll, zdoom.wad, zdoom.exe

and no cpp files. It seems, you got the source file by mistake.

Thanks. I got the new ZDoom now... here are a few things I have to say about it:

1. It fixed my problem. Woohoo.
2. It fixed my fullscreen problem too.
3. I freakin' LOVE the MIDI selection thing. I can get some pretty kickass MIDI instruments on there now.
4. Something weird happened when I was playtesting. I got a message that said that somebody joined the game. A minute later the door to the room I was in opened and in walks this red guy, who proceeds to run headfirst into a bunch of barrels like a moron. I tried shooting this red guy but it doesn't do a thing. I decided I'd try another level. What the hell was that?? It can't be a real person, because no one but me has this wad. How do I turn that thing off??
5. Can I turn off the thing where the weapons leave holes in the wall?
6. I don't like the autosave thing. I save when I want, damnit... I found out I can delete the autosaves, but how do I turn them off?
7. Is this engine the first one to support swimming? I've never played a wad with that, but that was never an option in 1.3.

netnomad312 said:

7. Is this engine the first one to support swimming? I've never played a wad with that, but that was never an option in 1.3.

Swimming has been supported since at least v1.22 (and perhaps even v1.17). Some cool things about ZDooM swimming are:

1. Different gravity than that when out of the water, of course.
    2. Player takes damage when under water too long.
    3. You can have bubbles under water.
    4. In v2.42 you can jump into water and silent teleport to another "under water" sector when your eye level goes below the water surface (just like Duke 3D). The under water sector can then lead to other sectors that appear to be below the above water sectors, giving the illusion of floor over floor.

netnomad312 said:

Can you tell me anything about that weird second player?

Yes, by default the command to add a bot is bound to the A key. Methinks you hit it by accident, or mistyped IDFA or something.

Oh yeah, turn off holes in the wall by going to the console and typing

cl_maxdecals 0

On the autosaves, there is a disableautosave variable. Here's what Randy said about it...

"Added disableautosave cvar to control when autosaves happen. At 0, autosaves always happen. At 1, they only happen when an autosave special is activated. At 2, they never happen."

A little off topic, but since Enjay just posted, do you know how to turn off that stupid deathcam in zdoom?

Use3D said:

do you know how to turn off that stupid deathcam in zdoom?

You can't. Doesn't bother me because I like it. There was talk of making it optional, but it was just people talking. Dunno if Randy plans on doing it or not.

Enjay said:

Yes, by default the command to add a bot is bound to the A key. Methinks you hit it by accident, or mistyped IDFA or something.

So it is a bot. But I thought those are only for DM. Shouldn't that be disabled except if you're playing DM? It was the B key I typed, accidentally; I changed a lot of the controls, and thought "b" made sense. One other question, though: how did it know to turn right at the start and head through the door to the warehouse I was moving in? And then be stupid enough to run into the barrels I placed (they're actually short red columns I replaced with barrel sprites)?

Oh yeah, turn off holes in the wall by going to the console and typing
cl_maxdecals 0

They don't have an option for that? That's... stupid... but, ok.

On the autosaves, there is a disableautosave variable. Here's what Randy said about it...
"Added disableautosave cvar to control when autosaves happen. At 0, autosaves always happen. At 1, they only happen when an autosave special is activated. At 2, they never happen."

And where would I set these 0s, 1s, and 2s?

netnomad312 said:

And where would I set these 0s, 1s, and 2s?

type 'set disableautosave 2' at the console to disable autosaves.

Bots are also useable in coop games (so shouldn't only be enabled in DM). Although, as you discovered, they are not the most intelligent of players. They try and stay close to the real player, and attack enemy targets, but can easily get stuck on scenery or architectural features.

About the midi instruments... does ZDoom just look for 'em and display them as choices? Or did ZDoom actually install them? I don't remember seeing any of them before...

netnomad312 said:

Oh... I already have that .cab file. But I don't get what to do with all those cpp files. How the heck do I install it?

You downloaded the wrong file. You should get 2-0-42.cab, from the zdoom downloads page, you'll see the lars folder. Inside that file is zdoom.exe, zdoom.wad and fmod.dll. That's all.

Now, about that "small text". You simply need to set
con_scaletext=true
in the zdoom-user.ini file. Zdoom 2.0 does not use zdoom.cfg, it uses an .ini file which will be written when you first start, then exit, zdoom. You can also enter that setting at the console (start zdoom, hit the ~ key to drop the console, hit ~ again to raise it).
You can query settings in the console (type con_scaletext) and it will reply that con_scaletext is false. Once you set it to true, it will remain true and you'll see that in the .ini file if you open it (it's a text file).

About zdoom "building the nodes", it does not build them by default. If you want zdoom to build nodes, you have to use +gennodes 1 as part of the zdoom command line. I would not advise using it regularly because sometimes the nodes of a wad are already properly built so that no errors occur and rarely zdoom node builder will actually cause a problem. Happened recently with a wad I sent Enjay, it had no problems at all, he used gennodes and it caused several problems.

EDIT - Ah shit, I'm sorry. Somehow I had missed the second page of this thread. :/ Doh.

EDIT #2 - By the way, welcome to zdoom, green keys and more. :)

Welcome back, Biffy. Good to see ye on the forums again, me hearty.

Biffy said:

Now, about that "small text". You simply need to set
con_scaletext=true
in the zdoom-user.ini file. Zdoom 2.0 does not use zdoom.cfg, it uses an .ini file which will be written when you first start, then exit, zdoom. You can also enter that setting at the console (start zdoom, hit the ~ key to drop the console, hit ~ again to raise it).
You can query settings in the console (type con_scaletext) and it will reply that con_scaletext is false. Once you set it to true, it will remain true and you'll see that in the .ini file if you open it (it's a text file).

You mean about the tiny text I get in 640 * 480 mode? Well now that I can play fullscreen, that's not an issue anymore...

About zdoom "building the nodes", it does not build them by default. If you want zdoom to build nodes, you have to use +gennodes 1 as part of the zdoom command line. I would not advise using it regularly because sometimes the nodes of a wad are already properly built so that no errors occur and rarely zdoom node builder will actually cause a problem. Happened recently with a wad I sent Enjay, it had no problems at all, he used gennodes and it caused several problems.

Well, I wonder, then, how ZDoom 2.4 fixed that problem. In 1.3 I saw HOMs, but not in 2.4.

EDIT #2 - By the way, welcome to zdoom, green keys and more. :)

Heh. It was you, wasn't it... who kept trying to get me to try ZDoom. See, I was telling you the truth, that's for sure, about that other port screwing up Doom95. I think it changed the program. But that was so long ago I don't remember what port it was. ZDoom isn't a problem, I've found, because it's a program in its own right...

netnomad312 said:

You mean about the tiny text I get in 640 * 480 mode? Well now that I can play fullscreen, that's not an issue anymore...

I mean the text messages you see the upper left as you play, how they get smaller and smaller as you crank up the video resolution. If you want them to remain large font regardless of the video settings, that's the use of "con_scaletext true".

netnomad312 said:

I have to set that in the INI file, right?

It's easy to set it directly by editing the .ini, search on the word scale and you'll find it in about the second hit. Also, you can set it via the zdoom console...start zdoom, hit the ~ key, and you are at the console. Type "con_scaletext true" without the quotes, hit Enter, then hit the ~ key again to close the console. All done.

800x600 - I really like playing at that resolution and sometimes 1024x768. 800x600 is really smooth, fast, and looks great.

I tried typing that in the console, but it didn't change a thing. Then I tried it with an = in between and it said it didn't know that command. So I guessed I have to edit the ini.

EDIT: According to the ini, "con_scaletext" is already true! But the text is still really tiny. The status bar looks decent, but not the numbers (you know, the numbers ZDoom displays when you're using the next-to-highest screen size setting).

Actually I don't know what numbers you are talking about. It sounds like your console command entry worked fine since you saw it as true later when you checked the .ini file. No, you are not supposed to use an = sign, as you found.

The text affected is whatever chat your friends type, as well as other messages I think, such as "You need a red key to open this door". It does not involve any numbers that I know of. Maybe we are talking about two different things.

The only option I saw for status bar is "Stretch Status Bar." And also, I found an option that scales the text in high res so I don't even need the console...