• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jonprib01

The best editor out there

nobbjob said:

Wadauthor seems really stable to me.

Not for me.

WadAuthor is pretty damn stable for me. Actually, it's more stable than DeepSea (v11.65) for me at any rate.

I'd go with WadAuthor as the "best" level editor, with DoomCAD and DeepSea coming in second. I'd really like to see DoomCAD updated to todays standards and abilities (source ports and whatnot). That would rock! :) I'd like to recommend DeepSea, but SBSoftwares current "upgrade scheme" seems far to oriented towards the "give me money..and More money...and then some MORE money." That, and the fact that Jack and I don't get along anymore. Having a bug in a program that will crash Win2k and then requireing me to pay for the bug fix (or "upgrade", as SBSoftware calls it) is just plain wrong in my book. But hey, it's his business.

With WadAuthor, I have found it to be a bit "finicky" sometimes. Every now and then I'll install it and it just won't "fall into place". It will crash left right and centre. Don't know why, it just does. After a reformat and windows reinstall (I do it every 4 to 6 months), WA will just run perfectly. Most of the time it's rock solid, most of the installs (say, 9 out of 10). But once in a while it gets all messed up and refuses to work. Wierd.

pming said:

I'd go with WadAuthor as the "best" level editor, with DoomCAD and DeepSea coming in second. I'd really like to see DoomCAD updated to todays standards and abilities (source ports and whatnot). That would rock! :) I'd like to recommend DeepSea, but SBSoftwares current "upgrade scheme" seems far to oriented towards the "give me money..and More money...and then some MORE money." That, and the fact that Jack and I don't get along anymore. Having a bug in a program that will crash Win2k and then requireing me to pay for the bug fix (or "upgrade", as SBSoftware calls it) is just plain wrong in my book. But hey, it's his business.

If this were a Star Trek forum, I'd call him a Ferengi! ;-)

Wad author all the way for me, it crash sometimes, but thats okay.
And it is alot easier to use than Deepsea, and the idea of paiding for updates sound so damn lame...

wadauthor never crashed for me. tried deepsea, couldnt even shape or add stuff to a room i made. thats all i can do, just a simple room.
plus, the strife support is sucky as hell (is not complete imo)

WadAuthor and DeepSea are both excellent editors that operate on different
principles of WAD design; line vs. room. I've had no problems with either
of them, and find it quite easy to make look looking levels in both
of them. DeepSea seems to be more efficient and feature packed though.
Just IMO.

FYI, I used WADED forever, and then was forced to switch after my level
hit 460+ sectors and WADED choked on it.

Caco said:

wadauthor never crashed for me. tried deepsea, couldnt even shape or add stuff to a room i made. thats all i can do, just a simple room.
plus, the strife support is sucky as hell (is not complete imo)

Funny how posters keep forgetting that DeePsea can do everything WA can do - just use the prefabs - since that's all WA consists of. Drawing is much faster and more flexible with the downside that you do have to read the docs and know a bit more about level construction.

On Strife: LOL - how would you know it's not complete? That's a pretty silly statement since to the best of my knowledge I'm the only person (besides Rogue) that has the specs:-) I never did the form of scripting used - not worth the trouble since very few people even know about Strife and very few people would spend the time to learn the rules, however the rest is 100% there.

Most complaints about (the level editing side of) Deepsea are clearly unjustified. It all comes down to learning how to use the tool. Deepsea's drawing function is certainly wonderful, except for often screwing up complex intersections (although my old version of the editor might be the thing to blame there).

I prefer DeepSea, I think it's pretty much undisputable that it has loads more features than WA. I found it more intimidating to use at first, but once you get used to it and experienced with all the features it's much more powerful. It automatically does lots of things which you have to do by hand in WA.

People seem to get pissed off with DeepSea because it's a little harder to master (as is the case with any more powerful program) and a lack of patience on their part. Shame I can't afford it.

I don't have a full version of Deepsea, but it's still my favourite! I use my full wadauthor to finish my Deepsea maps!