Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
engineer

Unknown popping noise at the end of a custom sound... WTF?

OK, whenever I use a custom sound (normally a new gun sound that I got from DoD or some other game), I hear the gunshot, then a ugly pop at the end.

I don't know what's going on....... It sounds perfect in Goldwave.

I dunno what the hell's going on$#!@ Is it the Bitrate/quality that's not setting well with Doom?

What a great first post this turned out to be. D:

Doom normally uses mono 11 khz 8 bit sounds. Try downsampling it and see what happens. However if you use a port like ZDoom you can use most any damn fool bitrate you want.

Hm.... I don't really want to downsample, because I want to retain the quality, but if thats what I gotta do..... :/

Heh, thats like wanting to put in a full-size 64-bit colour scan of the mona lisa onto a texture for one of your levels, it just cant be done, you HAVE to lose some quality

Which tool are you using to put the sound into the WAD? Some of them do have a nasty habit of adding a click or pop at the end. There are plenty of files in the archives that demonstrate this. In ye olde days DMAUD used to do this to me a lot. I found that making the sound fade to total silence before the sample actually ended could help minimise this.

As Ling said, you should look into source ports like Zdoom if you want to keep your high sample rate sounds.