Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Arise my son...

another 2 zdoom dehacked questions:

1) Is it possable to make, lets say, and imp fireball, rise up the same was a bullet puff dose?

2) what is the flag that stops a dead thing from falling (ie, when the lost soul dies, it dosn't fall down.

1) I don't think so, I believe bullet puffs are hard coded, and there's no 'anti-gravity' code pointer atm that I know of

2) once again I think lost souls may be hard coded, but I could be wrong. an option you have with zdoom is setting a nogravity codepointer whenever you want so in theory whatever you kill (cacodemon for instance) will just sit there in mid air instead of falling to the ground (though dead body mode may override this)

Enjay of course knows this stuff better than I (better than most in fact), so I'd wait for his answer

Ct_red_pants said:

1) Is it possable to make, lets say, and imp fireball, rise up the same was a bullet puff dose?

2) what is the flag that stops a dead thing from falling (ie, when the lost soul dies, it dosn't fall down.

Both are indeed hard coded and cannot be changed. Especially the second point is really annoying and it is puzzling why no source port whatsoever has made this customizable. Maybe you could ask Randy for this at the ZDoom forums. It's a rather small change to the code so he may be doing it.

The first point is not so easy because the z-speed of the puff has to be explicitly set after spawning it. There is absolutely no special coding to achieve the effect so theoretically there is nothing to prevent an imp fireball from behaving this way, there is just no way to tell it to do so.

Ct_red_pants said:

If you just want the explosion/death frames to look as if they are rising into the air, you could offset the sprites.

There isn't a flag as such. The lost soul has a special bit of code in its death sequence. Most monsters have their no gravity bit zeroed when they die (including any floating monsters you may have made using dehacked) but the lost soul doesn't. However, there is now both a gravity and a nogravity BEX style code pointer in Zdoom. Put that against a suitable frame in the death sequence and you can make any monster float on death, or make the lost soul fall if you wish. I have played around with this, and know things work just fine to affect floating enemies that disappear on death (like the LS). I tested non disappearing enemies a while back too. I think they just hung in the air when dead, but I got some odd effects when I put the pointer in an unsuitable place. What were those odd effects? I can't remember, it was a while ago and I just remember things being a bit odd.

Edit: I'm trying to remember... I think something that helps the effect is to shorten frame durations so that there isn't much of a time gap between a floating enemy starting to respond to gravity (ie its death pointer has been played) and putting in a nogravity pointer to re-establish the item as a floating one.