Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Dehacked and ZDOOM

How can I do to edit zdoom.exe with Dehacked? I mean, I want to use the railgun attack for monsters, and edit some Hexen's monsters.

You do not need to, you can include your dehacked patch as a DEHACKED lump within any wad and it will be used.

As has been said, you don't hack Zdoom. You run dehacked like you always did for the old dos doom(2).exe, save your patch and then either load it from the command line (zdoom -deh patchname.deh) or stick it in a WAD as a lump called dehacked. Zdoom will read the patch and make the appropriate changes to gameplay.

You cannot change the Heretic or Hexen monsters using dehacked patches. There are editors like dehacked for Heretic (Heretic Hack Editor - HHE) and Hexen (HEX), but these are not supported by Zdoom and are not going to be.

Grimm said:

Why not?

If you mean why are HHE and HEX patches not going to be supported:

Randy Heit has said on the Zdoom forums that he has already done a lot of stuff in the way he has implemented Heretic and Hexen that would make supporting these patches a major, if not impossible undertaking and it simply isn't part of his plan to do it. What is part of his plan is a far more flexible scripting language (dubbed "Doomscript") which will be able to alter every aspect of the game - similar to Unrealscript if you are familiar with it.

When Doomscript is done, dehacked, HHE and HEX will be obsolete in Zdoom, aside from backwards compatability with old mods and for people that still want to use it - assuming dehacked will still be supported, and there are no guarantees it will be.

When will Doomscript be available? Blind Bambi! (No eye deer). It won't be soon anyway. Although the decorate lump in Zdoom is a first step on the road to doomscript. Decorate allows you to define your own decoration items, projectiles and exploding objects.

Well, if you can't even figure out ACS, I doubt you'll be able to figure out DoomScript :) If you can, I'm guessing it will be fairly easy to learn.

looking at the zdoom source I think randy plans on making it almost an extension of enemy classes, so you may need to have some basic knowledge of C++ objects, mainly just the syntax, which isn't really complicated

Grimm said:

Shit, this stuff is gittin' too complicated.

It can't get more complicated than Dehacked (ok, if can - just check out how objects are defined in Doomsday's DED-format - it's Dehacked without a specifically designed editor :-( ) Some kind of structuring is simply necessary otherwise you get an incomprehensible mess.

heh, dehacked is easy enough with the gui running, however I've been making the majority of my dehacked patches by hand for a while since, I dunno, I'm stupid or something.

anyways, here's how an enemy class is defined in the zdoom source:

class ADoomImp : public AActor
{
	DECLARE_ACTOR (ADoomImp, AActor)
public:
	const char *GetObituary () { return GStrings(OB_IMP); }
	const char *GetHitObituary () { return GStrings(OB_IMPHIT); }
};
now that's just the class, then after that each monster (each thing actually) has stuff defining their frames, sounds, all their properties, dead states, what happens when they attack from close and from afar, so you'd be allowed a good deal of control (complete control, or as far as the doom engine allows anyway) even allowing yourself to program your own attacks in, and I'm not talking making a new kind of fireball, something like how much Raven changed the doom engine with Hexen only without having to compile a new engine etc etc.

of course this is all speculation and very very far in the future, but it'd still be neat heh

Vegeta said:

How can I do to edit zdoom.exe with Dehacked? I mean, I want to use the railgun attack for monsters, and edit some Hexen's monsters.

The only thing you can do to edit Heretic/Hexen monsters is change the graphics and then spawn them in your ZDoom map. If you mean giving monsters the railgun attack, the codepointer is MonsterRail (you have to use BEX, not Dehacked itself), and you need to set the missile damage of your monster to make the railgun damage you. A value of 100 is recommended, as that will set the damage equal to that of the railgun scripted marine.

If you mean using the railgun yourself, you need railgun.bex