Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Burnov

Which doom source port is the most edit-friendly?

FireBastard said:

Sure. Be a hero and do it in 2 days. Seems like a natural way to become famous eh?

Are you a programmer?

If so please give me your estimate how long it would take you to incorporate this stuff into Doomsday. Doing stuff like this is my job so I certainly know what I am saying.

If not your opinion doesn't count because you have no idea what we are talking about.

Graf Zahl said:

Are you a programmer?

Not relevant. If this is easy - just do it in 2 days and prove me wrong. Like I said, you'd be a HERO - seems odd you won't take my challenge.

FYI, one doesn't have to be a "programmer" to spot the problem. Does one have to be a level designer to know how long it takes to make a big level?

But it could be that I am a programmer and am very familiar with OPENGL ( and somebody doesn't have any idea what "we are talking about" )

FireBastard said:

Not relevant. If this is easy - just do it in 2 days and prove me wrong. Like I said, you'd be a HERO - seems odd you won't take my challenge.

FYI, one doesn't have to be a "programmer" to spot the problem. Does one have to be a level designer to know how long it takes to make a big level?

But it could be that I am a programmer and am very familiar with OPENGL ( and somebody doesn't have any idea what "we are talking about" )

Obviously you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what you are talking about. If you look closely at most Boom features you will quickly notice that they have nothing to do with rendering at all. 90% of it is just enhanced control over sector and wall properties, something that can be done without any messing around with OpenGL at all! It's just the changing of values that will be evaluated later by the renderer as is already done now. I agree that messing around with the renderer is time consuming but the only thing that requires it is the deep water effect.

So please stop your arrogant 'I know everything better' attitude and don't lecture me about something I have done professionally for more than 10 years now. It's retarded and this post is the final proof for that.

Does one have to be a level designer to know how long it takes to make a big level?

O_o Are you serious?

Graf: I wouldn't continue arguing with this guy. If he doesn't even understand what BOOM features are, then he's not worth wasting time on. Of course I'm bored so I'm going to waste some time on him.

FireBastard: The reason JBOOM has such a good renderer is because it's the JDOOM renderer. The reason it's easy to add boom features is because 99% of them have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RENDERER. It's like saying you need to recode the renderer to make a door that moves slower than the usual one. You're making yourself look really dumb here. Not the kind of dumb people laugh at, I'm talking about the sad kind of dumb. The kind of dumb where people just walk past shaking their head.

Graf Zahl said:

bs blah, etc. So please stop your arrogant 'I know everything better' attitude and don't lecture me about something I have done professionally for more than 10 years now. It's retarded and this post is the final proof for that.

Who's lecturing? DO IT IN 2 DAYS or QUIT wasting everyone's time with empty posturing B.S.

You'd be a HERO if you did it in 2 days. "I have done professionally for more than 10 years" is hardly proof that you CAN do it in 2 days. Easy to say, much harder to do.

And since you seem to think one has to be a programmer to question your time estimate: YES, I AM a programmer. And YES I know all about BOOM code. And YES I know all about JDOOM code. Now what?

Why don't you just prove your point since it's so simple. Tell you what, I'll give you till FRIDAY August 8th to come up with a full BOOMized JDOOM (less the exclusion you made). Remember, you'll be a hero. Who would pass that up:)

Rellik - seems you missed the whole point - bah. It's more than what you think - and that is the key TIME to make the changes. So simple if you knew the effort it took to make the mods.

99% of BOOM is simple linetype / sector type stuff. How do you think that stuff involves renderer code in any way?

he's not talking about the renderer, he's saying putting that 99% of boom into jdoom would not take two days, and I'm inclined to agree with him unless you know the boom and jdoom sources very very well. I can't see it working 100% after just two days of work (unless perhaps you work 48 hours straight and never fatigue)

Rellik said:

99% of BOOM is simple linetype / sector type stuff. How do you think that stuff involves renderer code in any way?

Nothing at all, and that's what I am talking about the whole time. But some people don't seem to listen (or read)! It's really just cut and paste and then getting the whole stuff to work and that can be done in 2 days!

That's the weird part cyb, he is talking about the renderer:

Fire Bastard: Hehe - in the context of JDOOM? Don't think so. It's not that simple in an OPENGL setting.

Hey Graf, just email him JBOOM in the next couple days and tell him you wrote it. :p I'm not sure what would be the point in adding Boom to Jdoom again anyways. Meh, it's 6am, I'm going back to bed....

Rellik said:

That's the weird part cyb, he is talking about the renderer:

OK smartie pants, show me where I was talking about the renderer. That was only to show CONTEXT. OPENGL adds another layer of testing problems and conventions.

But the main problem is real simple. Cyb picked up on the issue right away. He's probably pretty smart but also realizes that if you pick up someone elses code that size/complexity just the grunt will take you 2 days (8hr days):)

I'm not sure what would be the point in adding Boom to Jdoom again anyways. Meh, it's 6am, I'm going back to bed....

JBOOM and adding the changes to JDOOM are 2 different animals. If you read the files you'd know that JBOOM is more than just adding BOOM to JDOOM. Plus JDOOM has support for other stuff unique still to JDOOM that only pure JDOOM users are interested in.

If I was making this kind of boast, I'd sure as hell would do it in 2 days and show ME. So simple, just a cut and paste - YEAH!