Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

I want to make a 'jump pad'.

Yes, I've decided to put in a 'jump pad' in my map, one of my most ambition additions yet.

I saw jump pads in The Last Strike Deathmatch 2k4, and it intrigued me. Now that I'm working on my own void map, I found that it would be nice if I could put some in myself. However, I took a look at it in DB and couldn't really figure it out just from looking.

So how do I put in jump pads with Doombuilder?

EDIT: Sorry, I should have made this more clear. Port is ZDoom.

Port?

If zdoom, then put in this in the sector: thing 9999, called "Actor hits floor" or something like that. Then you change it's special to ThrustThingZ, which is special 128. Then you change the 2nd arg to how high you want the player to jump.

Thanks a bunch.

However, I've noticed in TLS2k4 that no matter how fast or slow you are going, you will always go exactly to a specific destination. How is that done?

EDIT: OK, I found the thing type (72) but the parametors befuddle me. The first parametor is "angle", but ehn I attempt to put in the angle 180 (which I thought was west) it shoves me southwest. Also, I put in a value for 64, and it thrusts me a LOT further than 64 units....

AlexMax said:

Thanks a bunch.

However, I've noticed in TLS2k4 that no matter how fast or slow you are going, you will always go exactly to a specific destination. How is that done?

EDIT: OK, I found the thing type (72) but the parametors befuddle me. The first parametor is "angle", but ehn I attempt to put in the angle 180 (which I thought was west) it shoves me southwest. Also, I put in a value for 64, and it thrusts me a LOT further than 64 units....

First, for angle clarification: http://zdoom.doomworld.com/reference/defs.html

Secondly, the second parameter is probably the amount of force pushing you, not the distance you travel. You'll probably have to experiment to get the exact value you want.

AlexMax said:

Thanks a bunch.

Im trying to make one in my map now that this thread has been started, but it seems quite odd

I have Doombuilder with zDOOM for it, but my thing type 72 is commander keen. ?????????????????????????

I have the latest v. of doombuilder too, and i know how to use it quite well, ive just never seen any of this stuff u guys are talking about now.

what am i doing wrong???

chubberz said:

Im trying to make one in my map now that this thread has been started, but it seems quite odd

I have Doombuilder with zDOOM for it, but my thing type 72 is commander keen. ?????????????????????????

I have the latest v. of doombuilder too, and i know how to use it quite well, ive just never seen any of this stuff u guys are talking about now.

what am i doing wrong???

I think he made a mistake when he said he used thing type 72 (it is a commander keen, you're right). Where 72 comes into play at all I have no idea.

What they're doing is to use these special thing types that cause different events to happen. One such thing, called ActorHitsFloor, or somesuch, triggers an event when a player or monster hits the floor of the sector it's in. What exactly happens is determined by the ActorHitsFloor's Thing Special. I'm not sure how DoomBuilder handles those, but in my editor there's a button right in the Thing edit menu. Then there's a drop down menu of all the various actions it can perform, among them the ThrustThingZ special which throws the player up much like the Arch-Vile's attack does.

chubberz said:

what am i doing wrong???

First of all, a misnomer on my part. I meant "Thing Action" when i said "Thing Number". Thing Action 72 is labeled "H Thing Thrust" under DoomBuilder.

The type of editing we are doing, however, is ZDoom specific. ZDoom allows you to make Doom maps using a Hexen map format, which allows for many many many new things that you can do, since there are so many more parametors to work with. Hexen also allows things to have a Z axis, which means that you can make things float in mid-air, such as an invisible thing that you can use to make bridgess, or hell just an item floating in midair. Plus, you can use scripts to REALLY add some spice to your map.

If it's a little overwhelming for you, you can try out some of the ZDoom functions while still remaining in a fairly Doom-like editing style by making a map using the "ZDoom (Doom in Doom format)" option when creating your map. This allows you to fool around with a lot of neat stuff such as sloped surfaces. Once you want a taste of real power, you can try "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format)".