Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ghostpilot

What colours in the DooM palette is reserved?

As the topic states I want to know what colours are reservved in the DooM palette.
If they have a special function like:
Cyan = Transparacy
Green = Colour that can change on the skins.

The reason that I ask is that I'm planning a little experiment that has never been tried before.
Not that I know of anyway. I will put an "invisible" extra skin with coloured zones over the
normal DooMguy skin. Then I will dive into the source of ZDooM and battle with the collision
detection and map hits against my coloured zones on the invisible skin.
The result will hopefully be a basic locational damage system for DooM.

Cyan isn't transparent. Green is the only range that gets translated for any purpose in Doom. There are no other special colors... well, index 0 might be used for some hack, but I don't know whether it actually is. Good luck doing per-pixel collision detection.

Well, good luck with that :P

Doom doesnt use a color for transparency. Where a sprite/texture is transparent, there is no data. Thats the way doom's images work. See the doom specs to learn how it works.

Wow!
Thank you for the quick replies.
And there wasn't any garbagetext in the posts either. I'm impressed.

Anyway.
Would my solution with a colourcoded extra skin be a good solotion?
I mean it would be easy to cheat by changing the "headshot" colour to something else and you wouldn't be able to shoot in the head.

Any suggestions?

Could I have a max X & Y height for the skins and have % of the height mapped as hitzones? Or devide the skins into a net of 4x4 pixel squares and have a coordinate system to map hits against.
There are a few more or less complicated ways of doing this.
But the main concern has been that it would be so EASY so cheat.

Attempting to implement per-pixel hit detection in Doom seems like excessive overkill to me. If you really want hitzones, I recommend that you add code that just checks for the height of the hit.

Fredrik said:

Attempting to implement per-pixel hit detection in Doom seems like excessive overkill to me. If you really want hitzones, I recommend that you add code that just checks for the height of the hit.

I know what you mean.
The the point of doing this is that I want to learn more about coding.
That's why I take on a little more than needed.
But you have to admit that it would be cool to have more exact hitzones.
Imagine to be able to do headshots on the imps and zombies.

I got all fired up and inspired by Cory Whittle's Immoral Conduct.
All it lacked was locational damage.

Fredrik said:

Checking against the height of the head would effectively give you headshotability.

I know.
But then I would need special cases for every monster and new bits of code for every new playerskin made.

With the "invisible coloured skin" anyone could convert their old homemade skin into a hitzone skin,
by adding this new colourmap. I want the final result to be userfriendly.

How exact is the collision detection in DooM and ZDooM?
I mean, can I actually use it as it is and map hits with it.
Or would I need to rebuild it some?

If I manage to do locational damage, the next logical step would be to make some new weapon rules.
Like reloading and accuracy improvement if standing still and such.

I will ask the guys in the AQ2 team (action quake 2) if I can mimic their set of rules without being hunted down by them and beaten.

What's more "special casey" - defining a few numbers or creating a whole set of new sprites for each monster or player skin?

The collision detection would have to be rebuilt some. If I were you I'd start with weapon rules - programming that sounds way easier to me.

Fredrik said:

What's more "special casey" - defining a few numbers or creating a whole set of new sprites for each monster or player skin?

If people could define those numbers in the s_skin lump in their skinfiles it would be super. But I have been thinking. What about those monsters that doesn't have stomach for instance, would it be enough to define that hitzone's height to 0 then.

Fredrik also said:

The collision detection would have to be rebuilt some. If I were you I'd start with weapon rules - programming that sounds way easier to me.

Maybe. But if I will do things propperly I would also have tho change the graphic for the weapons, like reloading graphic etc.
I'm no pixel god. Sure, I worked on the DooM64 Absolution TC, but then I only edited premade sprites.
It's something completely different to make entirely new sprites from scratch.
That's why I'd rather make the locational damage rules first.