Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ellmo

ZDoom ambient sounds problems

Hey, I've added some ambient sounds to my DRD project most recently. They work just fine and blah, bla, blah.

What I wanted to ask is: what can I do, to put a sound source in a part of map so player could hear the sequence only being really near to this. Because when I add quake-like WIND sound to my map I can hear it all over; wherever I go. It gets a bit more quiet when I'm pretty far though, but I wanted those sounds to be heard only in... specific radius, or something. Is that only a question of modifying their volume in SNDINFO?

Thx for any and all help.

ellmo said:

Hey, I've added some ambient sounds to my DRD project most recently. They work just fine and blah, bla, blah.

What I wanted to ask is: what can I do, to put a sound source in a part of map so player could hear the sequence only being really near to this. Because when I add quake-like WIND sound to my map I can hear it all over; wherever I go. It gets a bit more quiet when I'm pretty far though, but I wanted those sounds to be heard only in... specific radius, or something. Is that only a question of modifying their volume in SNDINFO?

Thx for any and all help.

There are a few ways to manipulate ambient sounds in SNDINFO. None of them is able to stop the sound completely. The only way to achieve this is to activate and deactivate the sound if needed. There are 2 ways to do it:

1. Put a Thing_(De)Activate special on some lines where you want to start/stop the sound. If you want to see an example look at 007LTSD. It uses this method extensively.

2. If you just want to have a maximum distance you can start a looping script that calculates the distance between the sound object and the player and toggle the sound if the player crosses the specified distance. This method is preferrable if there are a lot of passages which had to be tagged with line specials.

Of course both methods only work in single player mode.

Hmm I have a rain sound in my wad and it can only be heard from about 6 64x64 blocks away. That's at .8 volume btw.