Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BattleCat

Edge ?

It seems there's been no real Edge activity since version 1.27...my friend tells me they're beta testing version 1.28 though. Does anyone know anything ? maybe what features it will have and such ?

I'm beta-testing Edge 1.28 Beta 2.

Here's some of the new stuff added (+) and the bugs which have been fixed(*):
*OpenGL palette remap
*wobbly skies en openGL
*Maxfall damge when swimming
*transparent floors in openGL
*projectiles causing no damage when coming directly down
*shot attacks now honour the RANGE setting in DDF
*tall sprites now display properly
*not detecting out-of-date .gwa files

+full Mlook range in GL mode (you can look vertically up and down)
+very basic overlay HUD (Better one will be made when HUD.DDF is implemented)
+new RTS ON_CONDITION: WALKING
+RESISTANCE_CLASS for DDF
+Prototype skyboxes

I've also noticed that it runs a bit faster/smoother on my PC than the previous version.

There's some bad news too though: MP3 support has been ditched due to legal concerns, although OGG Vorbis support will be added later on to replace it.

There's some more stuff that's been fixed or added but this is a quick look to give you an idea.

this sounds very promising indeed. and thet .ogg thing is very much to my liking.

I don't suppose you have any idea of knowing/telling when it will be out ?

and what about MD2 support ?

I have no idea when the public release will come out, but I imagine it'll be REAL soon now. Heh, I thought it would be out this week but instead of that we got a second beta version to test.

And what about md2 support? I can't see that happening in the near future since it's not even on the feature request list.
And even if it were, there's a lot more stuff to be done before even thinking about md2 in my opinion:
- The engine needs to be optimized,
- OGG Vorbis support has to be added,
- Network play has to be implemented,
- the new Wad Version II needs to be implemented,

and that's just off the top of my head :(

Oh ok.. it's just, MD2 support would be cool, and I'm working a little on and off on a mod, so if i was to make a huge set of sprites (which is a lot of work), it would be a shame if edge came out with md2 support and i'd have to make md2 models of what i just did sprites of (i know i wouldn't be forced to, but still)..

anyway, thx for the reply :) i'll be looking forward to getting my doom greased fingers on Edge 1.28 (..or something :P)

EvisceratoR said:

Oh ok.. it's just, MD2 support would be cool, and I'm working a little on and off on a mod, so if i was to make a huge set of sprites (which is a lot of work), it would be a shame if edge came out with md2 support and i'd have to make md2 models of what i just did sprites of (i know i wouldn't be forced to, but still)..

One little hint:

Never release a mod with models and no corresponding sprites. There are people here who just don't like playing Doom with models, myself included.

Heh, for bughunt 2 i made the bugs in 3D, then put in the 2D sprites..mainly cause the models are in anim8or format cause thats the only 3D editor i can use, and theres no way to convert them to anything else ("export as .3ds" doesnt even work, i tried to open them as .3ds files in other programs and they didnt open!..but anyway)

Hmm, the shot attacks working with RANGE should finally mean i can make a proper sniper rifle, that can actually shoot enemies that are far away...

I think Netplay should be at the top of the list. I could care less about fancy things like transparent floors, I just want to Netplay with Gunspc/Marines of UAC/Immoral Conduct as soon as I possibly can.

As I recall there weren't many console commands in the last version of EDGE, how is that coming along?

Console is still basically useless, although it's got a few new commands for debugging.

RESISTANCE_CLASS is something I've been waiting for for a long time. And netplay? FINNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! Screw the Zdoom Immoral conducts! now i can multiplay the real thing!! not to mention make some DM stuff for desert warrior!!

When can a public release be expected realistically?

Netplay? Edge will not have net code for the next release.

As for the public release, we just got 1.28 beta 3 yesterday, so give it another week or two.