Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marky

Pulling the player into a hole (ZDoom)

Hi!
I need help with a ZDoom Feature (Doom not Hexen, without scripting, if possible)

I made an underwater pool. In the middle of this pool is a hole.
Now I want the player to be pulled into the hole (and die there) if he nears the hole.

How can I do this? I don't know how to use the pull-thing and the wind linedef actions.

Is there an example or a tutorial or can someone explain it to me?

Thanks!

Marky

Those are old boom features you're refering. Hence they should be explained in the boom reference. And there is a boom features demo as well.

Hm. It doesn't work.
Sector Effect #512 is unknown to ZDoom, at least in Doombuilder...

Can someone explain it, how to do it in Doombuilder, or is there an example wad?

hmmm.
but I don't find this property in doombuilder. isn't it possible to build a zdoom-map with doombuilder?

all i can find is a "puller thing (#5002)" and a linedef action "wind/current by push/pull thing in sector (#226)".
but i don't know how to combine them. all that i tried didn't work. i found no tutorial on the net. and the description in the boom tutorial didn't work... :-(

to become a bit more detailed:
the underwater pool consists of several sectors. in the middel of the pool is one sector with a lower floor, like a hole. and i want the water of the pool (and the player in the water) flow towards the hole. but it should be possible for the player to escape the hole by running against the flow. the nearer he comes to the hole, the stronger the flow should pull on him.
if he falls into the hole, he should die immediately.

is this possible? without scripting (because I don't know how to make scripts and where to put them)?

thanks for help!

marky

If you want the water to scroll as well as pulling the player in, then I suggest using the scrolling sector properties. (you'll find them somewhere, as they're with all the damage/lighting/secret etc. properties) This will give the hole pulling power in 8 directions.

No, the map is in "ZDoom, Doom in Doom format".
Can't change to Hexen format, because the Map is part of a DM-Megawad and all other maps are also in Doom format.

@The Ultimate Doomer

I will try this and tell you if I made it :-)

Thank you so far.

marky

Ok. As for the scrolling property:

In Doombuilder there is no scrolling feature in the list of sector specials.

In the ZDoom Reference I found a list of numbers that should scroll into 8 directions slow, medium and fast (#201-224).
But if I write the sector effect 201 in a sector, it doesn't scroll, but becomes secret and damaging...

That's all very confusing for me.
Seems to be a difficult problem. I wonder if nobody has tried this before.
It can't be impossible in ZDoom, Doom in Doom format, because there IS a puller thing.
A tutorial how to use all the special things and linedef actions in ZDoom would be very useful.

Ultimate Doomer, your description of the Deep Water Effect here (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10367&highlight=deep+water+control) was very helpful for me. It's a perfect description. You should write a ZDoom tutorial ;-)

I'm afraid that if you're not going to use ZDoom/Hexen format, you're not going to be able to use many ZDoom features; the vast, vast majority of them will simply not work in ZDoom/Doom format maps.

If you really, really don't want to use ZDoom/Hexen format, I'd suggest using a different port entirely (e.g. Eternity), most of which do add lots of features for Doom format maps.

nightmare: making a DM-megawad for a port without network code would be kind of pointless. :)

I would recommend making it for boom if you don't like the hexen format.

Eternity doesn't have netplay at the moment, true, but it will do in the (hopefully near) future.

BTW a ZDoom/Doom format map would work in Boom with barely any problems anyway :)

I know, that's why I suggested Boom.

Anyway, I'm a really kind guy. So I made a simple example wad for you, showing _one_ way of doing something similar to what you want. It's for boom, so it'll probably work in zdoom.

If you want it to be harder to escape, just put some heavy friction in the nukeage sectors.

Ok, guys,
I've made it! It works. And it's very simple.

Anders, you gave me the vital(?, sorry, my english...) hint. Thanks for your example wad.

This is how it works:

Make a water flow with ZDoom, Doom in Doom Format:

First make a normal underwater sector.
Then put a line into the underwater sector.
Give the line the action #253 ("Scroll floor, move things") and the same tag as the underwater sector already has (connection to the control sector).

The direction of the line determines the direction of the flow.
The LENGTH of the line determines the power of the flow. The longer the line, the harder it will be to run against the flow.
(Note that all things in the sector also move with the waterflow. Also projectiles will run through the water without ending, which makes DM a bit crazy :-) To avoid this, you can place small sectors without a flow behind the outer walls of the pool and a flow into their direction right in front of the walls. Make the lines passable and put normal textures on it, so the sectors are hardly noticeable and all projectiles will run into the hidden sectors.)

Now, you can make a hole in the middle of the pool, and some (say 8) sectors in a circle around the pool. If you put the lines diagonally into these sectors, there will be a flow around and towards the hole.

That's it.
I hope, my description was understandable and helpful to others.

Thanks to all for your help :-)

marky

Oh, by the way, you can see the result on "Milian's Doom2 Server" in ZDaemon. It's in map 07.