Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jehar

Path following monster problem.

I get them to follow the path just fine...

It just seems to make them extra-sensitive to the player, even when he is 1000 away and has a deaf tag. I want them to behave like they have a normal deaf tag (so the player can follow the monster)
Anybody know what im talking about?
Any way to fix this?

Once the monster is walking, I don't think the deaf tag means anything. I am quite sure deafness is only used to determine when a monster should wake up or not.

crap man.

I thought the deaf tag changed the way the monster reacted to the player. Not how it got "activated". Is there any way to make it so the player can follow a monster(s) close behind them?

hrm....
wont that make them attack the thing?
will they still react to the players shots?

Only if they see it (ie. make it a non-visible or better, a non-existent tid). The purpose is really just to make him ignore the player (and he will even if you fire a shot), which only Thing_Hate can achieve.

When you make a sound in Zdoom, every monster that can hear it is set to target you. Deaf monsters know about you, but just stand in place until there is an unobstructed line of sight between you and them. Now because of the way the path nodes work, monsters only chase the path node if they have no target. This means that as soon as you make a sound, it is impossible to effectively use path nodes, even if the monster in question is deaf. The only solution is to make sure the monster cant possibly hear you by building the map in such a way as to block any sound to the monsters in question.

I think the thing_hate idea is the best plan. Unless you attack the monster it won't worry about you and you can set it to hate some imp on a room off from the entire map and not worry about it. Then you can follow it around all day.

This is the sort of situation that reject effects are made for. I've never needed to do this, but I believe it's possible to use the map reject to create a blind sector or sectors where the monster will not react to you unless you are in the same sector he is.