Baron of Hell
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > Doom Editing > Music question for Fanatic

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:35. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ReX

What hardware and software would I need to convert music in an analog format (casette tape) to a digital format (e.g., MP3)? I have a bunch of recordings that I've made over the years, and I'm concerned that the tape will wear out and screw up the music.

Also, what kind of software is available to edit digital music. I'm particularly interested in editing out tape hiss, unwanted ambient noise, etc.

Thanks.

Old Post 09-04-01 02:48 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Well... about recording your tape into an MP3, chances are any tape player has a headphone slot - you should probably have at least one cable that can connect that slot to the line-in on your computer, and you can manually record WAVs from there. (They're the most generic cables you'll come across, they ought to be in any store that sells audio hardware.) Find RazorLame to the WAVs to an MP3.

For the noise reduction, I think CoolEdit offers filters and stuff, plus you can manually edit the waveform structure - that takes a lot of knowing what you're doing though, not many people can get that right. Best wait for Fanatic's reply on that.

Old Post 09-04-01 08:49 #
Lüt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ReX

Thank you kindly. A follow-up question on the line-in connection, which I've not used in a looooong time. Would it be right to assume that the line-in is a stereo connection? If so, then the connection from my tape deck to the computer would be a standard cable that I probably already have. Once I've made the connection, however, what software is available to record the signal as a WAV file? Also, if I understand you correctly, RazorLame will allow me to convert the WAVs to an MP3, right?

Old Post 09-04-01 13:16 #
ReX is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fanatic
Old Post 09-04-01 13:40
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]
deep
as in Deepsea

What hardware and software would I need to convert music in an analog format

I don't know what card you have, however, there can be some surprises (meaning getting a quality product). Here's one review, of many, describing the real-world problems.

http://www.sound-on-sound.com/sos/1997_articles/nov97/soundcards.html

In doing voice recordings for a computerized playback system it turned out to be a real trick getting the digitized version to sound "as good as" the original taped analog recording.

A voice is a good way to tell, since nature made the human brain a pretty accurate detector of speech fidelity.

Old Post 09-04-01 17:24 #
deep is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ReX

Thanks to all for your help.

[Jack, it slays me to see that your status is a "newbie" ;) I know that when the forums were redone a few months ago, many member stats were re-set. But it's still funny.]

[For those that don't know, Jack aka DeePTeam of SBSoftware is an old pro, and has been around these parts a lot longer than most of us.]

Old Post 09-04-01 23:58 #