Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LuckyStrike

Creating New Backgrounds

I'm trying to learn how to edit levels for Classic Doom (Ultimate Doom or Doom 2) and I had a question.

What editors allow you to create entirely new maps (without pre-existing limitations), backgrounds (not textures or flats, but the big background picture), music, and level names from "scratch"? I think that a lot of wads that are made of out of order doom levels that use the original level names, music, and background look like crap and I want to avoid doing that.

Thanks in advance.

• What editors allow you to create entirely new maps (without pre-existing limitations)
    Any level editor

• backgrounds, level names
    Your favourite drawing program plus an import tool like WinTex, XWE, DeepSea etc.

• music
    our favourite (MIDI) music making program plus an import tool like WinTex, XWE, DeepSea etc.
If you want to know how to import the data into a WAD, search the forum.

LuckyStrike said:

What editors allow you to create entirely new maps (without pre-existing limitations), backgrounds (not textures or flats, but the big background picture), music, and level names from "scratch"?

Boris has provided a list of tools you will need to start building your project. In addition, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. If you're new to mapping for DooM, start small and focus on new maps only -- it's a lot of work to create or adapt new graphics, music, etc. and the learning curve can be quite steep.
    2. Despite 1., above, if you're still prepared to go ahead and create a "mod", there are several excellent sources of graphic, sound, music, and other resources available for public use. (Btw, by "backgrounds" I assume you mean the skies?) This may result in less than original work, but it will be far less time-consuming.
    3. If you insist on creating these resources from "scratch", use the tools suggested by Boris.
    4. I'm not sure what you mean by "existing limitations", but there are several source ports that allow the use of features not available in the original DooM wads. Again, if you wish to use source ports, be prepared to spend some time and effort learning the ropes.