Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

Map lines

Just a quick question... is it possible to make a linedef appear on the player's automap no matter what? See, I have a map with a lot of "fake 3D" bridges (for vanilla)... a LOT of them, enough that they would be hard to follow without their border-lines being visible on the automap. But I haven't been able to get them to appear, even when checking the "always map" box. I guess this is because there is no real difference in height between the visible bridge sector (where the STEP textures are placed) and the surrounding sector - the real bridge you're standing on is, of course, a self-refrencing sector that shouldn't get mapped (and doesn't, either). The only way I can make the bridge lines appear is if I change the height of the visible bridge sector to, say, 1 above the ceiling or 1 below the floor. Then there's a difference, and it shows up. But I don't exactly like the idea of applying AASHITTY to somewhere around 620 linedefs (and more coming) so that WadAuthor will stop bitching at me about them.

One thing I don't know is, what causes a gray line to appear on the automap? I know I've seen them before... if I could make them into gray lines it would be easier to see...

There are 2 possibilities:

1. Lines you haven't seen yet when you picked up an automap.
2. The ones you described - but only in IDDT mode.

There is no way to make them visible in normal mode - unfortunately.

Would marking the borders as "secret", to make them appear as red lines, work on a fake 3d bridge (I've never tried making one myself)?

Vermil said:

Would marking the borders as "secret", to make them appear as red lines, work on a fake 3d bridge (I've never tried making one myself)?

That's what I would have suggested now.

Hm, that would be confusing though... I'd probably rather knock the floors down a unit and go with tan lines instead... oh well, thanks anyway.