Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XDelusion

Making Sprites with a Digi-Cam?

I was thinking the other day about how utterly cool Toy Commander was on the Sega Dreamcast. Which reminded me of playing Micro Machines on my Amiga, and how utterly cool that was.
Naturally the next thought was DOOM. And from there the idea of developing a side project called Toy Fighter. Toy Fighter will be all toy themed in HUGE rooms, and will prolly have a version for vanilla DOOM II, and a re-mixed version for DOOM Legacy.
What I would like to do before I do ANYTHING is build up all the sprites first. To do that I would like to take actual pictures of REAL toys if possible. Such as some lego contructions, Little Army Men, Dolls, Dominoes, etc.
To do this I would assume I'd need a blue screen, and a good digi-cam? Does anyone have experience with this? Like what kind of lighting you need, where to place the lights, etc.

Ive thought about this beore, i think it would be kinda hard. You would need good lighting, but nothing direct, a shaded lamp, something like on movie sets. No flash on the camera, a very solid backgroud to make editing easier. You would need to measure out the angles well to, so that all the sprites would be the same size. And each frame u make should be taken from all angles before changing it.

I think it would be really neat to take a picture of the Samus Aran action figure and use it as a cyberdemon sprite =)

I've done this a few times to get view sprites for weapons. The end result can be pretty good if you work hard on it. Most recently I snapped pictures of myself handling a large Mag-Lite, for an upcoming weapon mod.

Haha, yeah...I dunno how good it'd turn out when done by amateurs, but it's a cool idea, and sounds very interesting. Go for it, I'd play it. Ditch Doom2.exe though, I don't think more then 5 people in the world still use Doom2.exe. Had it worked under WinXP it'd be a different story...

ShaneAmp said:

...No flash on the camera, a very solid backgroud to make editing easier. You would need to measure out the angles well too, so that all the sprites would be the same size. And each frame u make should be taken from all angles before changing it.

You'd need 5 cameras in other words, all bolted down on the table or whatever, with the toy in the middle. Should be very hard with lighting, rescaling the pictures down to the size of a Doom sprite, clear out the backgrounds of each picture, pixelize it (colour it, as it'd have millions of colours, and saving as 256 Colour Bitmap with MS-Paint would destroy the entire picture. Best of luck to you my man :-)

U could probly get away with one camera, but just have a way of getting every angle accurately, attach each frame to a platform, and measure the angles out on a surface or something. It would be hard, but then again, drawing them does to.