Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

Mirrors

Hello, I know doom never had mirrors. But i'm using ZDOOM(Doom in Hexen format) and I have some mirrors in it. Unfortunatly on certain angles the mirrors look like a HoM instead of an actual mirror. And on occasion you can see through to other areas of the map through the mirror. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm using Doom Builder.

Thanks,
SlatheDoomer

You should leave an area of void behind the mirror large enough to contain the "reflection" of the part of the world it faces behind it.

That kind of works. But it seems like it does the HoM effect when i'm outside the sector. Is this true or is there something else I'm missing?

A properly working mirror shouldn't really have ANY sectors behind it. If you can't help this, try limiting how far back the player can get from the mirror: sometimes they work better at close range.

Of course, if your map is supernaturally oriented and you want to be creative(i.e., steal from me), you can put dummy sectors behind the mirror with hellish textures(complete with scrolling, pallette change, and pulsating lights for good measure). This creates a cool haunted mirror effect that appears if you view the mirror from a certain distance.

Idk, but could there be a way to trick the line by sector refrencing? or is it calculating what ever is behind the line? If so, maby someone should make it so you can create a tagged mirror, *example* Tag your line you want the mirror to appear at and it makes its calcuation of what its reflecting, then it uses the other line's viod behind it to calculate the mirrored area... or something along those lines?

Meh... what do i know >_> heh