Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Worst Level Editors of all time

Deu was the first editor I've used (back in 1996). Well,. it was fine for the time, but now I got used to Doombuilder I find DEU really hard to use. Strange how I've managed to learn what is a sidedef and a linedef, making doors and traps or building new sectors from scratch with DEU when I was 16 ;)

Edmap and WadAuthor were horrible.

While DEU...I first saw it in 1999, I fell in love with it, and I still prefer to use it today, despite all the other people around me who praise DoomBuilder.
I don't know exactly why, but it's just the way it is :)

My father actually did some doom maps way back when... he used doomcad which if i remember correctly was pretty horrible.

I'm sorry, but pretty much everyone who said WADED needs their head examined. It wasn't the most stable of WAD editors, but neither is Doom Builder these days. And it had a very unique way of creating sectors that I have NEVER seen another map editor repilcate...EVER. Even now that I'm using Doom Builder, I feel like I'm mapping with oven mits on. I pine for the day of a WADED that works properly under XP and doesn't crash for no reason.

Worst? DeepSEA. Jesus fucking christ I will never understand how anyone gets anything done in that editor, way too many options little doodads. Add to that a UI that looks straight out of a Windows 3.1 program and a fee to use it on maps above a certain limit and you've got yourself a stinker right there.

I feel I have to step in and defend WADEd. I still use WADEd and I think it's fine. The only errors I get are my own stupid fault.

I once bought a book by Joe Pantuso (sp?) that had an editor with it called RGDoomEd and that was the worst I've used. It wasn't even registered so there was a 20 sector limit.

I think I also had a stab at DEU when I was younger but I never got the hang of it.

Deepsea is definitely up there in suckitude, the Deu series because I could never get them to work, and the others. XWE is good though. I use that to edit in songs, pics and things like that. Doombuilder is the best far and beyond. Thank you CodeImp for deciding to make such a wonderful editing program.

I prefer DeepSea, no matter what you guys say. I find it very easy and I'm not even a genius...heh! DoomCad was my first editor, then I went to DETH, ZETH and then DeepSea. The other editors I really haven't messed with. I tried Doombuilder but I went back to Deepsea, I'm not saying DoomBuilder is a bad editor, it's a good one but I'm used to DeepSea and it gets the job done for me.

Cadman

JMX said:

Renegade Graphics Doom Editor.

Hah, I built half my megawad with this, version 2.86. Maps of 1000 sectors and more. It's slow, clunky and tempermental, but I like the interface and the drawing method. I paid 50 bucks for it!
I currently use Deepsea, it took less than 2 hours to figure it out when I first started with it. Actually the main reason I like it is that there are many ways to do anything, and the interface is fully customizable, so I don't get all this flak about it being messy. I guess patience is a rare commodity when dealing with editors, but after using Renegade for so long I've got plenty of that! I also like Wadauthor, but never use it anymore.

WADAuthor is just so nice and stable, though with limited capabilities. I wonder why people hate it so much.

skadoomer said:

windeu 5.24

It crashed every time you made something cool.

Deu is my favorite. I use it for everything it can do. The rest i use doom builder.

Since getting XP, I probably would have given up making maps if Doom Builder was not made. Since I used Doomcad alot in the past years.