Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirjuddington

New SLADE (v1.01)

The DMapEdit source code is available (under the GPL), so someone could make a Windows and/or Linux port.

I tried it on DOS several weeks ago. It was the only DOS editor which worked. The way mouse clicks can insert things or overwrite sectors was unsettling (I'm used to a DEU-based editor where a mouse click is a common way to deselect everything). The biggest thing it lacks, like many editors, is the undo feature.

Where can I get the DMapEdit source? I might have a look at it to see how it does the sector building. I tried DMapEdit with Dosbox a few days back, damn I thought SLADE was the first doom editor to have rectangle drawing :P

Taking a closer look at docs/dmapedit.txt, the license is not pure GPL but has extra restrictions. Note well.

I don't where the source code is, I just assumed it was available. Take a look in the idgames archive.

Nope, the source isn't there. Looks like earlier versions of DMapEdit included the source with the binaries, but the version at idgames doesn't.

How about:
A) An configuration that is as similar to doombuilder as possible
B?)Free form drawing mode like drawing sectors in doombuilder

doom2day said:

How about :

It doesn't have to be exactly like DoomBuilder, you know.

doom2day said:

How about:

Why not just use Doom Builder instead?

SLADE is working great the way it is. Just a few things to iron out and it will be perfect.

boris said:

Same problem.

Hmm ok, sounds like it cold be a problem with the GTK timer. Next version will have a CVAR to disable it, hopefully that'll fix things.

doom2day said:

Why? Do it yourself, it should be possible. Plus there is a Doom Builder colour theme too.

doom2day said:

Uh that is in. The default key to begin it is space. Shift+space to draw a rectangle.

SlayeR said:

Where can I get the DMapEdit source? I might have a look at it to see how it does the sector building. I tried DMapEdit with Dosbox a few days back, damn I thought SLADE was the first doom editor to have rectangle drawing :P

Actually DeeP and DCK had rectangle drawing, polygons and more back in 1994 or so. DCK had an interesting ellipse method . I think DEU either added rectangle stuff or it was always there. For sure Deth had it. Technically that's what WA was all about :)

Heh well I know a few editors have 'insert rectangle' which pops up a dialog requesting the size etc, but only DMapEdit and SLADE are the ones I know of that do it like line drawing, which makes a lot mose sense IMO.

SlayeR said:

Heh well I know a few editors have 'insert rectangle' which pops up a dialog requesting the size etc, but only DMapEdit and SLADE are the ones I know of that do it like line drawing, which makes a lot mose sense IMO.

DeeP and DeePsea have had rectangle (polygon, stair, etc) "drawing" for a long time. So did DCK. IOW, the dialog is mainly used to set defaults like textures, size and stuff like that. However, you can enter any of the prefabs (there's more than just those) directly in DeePsea, bypassing the dialog. Double right click and you there's a popup list with the various choices (not that a dialog or not makes much difference in how it works in the end).

They key difference is that these can be sized (what you appear to call "drawing") interactively on the screen. DCK also did this - the polygon tool was especially nice. IIRC only DCK and DeeP did this around 1994-1995 in this manner and were alone for quite some time. Then others COPIED that, but like many things no credit given :)

What's more the DeeP/DeePsea prefabs can be "dragged" into position before starting since I found a fixed starting position rather annoying too.