Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMinator

Palettes

With all the new DOOM source port technology out there...do I really have to make a WAD with the same 256 color palette? Even if it must still be in 256 colors...if I import my graphics in XWE and use whatever kind of 256+ colors I want...will the game run in any of the newer source ports? Or do I still have to do it the old-fashioned way?

I was just a bit confused cuz I was playing the DOOM 64 TC and I understand it's still in 256 colors, but it came out looking so good...I was wondering if I should even bother making an old-fashioned WAD and just try to make one more for the Doomsday engine and others like it.

Depends on the source port.

If you want something with software rendering you have to stick to one palette. Most GL ports are capable of doing a wider variety of colors.

Depending on the port you want to use there are different options how to do it.

Ah..well...I'd like to make my own DOOM 64-like expansion, but I don't wanna leech off the one that was already made. Everytime I import graphics into either WinTex or XWE using the DOOM 64 palette, it gets all screwy-looking cuz it's trying to interpret it with the original. So lets say I create my own 256 color palette for my WAD, different from the orginal...how do I get the editors to work with it?

Hey, I made the Doom 64 TC palette so thanks.

If you just add the palette to your WAD, any editor should handle new graphics without trouble.

The problem is with existing graphics. Basically, if you want to use a custom palette, you'll have to convert all the graphics you plan to use from the IWAD to use the new palette. In other words, an entirely new palette is probably only a good idea if you intend to make a total conversion.

So it's just as simple as clicking "LOAD ENTRY" and choosing the palette file in standard PAL format? You don't have to change it into a LMP or anything?