Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Mapping Decline

Has anybody besides me noticed that it's become incredibly hard to make good maps now that everything has practically been done. Granted there's a few mappers who can still do what they do best, even if it is simplistic. It just bothers me that I can no longer pick up an editor and start mapping like I used to be, and need advice on how to fix my problem, and also figure out why this year hasn't had that many good newstuff's. Commentary is welcome.

You've been mapping for all of, what, a year now? Go take a breather and come back next month.

Bloodskull said:

Has anybody besides me noticed that it's become incredibly hard to make good maps now that everything has practically been done.

Uh...
no.

Always have ideas, but never time to execute them.

Dr. Zin said:
Always have ideas, but never time to execute them.

Same here.

Also, much of the stuff that is coming out now is pretty different from the more classic wads that span DOOM's history, partly because they are using features not found in the standard game. I think that allows people to innovate, while it still keeps some people centered on more standard stuff that has defined the game from the beginning.

Personally, I'm quite a classic purist but even then my project has fundamentally innovative (i.e., never done before) things in its design.

If you are totally out of ideas, play other person's wads. This is one of the things that always brings me some motivation and ideas to start or finish something new

Rofl. But yeah I've just been having trouble coming up with something that "nobody has done before", it just seems that maps have the been there done that feel, and I can't really distungiush it.

Mapping isn't like making a TV show, where it's hard to stay fresh after ten seasons. You could come up with a random map design on the flash and it would still be different from everything else out there. Though seasoned players may pick up an influence in the map or two.

Just sounds like you're in a slump. Take a break for a while. I've been mapping for a retardedly long time, and find I'm just out of time or motivation, but never ideas.

I have more ideas than time to execute them. There's allways something that takes my time, and if/when I start working in a wad, I move my interest from one idea to another, and at the end I have many unifished projects in my hard drive.

The problem is that it wouldn´t help, not even a bit, if we share our ideas to these with more time (or eficience in its use)/patience/perseverance/motivation.

Fortunatly we have many gifted ones that combine the good parts of both variants.

I never map with the intention to make something that has never been done before.I'm not out on making unique stuff I just like making good looking maps in mass quantity, I like putting my own ideas in and don't really care if someone else allready did something similar its still my own design.Every map I consider to be art not one looks the same so if we get to the point where everybody is starting to make exactly the same maps we are in big trouble ;)

I agree. While some maps introduce crazy new features and effects, we can rely on other mappers to (hopefully) see something they like and refine it, or use it in a different way. While it's cool to make something that's never been done before, those moments in a 13 year old game are becoming fewer and further between.

Vegeta said:
The problem is that it wouldn´t help, not even a bit, if we share our ideas to these with more time (or eficience in its use)/patience/perseverance/motivation.

Why not? A person with many clever design ideas can easily team up with a prolific and effective author and as a result they can produce something that is both consistent (well themed and with variety in design) as well as good in quality.

There's no map decline, it's simply too easy to get oneself distracted. If one had nothing else to do, they'd map much more.

Doom Marine said:

I've yet to see Classic Doom's potential fully realized.

I guess you haven't played any of Espi's maps, then.

I know this is a little off subject but in music there are only 12 notes in the chromatic scale. Sure, you can change the tempo and the order of the notes but in the end there are only 12 notes. To say that there are no ideas left is wrong. I have'nt released a map for about 18 months now but I would 'build' the map in my head at work and then come home and build it. I think its a bad idea to just play other peoples wads and then open doom builder. Take a step back and think it through before trying to build a map , before i get flamed Im not claiming to be an expert, just offering some advice.

Vegeta said:

I have more ideas than time to execute them. There's allways something that takes my time, and if/when I start working in a wad, I move my interest from one idea to another, and at the end I have many unifished projects in my hard drive.

Fortunatly we have many gifted ones that combine the good parts of both variants.

Ditto, can only agree with you about this one. Do your stuff that you're good at, don't look at other ppl's maps asking how can I make a nice looking copy of it. You design what you want to design, simple as that. And if you have some time free on your work then launch Paint and sketch something down and send it via email to yourself. It can be anything. Some nice architecture you've seen from the window in the kitchen, just anything that can be helpful and give more inspiration to you when you're back home.

I've been mapping about 3 years now, and I can understand Bloodskull. I want to push the envelope and do something unique and different, but someone else has already done that. Ok.

True players, and lovers of the game just want to play something new. Be some place they have never been before. Sure, I can say I saw that trap used in "x" wad, or that style of design in "y" but it's still new and different for those who have never been there.

I don't think anyone is going to criticise much that you used a trick someone else invented. Truth be known: wherever you saw it first is likely NOT the first place it was used, so relax.

I too suffer from some mental block preventing me from mapping. I need to just come up with some idea. Maybe the idea is old too, but I'll take it.

Concentrate on making your map a visual stunner. Whatever you create will prolly be something no one ever saw before, but make it magnificent!

You don't need 10,000,000 linedefs to do this. See the world you want, then make it!

And be a REAL artist who couldn't give a fuck what other people think. Make it for yourself and think "to Hell with the others" You will build something unique and different, and speaking of your own character and style that many will appreciate.

psyren said:
True players, and lovers of the game just want to play something new.

Not necessarily; "something new" is often what those who think the game "got old" want. I think the biggest possible hurdle is that there are thousands of good wads, so people will often be playing other addons and might well ignore or miss yours, even if it might have its own worthy touches.