Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

Zdoom sky size

What size does zdoom vertically stretch skies to? I just want to know what size a sky texture should be if I want it to be completely unstretched when the "Stretch Short Skies" option is set to On. I nailed it down one time but I lost the wad file and I can't remember the height of the sky image. Does anyone know?

JohnnyRancid said:

I want it to be completely unstretched when the "Stretch Short Skies" option is set to On.

You can get that much easier by adding 'forcenoskystretch' to the map definition in MAPINFO. Then anything from 200 to 240 should work.

Doesn't that just make the sky texture repeat vertically?

I'm pretty sure it's 240 high and 4x256 "round". Earth and Icarus both used "full size" skies if i remember correctly. and Phobos used a nice-looking "normal height" one.

thanks guys =)

Edit: I just tested it, it doesn't stretch, but it still tiles vertically about 2 and a half times. Is there a way to make a sky texture that reaches the full scale of up and down view?

BTW.... anyone knows if the look up down angle limitation will be there forever? In Software and Hardware Accel. mode?

I hope so :)

If an engine uses a column renderer, where all edges of walls are exactly vertical, then yes, the angle limitation will be there. If it wasn't, you'd get some strange visuals, like a badly skewed view when looking at the floor or ceiling, or possibly an error in the form of a variable overflow or division by zero.

As for making a sky stretch below the horizon, I've never seen this done before. You're probably better off making a skybox.

About the original post

I tried to do that, but on zdaemon.

At the end, i ended making a cylinder and putting a skybox viewpoint inside, with textures of 512 width and 1024 height.

take a look at them in this thread http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/42905-updated-shinffa-2nd-edition-soon-to-be-finished/

There's a map what does this also. A 'Great Bycicle Mistery', cant remember which part or which map. :S

Also, you might read this thread. Is for zdaemon, but you might find it useful.

http://forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=10695&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15