Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX - Editing Tools and Docs Online

Kaiser PMed me something very useful in response to a question so I figured I'd post it for mappers to see. Ever wondered about those MacroFloor/MacroCeiling linetypes? Well here's how to use them according to Kaiser:

"The floor macros are a bit confusing so bear with me:

These are customizable floor types (similar to hexen's). However, in order to use these, you must call line type 204. This is a VERY importment type to remember because this is used on just about any macro specific line type.

So lets say you want a floor to lower 256 units down. In your macro, call line type 204 and for the tag enter -256, and then call linetype 212 or 228.

Line type 229 is instant. So if you use that, then the floor will instantly lower -256 units, while type 228 is a fast variation, and then 212 is a normal moving variation.

Line types 244 and 247 are different, which instead lowers based on Z-Height. So for line type 204, enter 128 for the tag and when you call either 244 or 247, the floor will move to z-axis coord 128. Also, 244 is instant while 247 moves.

Same thing applies to the ceiling macro types. Line type 204 MUST be called before you use these."

Will it be possible to make a gradient color function between two rvb
values (between index color 1 and 32), almost like the gradient brightness thing?

DoomKn1ght said:

Will it be possible to make a gradient color function between two rvb
values (between index color 1 and 32), almost like the gradient brightness thing?

What do you mean by that?

Kaiser said:

What do you mean by that?

I mean you have an index color #1 with rvb "000000" and an other
#16 with rvb "0080FF" then you select those two one to make
a gradient between them ie:

#1 "000000"
#2 "000810"
#3 "001020"
#4 "001830"

#16 "0080FF"

So almost like a gradient in gimp.I noticed that index of color
are made with gradient in PSXDOOM like almost all palette and
stuff.
Or better idea, why not use a bitmap or a palette to build the light
index you want?

BTW sorry for my english which sucks sometimes.

DoomKn1ght said:

It's not that bad at all really. I noticed in your earlier post that you used rvb and I thought that it was a typo. Now that I see you using it again, I was starting to think that maybe it was intentional and, perhaps, French(?) was your language (and that was before I read that you thought your English sucked sometimes). I say that because, from what little I know of other languages, rvb could mean rouge vert bleu which, in English, would be red green blue or rgb.

Anyway, that's off topic.

DoomKn1ght said:

I mean you have an index color #1 with rvb "000000" and an other
#16 with rvb "0080FF" then you select those two one to make
a gradient between them ie:

#1 "000000"
#2 "000810"
#3 "001020"
#4 "001830"

#16 "0080FF"

So almost like a gradient in gimp.I noticed that index of color
are made with gradient in PSXDOOM like almost all palette and
stuff.
Or better idea, why not use a bitmap or a palette to build the light
index you want?

Unfortuently, no such feature exists. But that would be something I'd concider as a new feature in the future.

Enjay said:

It's not that bad at all really. I noticed in your earlier post that you used rvb and I thought that it was a typo. Now that I see you using it again, I was starting to think that maybe it was intentional and, perhaps, French(?) was your language (and that was before I read that you thought your English sucked sometimes). I say that because, from what little I know of other languages, rvb could mean rouge vert bleu which, in English, would be red green blue or rgb.

Anyway, that's off topic.

You're right, it's because I speak french, so, I tend to switch "rvb" (rouge vert bleu) with "rgb" (red green blue) without noticing it sometimes.

I stop off topic.

Doom64ex is more accurate than Absolution because Absolution
was done from scratch. It was quite good for a tc though.

DoomKn1ght said:

Are you sure you used the proper tense? Shouldn't it be "worked" instead of "works"? Startan3 has been offline for a few days now, and even once it comes back (if it does) everything that was on it will have been purged so it'll have to be re-uploaded there -- or somewhere else.

I have not kept track on this thread for some time, has anybody fixed the problems with the new Doom 64 Builder, like the 3d mode not working and textures going away for no reason?

Nope. I also don't have plans to support DB64 any longer, so anyone with more VB experience can volunteer to contribute updates, etc. I have too much bs on my plate right now..

Kaiser said:

Nope. I also don't have plans to support DB64 any longer, so anyone with more VB experience can volunteer to contribute updates, etc. I have too much bs on my plate right now..

I am not crapping over your effort or anything, i mean you have done a really great job creating Doom 64 EX and all, but i still think it's lame to create a half working editor and then rely on others to patch/fix it.

I had really put my hopes high with this editor since i was sure that you would turn it into something really great. I am still happy that you created a map editor at all, but still.......

I hope somebody will solve the map editors issues soon.

So far what I've pretty much been doing is creating the entire map layout in the regular version of DoomBuilder, and then copying it over to Builder64 and doing the lighting and gameplay elements, due to some of the issues I've had with the editor.

Hopefully somebody will pick up the source and clean things up. I'd really like to make a collection of maps for Doom64ex, but for right now I'm limiting myself to a single one-off effort.

As I'm working on this map, I've been keeping a list of bugs I've found. Some of these may have been posted before, but I haven't really been keeping track, sooo...

• Selecting more than one sector at once automatically overwrites the sector's lighting.

• A lot of the linedef flags are overwritten by selecting more than one line as well

• Double clicking on the macro window when there aren't any macros set will cause the editor to crash

• Copying/pasting sectors discards any information about lighting

• It's possible to accidentally crash the editor by putting in a number like "5-1" into a sector's color index box. I unintentionally did that once by not erasing the default of -1 in the index box before typing in a number :P

• Some other things I'm sure. I need to mess with it some more.

• When creating new sectors and drawing new lines over existing one, it also discards line flags.

AgentSpork said:

• A lot of the linedef flags are overwritten by selecting more than one line as well

• Double clicking on the macro window when there aren't any macros set will cause the editor to crash

• Copying/pasting sectors discards any information about lighting

• It's possible to accidentally crash the editor by putting in a number like "5-1" into a sector's color index box. I unintentionally did that once by not erasing the default of -1 in the index box before typing in a number :P

• Some other things I'm sure. I need to mess with it some more.

• When creating new sectors and drawing new lines over existing one, it also discards line flags.

These seem to be simple fixes. I'll see if I can take care of those issues whenever I get free time.

Ultimately, I plan on implementing a lot of editing features within the game itself once I finish porting d64ex to opengl/sdl. If I can do this right, theres a possibility to create levels from within the game itself rather than using a 3rd party tool.

Kaiser said:

create levels from within the game itself rather than using a 3rd party tool.

You lost me.

What do you mean when you say "create levels from within the game itself" ?

hardcore_gamer said:

You lost me.

What do you mean when you say "create levels from within the game itself" ?

As in built-in editing features in the game itself.

Kaiser said:

As in built-in editing features in the game itself.

And how would that work? I can't think of any way's to create levels without a map editor.

That's also what lucius plans to do in DarkXL, once support of Dark Force features is finished.

The interest of merging the editor with the game is that, for example, 3D mode is perfectly accurate. Everybody who has ever made a ZDoom map full of slopes in Doom Builder will know what I mean...