Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

Marble, demon fortress and doortracks...

What would you use for door tracks in a marbled demon fortress?
The normal DOORTRK looks just wrong and i cant think of a good substidude.

I got to the point where I just made a solid black door track. I made it for wolf themed maps but find it works well with areas that don't fit the default.

If the doortrak is 16 pixels wide, use SUPPORT3 x-offset 24. Or 4...if you're weird.

This would depend on what other textures you are using besides the marble textures.

The two main 'themes' I have seen that work well with marble are either blood theme, or rusted metal theme.

If using rusted metal, textures like 'METAL' work well. (If the door is narrow, you could even use 'TEKGREN4', offset a little.)

If the theme is Marble/blood, then there is the usual BFALL1-4 or SP_HOT1, or even SKY_3 if the door is not too high (otherwise you get the mountains showing through.)

'Course, the simplest option if nothing else works is to have no doortracks at all, and just use the same marble texture/s as used around the door.

Well athletically speaking you could try thinking of how a door would function in a place made of marble in the first place. Personally I would make a square nitch in the wall where the door could slide and have wood or metal back there. It would show that the whole place is not made out of solid marble, but rather just overladed with marble slabs, thus allowing you to later put in some "incomplete" sections that feature dirt and wood and open ceilings. Just an idea :P

Use3D said:

Or 4...if you're weird.

Hey :\

EDIT: Oh wait that's support2 i do that for

Thanks, i will try them all out, SUPPORT3:x24 seems to look nice for those big doors.

I myself have even another idea: "lower to nearest floor once"
Then i could go without tracks and it would look more or less realistic, but then the door couldn't close.

Bastet Furry said:

I myself have even another idea: "lower to nearest floor once"
Then i could go without tracks and it would look more or less realistic, but then the door couldn't close.

Use lifts. :P

But then you lose that nice stoney rumble.

If this is for Boom, lowering the door could trigger a doll to raise it again after a fixed interval.

Ralphis said:

EDIT: Oh wait that's support2 i do that for

Same principle. The spacings and offsets are much the same.

Creaphis said:

If this is for Boom, lowering the door could trigger a doll to raise it again after a fixed interval.

And if it's for Zdoom, you can define a new stoney rumble sound squence and apply it to any door, lift or platform you like.

Use3D said:

If the doortrak is 16 pixels wide, use SUPPORT3 x-offset 24. Or 4...if you're weird.

I usually break it up into two 8 unit lines. Then offset the right one -8. You'll end up with this:

How about separating the door from the frame entirely? Leave about 4-8 units of space. Just a thought.

Bastet Furry said:

What would you use for door tracks in a marbled demon fortress?
The normal DOORTRK looks just wrong and i cant think of a good substidude.

Some custom old styled mechanism may fit ?...

Creaphis said:

Sound replacements.

I just use METAL, if it is 16 units wide. Heh, maybe I am too classic but I don't really see a problem with doortrak in some hellish maps. Id used that as well, it depends on the map.

I have used SUPPORT3, even with the dungeon part of the map.
I hope i can find a good mix of (classic RPG style-)puzzles and fights and that UV is realy UV and not just a walk in the park. ;)

If someone wants to do a test run and tell me what i need to do, drop me a PM and i send the map in its current form.

CodeImp:
If you read this, please give DB2 a note function so that i can leave "note-items" (much like the 3d mode thing) in my maps.

As Torn said, I would use the METAL texture since it fits the theme better than the standard DOORTRAK/DOORSTOP textures that are commonly used. But again, it's personal preference since I just use DOORTRAK myself.