Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karnizero

Boom Tall Sky

Is it possible?

I mean, to make a sky higher than 128 px, so we can avoid this:

When we have F_SKY on the floor and ceiling.

Thanks in advance.

[EDIT]

It's suposed thats only for Boom, without MLOOK.

Regardless of the answer to this, technically Boom itself retains the vanilla behavior of HOMing when you put sky on both the floor and ceiling of the same sector, thus making it not too useful to you for what you're asking.

Eternity, ZDoom, and, I believe, PrBoom/PrBoom-Plus (among other modern ports) fix this nowadays, but if you're going for full-on Boom compatibility it's something to keep in mind... (see the Vrack series for ways of working around it for an identical visual effect in a Boom-compatible map)

esselfortium said:

(see the Vrack series for ways of working around it for an identical visual effect in a Boom-compatible map)

The problem with Vrack is that this effect does not work well with hardware rendering. I had to add several ugly hacks to make these maps work in GZDoom and it still wouldn't surprise me if there's still some glitches.

esselfortium said:

Regardless of the answer to this, technically Boom itself retains the vanilla behavior of HOMing when you put sky on both the floor and ceiling of the same sector, thus making it not too useful to you for what you're asking.

Eternity, ZDoom, and, I believe, PrBoom/PrBoom-Plus (among other modern ports) fix this nowadays, but if you're going for full-on Boom compatibility it's something to keep in mind... (see the Vrack series for ways of working around it for an identical visual effect in a Boom-compatible map)

What i want to build is a large and tall window, where the lower part of the window (the floor) is under the player eyes height.

From a "far" distance, the sky is drawn as i really want, but when the player comes close to the "crystal", that sky line comes visible:

So, what i want to ask is, more than how to strech short skyes, is how to solve this to make the sky look good when the player comes close to the window.

That sky, as shown at that image, is drawn with a "Transfer_Sky_Texture" ldef action. The texture on the ldef is 256x128, so, maybe, if i resize such texture to a 256 (or more) height, it can be drawn taller when renderized as a sky.
Or it will be resized by the Boom engine to match a height of 128?

Thanks again.