Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
demon_ninja672

Appliyng new textures to weapons

I've been using the DECORATE for a bit and I think I understand it. However I wanted to know how I could get like ... oh say ... a knife image or a different gun for a weapon. Like using the Knife image I've made (which I haven't but I will soon) and applying it to the new weapon I have put into my map. I want to know two things

-How to apply a texture for the outside appearance of the gun (before it's picked up)
and
-How to apply textures to the appearance of the guns while holding them.

I've learned how to import textures for like walls and floors but not for weapons or in fact .. ANY items. And then getting them to work.

I'm using DoomBuilder and XWE.

demon_ninja672 said:

I've been using the DECORATE for a bit and I think I understand it. However I wanted to know how I could get like ... oh say ... a knife image or a different gun for a weapon. Like using the Knife image I've made (which I haven't but I will soon) and applying it to the new weapon I have put into my map. I want to know two things

-How to apply a texture for the outside appearance of the gun (before it's picked up)
and
-How to apply textures to the appearance of the guns while holding them.

I've learned how to import textures for like walls and floors but not for weapons or in fact .. ANY items. And then getting them to work.

I'm using DoomBuilder and XWE.

I'm assuming that you're using sprites and not models (although the principle is the same). So here goes:

1. In your DECORATE definition, you should have a Spawn definition. For example, the defintion for the chainsaw is:
    Spawn:
    CSAW A -1
    Stop
    "CSAW" is the name of the sprite (image) that is included in DooM(2).wad, and which appears in-game. [This is what you refer to as "texture for the outside appearance of the gun (before it's picked up)".] What you need to do is create an image (sprite) of your knife, give it an appropriate name, insert it into your wad, then put the name into your spawn definition.
    2. You will need to insert the knife sprite into the wad between a marker named S_START and S_END. Using XWE you will open your wad, click on 'Entry' in the menu bar to bring down the Entry options, and click on 'New'. Then right-click this new entry and select 'Rename'. Change the name from 'UNTITLED' to S_START. Do the same for S_END.
    3. For what you call "textures to the appearance of the guns while holding them" you will do something quite similar. In your DECORATE definition, you should have definitions for Ready, Deselect, Select, and Fire. The chainsaw has four "animation frames" for these states - SAWGA0, SAWGB0, SAWGC0, and SAWGD0. Assume that your knife has four frames too (although you can have more, if you wish), you will need to create images for each of your four knife states. Then give them appropriate names, insert them into your wad, then put the names into your spawn definition.
    4. Use Step 4, above, to insert the sprites for the knife states into your wad. Once again, you'll need to keep them between S_START and S_END markers.
ZDooM (and GZDooM) allow you to define all your texture-based resources (textures, flats, sprites, etc.) in a lump named TEXTURES. In other words, you can skip the S_START & S_END entry creation, put all your sprites into the wad without using markers, and define your sprites in the TEXTURES lump. In this way, you can use and graphic resource for any graphic-related application in your game. For example, you can use your knife sprite as a "decoration" on a wall. My suggestion to you, however, is to stick with the markers for now.

This is gonna really help me, thanks. I'm surprised though that adding textures to weapons isn't much more different from that of textures for walls. I tried it out and it works pretty well to change the appearance of previous exsisting weapons (obviously not replacing them but only using them in my map) but I will try to make new weapons and apply the textures. But thanks for the help.