Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Editing Help

So it seems after staying away from the editor for so long I've lost my creativity/designs. Does anyone have any useful advanced tutorials/techniques to read up on to get back into editing?

Thanks
Bloodskull

if you are looking for tutorials, look up Chubzdoomer on youtube. He's pretty good at it.

And for ideas i would just play custom maps or even actual doom1 or 2 maps to get the creative juices flowin, helps a bit. Stray away from just copying it though.

Download a famous wad, change the textfile, do a nodebuild so the md5sum is different and pass it off as your own. Easy! :P

Nah seriously, I've been looking at level maps and architecture from other games to get some ideas. The Baldur's Gates have some cool dungeons.

Even just getting a nice shape for a single room, or a piece of architecture to replicate can spark some creativity.

Listen to some epic or fast paced music and be inspired by it. I've done a number of (usually short) maps that were inspired by songs.

Listen to metal a whole night while you are playing around with a level editor and bang! You got a level done.

Smoke some weed, drink some beer, eat some mushrooms... the possibilities are endless!!! Just get really fucked up and fuck around on the editor. Who knows what you will create?

Seriously though, just throw lines together. That is the best way.

Torn said:

Listen to metal a whole night while you are playing around with a level editor and bang! You got a level done.

I should try this, i don't know why but i kinda lean away from listening to music. Blame Call of Duty because when you are playing Search & Destroy, last man standing, and the enemy has radar, you are going to need your ears to survive.

I like to play other games with completely different styles, gameplay styles, and even other genres. Or sometimes I think of memorable moments in doom, or any game, or level design I really appreciated recently.

Or, think of some interesting geometric shapes you can turn into a room. Now pick certain parts of the room to be higher up than others, and put monsters up there.

You could try doing rough sketches, let your imagination run wild thats what I say. Listening to music and playing other games to get ideas also seems to help.