Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andyman3k

Custom explosion radius

I've done my research and I still cannot figure this out. How/what would I do to modify the toxic barrel explosion to be a much more massive explosion radius and damage? I just can't find anything in dehacked that would do this. 128 units is far too small for me, I need something more like 256-512. (I'm creating a miniature bomb)

I don't know how to do that, but if you're using zdoom - what about editing an existing thing and adding the barrel explosion death states to it or whatever, and give the new thing invisible sprites (except the death/explosion frames), and make the new thing not an obstacle or shootable and give it tons of health, then place some of those new things around the bomb and give them all the same thing tag, then use Thing_Destroy when the bomb explodes so that it destroys the new things and makes a big/wide explosion?

Well, I'm wanting it to be throwable; It's replacing the rocket launcher. I've made the "rocket" use projectile and made it use the exploding barrel frames, so it rests until it's shot. I plan on making it look like a propane tank soon. So I would need to do something like spawn more explosions upon the barrels "death", like a pain elemental spawns its lost souls when it dies.

The "mine layer" (plasma rifle replacement) in The Sky May Be might be something worth looking at. The projectile from the gun lands on the ground, lasts a couple seconds and then uses the Pain Elemental's death codepointers (I think) to spawn three new "mines" which constantly put out explosions until they destroy themselves. Maybe you could make a gun like this where the projectile doesn't die on its own but needs to be shot, and where the "mines" are invisible and just explode once or twice before disappearing. However, an issue with this mine layer weapon is that the three "mines" at first bounce towards the player, just like lost souls from a dying pain elemental will fly towards the player. I don't know how this behaviour could be changed.

Well, I figured it out, so I thought I would post how I did it in case anybody else wants to do something similar in the future.

Thing 34 (Rocket in flight)
Initial frame = 806  #first frame of sitting barrel
Hit points = 1
Death frame = 808    #first frame of the barrel exploding
Speed = 35
Mass = 70
Missile damage = 400 #change this to adjust hugeness of explosion
Bits = SHOOTABLE + TELEPORT + NOBLOOD

Frame 806     
Duration = 6   
next frame = 807
                    #ensures that it never reaches the death state
                    #until you shoot it
Frame 807
Duration = 6
next frame = 806

[CODEPTR]
Frame 809 = DETONATE    #tells doom to use Missile damage instead of default barrel explosion range & damage
             #(frame 809 is the second frame in the barrel explosion sequence)
The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to disable the rocket trail sprite. Right now, the sprite just sits next to the barrel until it blows up.

(Note: If you're gonna use this, remove all the # comments)

TimeOfDeath said:

I don't know how to do that, but if you're using zdoom - what about editing an existing thing and adding the barrel explosion death states to it or whatever, and give the new thing invisible sprites (except the death/explosion frames), and make the new thing not an obstacle or shootable and give it tons of health, then place some of those new things around the bomb and give them all the same thing tag, then use Thing_Destroy when the bomb explodes so that it destroys the new things and makes a big/wide explosion?

Overly complicated. To make a big explosion in ZDoom, just use DECORATE.
For example: A_Explode (200, 512) results in a big explosion spread over a radius of 512, dealing 200 points at the epicenter.

I was a decorate noob until I finally had some experiments done in Zdoom. I created a barrel with much higher explosion. Might see if I can locate the file and show it to you. I should have it here somewhere on my 900 GB harddrive, but if I find it then I'll post the dec code so you can reuse it.