Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Eternus

Anchored "Portal" Question

Concerning Anchored Portals, is there any limit to the complexity allowed of the sector anchoring the portal? I'm finding my extremely small edges of a portal I'm using to simulate a fairly intricate hole are creating anomalies when viewed in the right direction.

I'm assuming you're referring to anchored portals in Eternity.

In any case, it's hard to say for certain without actually seeing your map, but if I had to guess based on your description I'd say the most likely problem is that your portal layers are built too close to each other, so the portal camera ends up in a place it shouldn't go when you stand in certain positions.

There's a visual example of what I'm talking about on the basic-portals tutorial page on the Eternity wiki: http://eternity.youfailit.net/index.php?title=Portals (at the very bottom of the page)

Hope this helps! :)

Honestly I was talking more of ZDoom's Lower/Upper Sector Portals, although I was under the impression they are the same thing. Thanks for the quick response though, luckily I can just ALLBLACK the area I considered for portaling.

Oh, heh. My condolences, then.

With ZDoom's portals, you're going to run into trouble almost any time you use raised floors in a ceiling portal, or lowered ceilings in a floor portal. The only real way to work around that in most cases is to use midtextures to fake the "offending" structures instead of making them actually solid, to avoid the HOM that it'd otherwise give you when the portal camera goes into or behind the solid structures.

esselfortium said:

Oh, heh. My condolences, then.

With ZDoom's portals, you're going to run into trouble almost any time you use raised floors in a ceiling portal, or lowered ceilings in a floor portal. The only real way to work around that in most cases is to use midtextures to fake the "offending" structures instead of making them actually solid, to avoid the HOM that it'd otherwise give you when the portal camera goes into or behind the solid structures.

No, its not your fault. I meant I was under the impression that they are the same thing. Otherwise I would have called it by ZDoom's Lower/Upper Portal system.

Anyway, I doubt that with the current design plan I have I could do anything to fix the HOM so I'll just go with a black background to it (kind of helps with the atmosphere of the area anyhow http://img43.imageshack.us/i/builder2009102323243930.png/)